Husqvarna 266 SE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry pioneer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Picked up an old 266 sent seams to have good comp. Got it to start and run sparkplug wire is almost severd need to fix that.I'm going to go thru this saw every thing seem original. I'm wondering what should I look out for and what should I modify to make it run stronger? Thanks...Perry.

Picked up an old 266 sent seams to have good comp. Got it to start and run sparkplug wire is almost severd need to fix that.I'm going to go thru this saw every thing seem original. I'm wondering what should I look out for and what should I modify to make it run stronger? Thanks...Perry.
I got one and love it. Easiest starting saw ive ever owned. Running a 24 inch bar in softwoods it keeps rite up with my 2013 372xt, mods? Im not an expert but i believe a 272 top end will bolt rite on. Its tough to beat an old 200 series husky for being a great easy to work on saw.

My old 181, i just took out the screen and bent the flap back a bit. Sometime during the last 30 years it modded it's baffle by itself, i had it off the other day and looking in with a flashlight i could see a piece of the baffle had broken out, leaving a bigger, somewhat jagged hole. I never noticed any pieces come out, and have had the saw since new, oh well! I've never done a base gasket delete, but mine runs so good i don't feel a need to mess with it, so can't advise on that point

As in wider, what about base gasket delete ?

You always need to check your squish clearance first, before pulling the cylinder off, allow .020 between the piston crown and the cylinder head on that saw. If the squish is a lot more than .020, say .030 - .035 then you might be good to take the gasket out.

When was the saw made (serial number?) - or more important, what carb model is on it?

The late 266SE saws (and the 266xp) made a little more power than the earlier ones, because of larger carbs (at least it "looks" that way, from the availiable info).

according Husky IPL, they changed carburetor from Tillitson HS 163A to HS 224A around june month 1985.

Yes, and basically from HS-163 (15.9 mm venturi) to HS-224 (17.5 mm). Some times they used Walbro carbs of corresponding size in place of the Tillotsons.

However, the IPL dates doesn't always correspond exactly with when a change was made on production saws, and the carb could of course have been changed later. ;)

Latest posts

Back