help with stihl 028 wb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springspur

Reaction score
picked up a stihl 028 wb chainsaw at a yard sale for $ 20, took it to the dealer and he said that the ignition module was bad and he said that the part was no longer available and I was out of luck. I don't know much about chainsaws so should I buy an aftermarket module and try to fix it or junk it?
if I get it fixed what other maintenance things should I look at?
is there a gearbox to lube?
what spark plug should I use?
any help would be appreciated

first off

I would check compression and make sure it has enough to run. You can either check with a guage from the local parts store (buy one) or borrow one... or you can check for scoring on the piston and cylinder by removing the muffler. If the cylinder is ok you can probably make it work easy enough. You want to see 130-135psi minimum.

$10 carb kit is usually needed (or good cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner)
$10-$20 in fuel lines if they are Stihl only, if not tygon will work
new air filter maybe if it has the old "flocked" filter. (you know the filter doesn't work when dirt is in the intake neck or the flocking is leaving bare metal wire on the filter.

no gear box to oil... LOL. Just make sure to use 2cycle mix in the gas and put bar oil in; and don't mix up which goes where. I've seen it done...

Also pics or it didn't happen!

Last edited:
what Nate said. Add to that check the spark. When the coil/module goes out on that saw you can usualy start it and run it it just will die out with heat. After a few minuits of running it will start to cut out then die all together. If it has no spark or dies out with heat look up ATOM modules in search. They do work great on that saw as you can't set the points without a window flywheel. If I remember correctly. I used a Stens module to fix one. You can also use a 029 coil or aftermarket coil.

Last edited:
Go back to your dealer and tell him the 0000 400 1300 ignition module is absolutely still available and will work on your saw. Should run you roughly 100 bucks for the part...if that is in fact what's wrong with it.

dont mean to sould like one of the usual buzzards circling but gif it happens that you cant fix it or its going to be more than you want to sink in it let me know.i'm starting my 028 collection and could use another one.already got 4 028's an 024 and an ms260.i'll buy it straight out or might possibly have a good runner to trade.right now working on an 017 to do some trading on.should really rip when i get done with it.

Back