dirt inside air filter of 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I clean my air filter on my 026 with every tank full of fuel. so I noticed the last time that there was some sawdust inside it. so the question is am I missing a gasket or an o-ring? or do I need a new air filter? has anyone else had this problem?
DSCN0799_zpsopkiv2f8.jpg
DSCN0800_zpsqmecu8az.jpg
DSCN0801_zpskozhzfsd.jpg

Bottom left of left (outside) half is dirty, corresponding other half is also dirty in this position.

If it is usually clean inside, maybe on the last cleaning the halves weren't fitted together very well or
had crap between them that let more in.

Just a suggestion :)

No... there ain't any o-ring, gasket, or seal.
Mine will occasionally have a little crap in it like that, the filter isn't perfect... but the new ones are better than the original ones of the '90s, on those the flocking didn't hold up as well. If the filter gets a bit fouled it'll start sucking harder around places that can leak, such as the choke lever. It also depends on the wood being cut, or more like the amount of dust rather than chips flying about. A little bit of wood dust ain't gonna' hurt the saw, it'll chew that up and spit it out no problem.

However, it could be the filter, especially around the choke lever, has become worn a little allowing more crap in... or maybe where it snaps together has warped some. They don't cost much, I've replaced mine a couple of times... I keep the old one for an emergency spare... ya' just never know.

Another thing... if the saw is running a bit rich it will spit back from the carb, dampening the filter, causing it to collect more of the crap that normally ends up exiting the exhaust. Also... check the fuel line where it passes through the fuel tank. Mine started leaking there and would soak the filter every time the saw was turned on its side... the "grommet" (or whatever that bulged part of the line is called) had gotten hard and lost its ability to seal.

I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning my saws. Whenever the stop button or the choke lever doesn't work I clean it or every 200 cords whichever comes 1st. Spidy is right though the sawdust mustn't hurt too much or this saw would have calved long ago. I blow off the outside quite often but never took the cover off until the stop button quit working. I then checked my 056 and it was the same just not quite as bad. I bought all new filters anyway just in case something was warped, missing or just toast. That's the trouble with having too many saws when one quits you just pick up another. Never get time to fix them.
IMG_20151211_202702.jpg IMG_20151211_202707.jpg IMG_20151211_202759.jpg

I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning my saws. Whenever the stop button or the choke lever doesn't work I clean it or every 200 cords whichever comes 1st. Spidy is right though the sawdust mustn't hurt too much or this saw would have calved long ago. I blow off the outside quite often but never took the cover off until the stop button quit working. I then checked my 056 and it was the same just not quite as bad. I bought all new filters anyway just in case something was warped, missing or just toast. That's the trouble with having too many saws when one quits you just pick up another. Never get time to fix them.
View attachment 482707 View attachment 482708 View attachment 482709
:cry::cry::cry:

There is an o-ring on my saw but it isn't on the carb intake.

Attachments

• 20160131_195926.jpg
    20160131_195926.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
That is absolutely nothing for debris. You should see what comes through my 550XPG and 562XPG.

View attachment 482707 View attachment 482708 View attachment 482709

My saws run like **** if you let the filters get that dirty.

If you install the filters correctly I get about nothing passing to the inside.

If u look where the two halves meet and the choke lever comes through there is a gap. Put a little grease in that spot and around the seem. Ive been doing this on mine for 17 years with no leaks. When it gets dirty wash it off with Dawn soap and repeat.

Properly maintained and you should be fine, you should try the outdoor power equipment forum, most of the knowledgable chainsaw guys from here are over there now.

Back