Got my exercise for the winter lined up...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran a tank of gas through the saw first thing this morning. The logs that Miss Angela couldn't hold up...she would hold up enough for me to cut them more or less in half then she would hold up the half logs. And I figured out swinging them to one side or the other helped to reduce how many logs I had to throw out of my way as I worked.

IMG_2115.JPG

I have learned tractors are dirt, dust, and other filth magnets :D

IMG_2116.JPG

And once I was done with the logs, I went for a bike ride -- I'm down 30# since the last time I rode it (just a couple times last spring since I hurt my Achilles last April), at least 50# since the last time I rode in the area I went to today and I really was struggling that time. Hoping within a few weeks I'll be able to do hills well enough to start riding regularly around my block.

IMG_2118.JPG

Ran a bit more than a tankful through this morning. Yeah, I'm that guy who is out chainsawing at 6:30 on a Sunday morning :D

I don't want to start splitting yet (other priorities...) but my work area is starting to get clogged up.

Birch sure is a nice smelling wood to cut up!

IMG_2177.JPG

Woke up early this morning and it was clear I wasn't falling back asleep...so I went for a 1.8 mile bike ride around my block and by a little after 5:30 I was swinging the Fiskars. Nice bit of exercise before going to work!

Oh and the tires -- been using some for a few years, works great! But of course some logs are a little too big. Then I was digging through my tire pile for another project and found and 16" one..."ummmm......."

Go over to my splitting area, yup, I have a couple 14" ones. Du'oh.

Only had one 16" so there's a 16" and 15" on my splitting block now, but I'll swing by the local tire guy one Saturday and get a free 16" one out of his junk pile.

IMG_2180.JPG

Just shy of 3 tanks of gas this weekend, one on Saturday and two this morning.

Rain that wasn't supposed to get here till noon on arrived at 9:30 and since it was a warm rain and I was already sweat soaked I just kept on going in the pouring rain :D

Not much more than another tankful of gas to go:

IMG_2232.JPG

Seemed to go through a lot more gas than I expected today, warm saw on a warm day maybe? Let's call it an even ten tanks of gas. But the bucking is done. Now I have to clean up a stacking area then it's Fiskars time.

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

don't want to ruin your parade, but stacking cement blocks that way,,is the weak way. think of the way,,they are stacked for a basement..
Lol I think they are more than sufficient for the firewood load. Pft
Besides, they promote air flow like that.

Lol I think they are more than sufficient for the firewood load. Pft
Besides, they promote air flow like that.
no pfffft about it. how much,,does the left front corner,,of a 67 fairlane weigh???? guy died some years back,,by using a cement block under the car,,instead of a jackstand,,the WRONG way,,and no, I never used them,,but that's beside the point....also depends somewhat,,on how high,,and what wood hes stacking on them......

no pfffft about it. how much,,does the left front corner,,of a 67 fairlane weigh???? guy died some years back,,by using a cement block under the car,,instead of a jackstand,,the WRONG way,,and no, I never used them,,but that's beside the point....also depends somewhat,,on how high,,and what wood hes stacking on them......
Do the math an you'll find out the load of the wood doesn't even come close to 1/4 the weight of the fairlane, regardless of species and moisture. Combine that with contact size of the load and it's worlds apart.

Oiiiy there Dalmatian90 you seem to go through that stack way faster and with far more entusiasm than the first one. Good on you with the improvement in personal mass. Nice pictures of progress and equipment upgrades. Also nice to follow an ongoing project with updates as you go along. Also the quotes: "I think i'll be done with the splitting by this june (or what ever it really was)", relates perfectly with my own perceptions of time perspective on ongoing (firewood) projects. Please update the tread continiously. I love these ongoing thread project updates.

Motorsen

Worked up a nice sweat this evening....have a week off coming up this Thursday through Wednesday (didn't want to take two full weeks off but got some sisters in town for my Mom's 80th this weekend)...hoping to really put some damage on the pile between now and the August 7th.

If the blocks work out like I hope (and don't freeze to the concrete), I'm hoping to be able to work back three rows wide at a time like a silage pile, and stack the blocks to the side as I go. Stacking is a lot easier than last time I tried working on pallets. Each row will be 20' long, so three rows will give me 2-1/2 cords.

The slightly taller of the two cross-stacks is 48" high according to the tape measure
IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

Both a friend and one of my sisters gave me some of those "cool dri" shirts this spring, which impressed me -- times I know a cotton shirt would've been soaked they are nice and dry and I do seem to feel cooler in them.

Until you go out on a 90 degree day that's now cooled off to 80 degree evening with high humidity and go to town with the Fiskars...I could've wrung out the "dri" shirt like a sponge :D

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

My back was bothering me yesterday, and while I did do one load this morning it's time to rest it...and catch up on posting photos!
July 30th -- Load #4
IMG_2564.JPG

July 30th -- Load #5...rained in the afternoon!
IMG_2568.JPG

July 31st -- Load #6
IMG_2569.JPG

August 2nd -- Load #7
IMG_2625.JPG

August 28th -- Load #8
IMG_2806.JPG

Back