February is coldest month on record in Ontario and Quebec:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pellet shortage over here , line ups when they show up , good luck trying to buy tractor trailer loads of logs , nobody can get to the woodlots , even in areas that usually never have accumulations of 6" or more .
I never had a weekend with more than 10" of snow last year slowing me down , 2'+ this year here and I'm lucky , most have got 5' or more and you would't believe the ice , I've seen some parking lots with a foot of ice , the worst I can remember in the 30 years that I've been paying attention .

Dont feel like the temps will ever go up does it?
it's in the 30's and 40's here now , which seems like a heatwave compared to 0 degrees , but i am told never to fear that more cold and snow is on the way , it seems old man winter is determined to go out in a knock down drag out fight before spring .

We've had a record winter too, but just the opposite. Warm temps and not much snow.

Same thing in Utah. Maybe one of the warmest if not the warmest on record. Several days it got into the 60's here in February. Elevation is 5300'. We didn't get any snow until yesterday, the last day of the month. One of the nicest February's I can recall. We are going to be hurting for water come this summer.

El Nino

I guess our area hasn't been hit as hard as some of you guys. Maybe about a foot of snow/ice mix on the ground, and the temps seem to be about normal for this time of year. We're "supposed" to start warming up later on this week so maybe the accumulation will decrease soon. Until we get into April I don't consider it over with yet.

"Normal" for us this time of year is highs in the low 40s F. Yesterday I had to shovel 8 inches of new snow and right now it is 18ºF. I live in a zone 5/6 area so the minimum they use for plant hardiness is -10ºF. We have seen plenty of days that didn't get much warmer than that this year so I am waiting to see if I lost any trees to the weather. About 25 years ago I did lose an ornamental tree from my yard on an unusually cold winter.

October, November and December was colder than "normal"(?) and actually "warm(ish)" in January. February has been a PITA with endless cold... not so much butt-crack brutal cold, but friggin' day-after-day endless. Snow fall, over-all, has been about what ya' expect.

The furnace converted somethin' over 1½ cord of firewood into ash during February, which was a big surprise after January. Heck, I'm gonna' haf'ta to bring some more in this week... I didn't figure on that 'til April. I'm gonna' try and sneak-by 'til the end of the week when temps are supposed to warm, maybe even stretch it to the weekend. But I gotta' say, the basement fuel supply is low enough to make a fella' nervous... I'm bending over to grab an armload‼

November was very cold, December very warm, January above average, February average for temps.

Snow in far northern MN slightly lower than average. South of Duluth there really isn't any snow.

Got a cord left in the general mixed species stack, Feb was nasty and switched to my all primo hardwood stack. Pretty much normal here, mix of liquid mud, frozen over an inch deep mud, regular ole mud, cold slimy mud...uhhh..mud. The white stuff was nice while it lasted. Who knows, might be some more cold snaps this month, we typically burn into April off and on.

Two days ago I dropped a load of wood at a 91 year old neighbors place. He asked me if I could remember a winter bad as this one. He has 30 years on me and I've been in central Maryland for 35 years. My reply was... not counting last winter...no.

The "cool" part is he helped unload the truck.

I was cruising just sipping wood, thought I was on pace for a good low wood consumption year, till February came in with a vengeance and took back all the saved wood and charged me taxes too. I believe it was also the coldest february on record here also. Funny how oil was so cheap all winter, then arctic blast comes through and oil is going up daily.

Latest posts

Back