Forgetting to Close it Down....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been thinking about this problem since Chris-Pa posted. Did some searches on flee bay and found a couple of interesting temp sensors with alarm relay outputs. One in particular I found had a K-type thermocouple with a stainless housing for the sensor element. The high side of the temperature range was 1250 deg C. The thermocouple sensor, controller and Led readout can be had for less than $25. The power input is 90-260 VAC so all you need to do is add a power cord. Would also need to add an audible alarm that can be heard when the relay closes at the set-point.....was thinking it would be easy to pull the horn out of an old smoke detector.

So, what is considered "Too Hot" for stove top and single wall chimney pipe?

That's a good question. I would think when you hit 900 deg F. you are starting to get close. Dull cherry red starts at about 1100 deg F.

Might also depend on where you proble the pipe to some extent.

I think I have clocked my chimney pipe at around 700-750 when really hot, coming 1' above stove. Stove top I think max has been 650-700. I have never been close to cherry red. I should try keep track, but not something that happens alot. I have an infrared temp gun that sits near stove. It is pretty close to actual from what I have used testing on a variety of different things. It is not a cheapo one either.

I don't believe I've never had mine anywhere near glowing. I think I'd have to run it wide open to get there.

Apologies for the thread resurrection but I find it's not worth creating a new thread if the information I'm posting aids to this one in the future.

It happened last night, was in the bedroom closet putting away work uniforms and trying to get caught up with everything after a ridiculously busy weekend. She hollered at me that the chimney was smoking and from there it was a blur, didn't stop to look but kind of seen the chimney thermometer was nearly maxed out. At the time I thought that was nearly 2000ºF but it only goes up to 1600. Shut the door to the damn stove and ran to the garage for a drill to remove the trim pieces around the cathedral box. By that time it was nearly done smoking and looking up around the box I seen no flame or smoke, so jumped out the front door and everything appeared normal there as well. I'm still dumbfounded but I'm wondering if it isn't the insulation shield inside the cathedral box around the chimney pipe. The only way to check that is to crawl up the roof and remove flashing, which isn't happening as our roof is covered in ice right now, typical time for this to happen. Here soon I'll pull apart the stove pipe to get a good look up into the chimney but half an hour after I settled down last night it was still running around 800ºF so I'm thinking I might be ok. Regardless I'll be redoing some as soon as weather permits. While I know the chimney was fairly clean beforehand, I'll bet it's spotless now. Normally when I restart a fire, I stack two smaller splits on the sides, then newspaper in the middle with the kindling perpendicular on top of the splits. That's it, get the kindling going then add more pieces. Well last night I added two larger splits on top of the kindling as well, whoops. So leaving it unattended with the door open wasn't the only rule of mine I broke.

I set the timer on my phone every time the bypass is left open, whether it is a restart, or low coals and adding wood. Warping the guts of a three thousand dollar stove leaves an impression. Still for sale if anyone wants a project. (This was not terribly over fired, but once done and the seal damaged, it deteriorated quickly because air flow could no longer be controlled.)IMG_4257.jpgIMG_4255.jpg

Apologies for the thread resurrection but I find it's not worth creating a new thread if the information I'm posting aids to this one in the future.

It happened last night, was in the bedroom closet putting away work uniforms and trying to get caught up with everything after a ridiculously busy weekend. She hollered at me that the chimney was smoking and from there it was a blur, didn't stop to look but kind of seen the chimney thermometer was nearly maxed out. At the time I thought that was nearly 2000ºF but it only goes up to 1600. Shut the door to the damn stove and ran to the garage for a drill to remove the trim pieces around the cathedral box. By that time it was nearly done smoking and looking up around the box I seen no flame or smoke, so jumped out the front door and everything appeared normal there as well. I'm still dumbfounded but I'm wondering if it isn't the insulation shield inside the cathedral box around the chimney pipe. The only way to check that is to crawl up the roof and remove flashing, which isn't happening as our roof is covered in ice right now, typical time for this to happen. Here soon I'll pull apart the stove pipe to get a good look up into the chimney but half an hour after I settled down last night it was still running around 800ºF so I'm thinking I might be ok. Regardless I'll be redoing some as soon as weather permits. While I know the chimney was fairly clean beforehand, I'll bet it's spotless now. Normally when I restart a fire, I stack two smaller splits on the sides, then newspaper in the middle with the kindling perpendicular on top of the splits. That's it, get the kindling going then add more pieces. Well last night I added two larger splits on top of the kindling as well, whoops. So leaving it unattended with the door open wasn't the only rule of mine I broke.

When a stove is "over fired" I've found that the fastest way to lower the temp. is to put a good sized piece of wood in and leave the loading door wide open.The fresh wood lowers the fire temp. and the max air flow moves the heat out of the stove.It sounds counterintuitive but it works.

I had the opposite happen, I went to bed drunk at 40 below and didn't stoke. When I woke up it was 25 below in my shack.
I thought I had gout, but all my toes were frozen as they were sticking out of the blankets. The tips of my toes turned purple and later scabed over, but I'm ok now. Lol

Back