Forgetting to Close it Down....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the hot blast get very hot a time or two do to windy conditions and pressures, smelled like hot metal and I was burning coal at the time. Very hard to regulate and cool back down. Basement is all concrete but the basement temp was 95+ and I'd hate to think what the ceiling joists were above the thing. ( before i had the duct work) way to worried about a house fire so just put in the tundra. Thermostat control baro and high limit switch. Feeling much more confident these days.

...we won't have anyone to keep Whitespider in check.
L-O-L ‼
And lord knows I'd run totally a-muck without that‼

The worst I ever did was load up the old (before the "stovace") box and left the door cracked open to get it goin'... with plans of gettin' in the shower while it fired. Damn... no water pressure‼ Slid my boots on and went out to the well house to see what was up. Long story short... after about an hour and a couple trips back 'n' forth to the tool box, I figured out the pressure switch had stuck. When I walked back in the house I got that strong smell of something really, really hot... CRAP‼ The words really, really hot don't even come close to describing it‼ The flue pipe had actually sagged.

Anyway, that was the last year for that box... it was a couple weeks later I noticed the crack, and replaced it with the "stovace".

L-O-L ‼
And lord knows I'd run totally a-muck without that‼

The worst I ever did was load up the old (before the "stovace") box and left the door cracked open to get it goin'... with plans of gettin' in the shower while it fired. Damn... no water pressure‼ Slid my boots on and went out to the well house to see what was up. Long story short... after about an hour and a couple trips back 'n' forth to the tool box, I figured out the pressure switch had stuck. When I walked back in the house I got that strong smell of something really, really hot... CRAP‼ The words really, really hot don't even come close to describing it‼ The flue pipe had actually sagged.

Anyway, that was the last year for that box... it was a couple weeks later I noticed the crack, and replaced it with the "stovace".
...and now, the rest of the story (comes out) :D

...and now, the rest of the story (comes out)
:laughing:
This is what that old smoke dragon furnace looked like the day I pulled it out'a the house.
I built it from some old stove parts (door, grates, front and rear panels), plate steel, sheet metal, angle iron, pieces of pipe (for legs) and a small salvaged blower (removed at the picture time).
The pictures are with the plenum sittin' on it... and it's sort'a hard to explain how the box was configured so I drew a couple pictures (I must be bored this morning... LOL).

furn1.JPG furn2.JPG Box1.JPG Box2.JPG

:laughing:
This is what that old smoke dragon furnace looked like the day I pulled it out'a the house.
I built it from some old stove parts (door, grates, front and rear panels), plate steel, sheet metal, angle iron, pieces of pipe (for legs) and a small salvaged blower (removed at the picture time).
The pictures are with the plenum sittin' on it... and it's sort'a hard to explain how the box was configured so I drew a couple pictures (I must be bored this morning... LOL).

View attachment 388449 View attachment 388451 View attachment 388452 View attachment 388453
What was the reason for replacing? Looks like a simple and effective design.

What was the reason for replacing?
The firebox warped and cracked due to the abuse it took... described in post #43 of this thread.
Then the PE Spectrum was give to me... which I modified into the "stovace"... which failed miserably.
And then came the DAKA... which has also been modified...

Chris,
Most phones have a time in them or you can download an app for them. Most of us can't breathe with out a phone next to us. Mine is set to 4 minutes. That's about how long I can focus on a topic before my ADD kicks in and off elsewhere I go !!!!
I try not to carry the darn thing with me at home!

I woke up one sunday and i was a little cold so i went down to the basement and looked inside the longwood. It was full of hot coals. I opened it up and went back upstairs and fail asleep. I came to and ran down to the stove. The pipe was red. I shut it down and said a prayer. I am gone about 12 hours every day so i have to almost restart the fire. I only put in some small sticks and leave it open and go back upstairs that way if something happen it wouldnt burn real hot or very long. I have often thought about some thing that would shut it down if it needed to be but i wouldnt put alot of fath in something like this.

Hey, I saved 'em both this time. The eggs were good, but not as good as ours - the girls aren't laying this time of year :(

Well, I just checked your profile page, and near as I can remember I'm not as old as you..... close maybe but not quite!

Yes, it was probably just my irrational fears - the stove was actually cold!
Must not have the right chickens...mom and dad are getting 15 eggs a day from 13 hens...

Over fire or cleaning the creosote?

Kind of a different take on this thread, but what about forgetting to turn it on. Came down stairs this morning to 63 degrees and a somewhat unhappy wife. I have a OWB hooked up to my hot water radiator heat system. Went down and check the pump on the furnace and it was running. Headed outside and found the temp on the OWB at 200 degrees which tells me the burner pump is not running. I alway turn off the power to the burner when I throw wood in and guess what? Yup didn't turn it back on last night. I'm thinking some of these suggestions would work good for me to remember to TURN ON the darn fan.

We got a ruling if nobodys around or every bodys a sleep no wood burning in our home we switch on the electric or gas most of the time the electric my wife doesn't like LNG.

So I'm stirring up some eggs in a iron skillet on the stove, looking forward to a eating them, when suddenly I had a thought. The thought was about 5 big well seasoned ash splits I'd thrown in the stove, on a bed of very hot coals. And an air control that was still wide open.....

I sprinted to the basement and got there before it was quite to the over-fired range, and made it back before the eggs burned. No harm no foul I guess, and it doesn't happen very often, but I still worry one of these days I'm gonna space out a little too long.......

I fed up the fire one morning leaving the vent and the ash door open, went outside do to something and forgot about the fire. When I remembered there was NOTHING in the stove, even the ashes were gone.

Harry K

I have a timer alarm next to the woodstove. If I have the damper pulled out or any other temporary setting, I set the timer for 10-15 minutes before I walk away. The simplest thing will distract me these days.

I have a timer alarm next to the woodstove. If I have the damper pulled out or any other temporary setting, I set the timer for 10-15 minutes before I walk away. The simplest thing will distract me these days.
I'm thinking I'm going to pick one up and do the same. It seems like a pretty simple safeguard.

What I did... but it won't work for stove users... was wire a timer circuit that by-passes the thermostat control, and powers the draft blower. That way if I'm startin' a fire in a stone-cold dead box I can shut the door and turn the timer knob to whatever I want (up to an hour) to get things blazin' good (works when addin' fuel to a small few coals also). Even if the timer stuck it wouldn't melt-down the furnace 'cause the by-pass circuit runs through the limit switch. It works real good... load the box, poke in a bit of dryer lint, squirt, flick the Bic, close the door, turn the timer to whatever (usually something in the 15-20 minutes range), and forget it... just walk away. And even if ya' set the timer for a bit too long... no worries... if the air jacket temperature reaches 175° the limit switch shuts down the draft blower until it cools down to 140°, and by then the timer period has likely ended anyway. As soon as the timer reaches zero, the thermostat takes over control of the draft blower.

I set the whole system up to be as no-brainer and hands-free as possible... even lightin' the fire requires near zero attention.
I couldn't screw-it-up if'n I was sloppy-azz, stumblin' drunk.

....then, after I have been distracted and have forgotten about the woodstove, I hear the timer go off. I then go in and adjust it or poke the logs. I may even reset the timer a few times until the stove has settled in.

I set the whole system up to be as no-brainer and hands-free as possible... even lightin' the fire requires near zero attention.
I couldn't screw-it-up if'n I was sloppy-azz, stumblin' drunk.
But it requires a powered, active control system, and isn't applicable to a wood stove. Ironically, while I design electronics, I like simple, passive things in real life. I'm a Luddite engineer.

I had more than my share of times being a sloppy-azz, stumblin' drunk, but those days have been over for a while now. Now a days I'm more likely to fall asleep or lose track of time reading. Or making dinner.

Back