Husqvarna 266 SE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed on the impractical nature of the stack. But when you have multiples of a saw or in a class of saw, not all of 'em gotta be totally serious & practical. I just like it because when I was young & impressionable, some of the woodcutters around ran setups like that, and I thought they were cool at the time. Still kinda do, but definitely not on a day to day saw. Just me being me.

Perry, the metal handle type brake bands for the 266 are really rare now, I searched the globe for them 4-5 years back and found a few plus one complete NOS clutch cover/metal brake handle set in New Zealand. Got the last new brake bands from BC but havn`t seen or found any more these years since. The clutch covers with the plastic flag handles are a direct replacement for the 266 saws.

I have seen plenty of bent and twisted metal brake handles on the 2XX series Husqvarna`s but only seen one broken plastic handle so far, the plastic will flex a good bit and spring back into shape when bumped. The cheesy look is soon forgotten and brake bands are still available for them. I had a quite nice 266 that cut really well but it didn`t get along with my Stihl collection so it resides with another friend of mine, he has not even started it since getting it from me a year or more ago.

fRMgvtJNoxaZeTkP5Lb86FgGOLDUoLfSf-8_1kIXyQ=w631-h473
Jy6Eg3V3c5KjRRf0rTbgnuB_XTOs6cOftnLqMVgpqg=w631-h473

That saws a beauty and the plastic looks good. The one's on evil bay look cheesy some have plastic clutch covers, I just like the vintage look of the metal.

That saw has never spent a full day outside in its life and only had a half a tank of mix through it, the chain has never been sharpened. I cut with it for less than 20 mins once and decided it didn`t fit my physical features like a Stihl does so it became a shelf Queen for the rest of its time here, that is what it is for my friend as well.

That saws a beauty and the plastic looks good. The one's on evil bay look cheesy some have plastic clutch covers, I just like the vintage look of the metal.

The plastic covers actually looks like they have been "shined up" in some way, as it looks like there are some wear under the shiny surface, in some of the pictures?

I have never heard of plastic clutch covers on those saws, could those have been aftermarket?

The plasic covers actually looks like they hace been "shined up" in some way, as it looks like there are some wear under the shiny surfoca, in some of the pictures?

I have never heard of plastic clutch covers on those saws, could those have been aftermarket?

The clutch cover is still metal but the brake flag handle is some sort of plastic/ nylon material, it can withstand a pretty hard knock. That old Husky has never been shined up by me but there is smears of bar oil on it as some of the saws sitting on shelves above it have leaked oil like most of the saws I own all do. I may have swiped a cloth over it before taking pict but its never had a bath or been waxed/shined since I owned it.

IMG_20150601_151036099.jpg Well I found a metal flag on eBay for 21$. So I drove to mentone to an old saw shop usually they are quite rude unless you are buying a new saw, but today they were nice there was an old 61 on the table and I said that brake set up is what I need he says I'll go out back and see what I got, usually they don't have time, he came back with a 266 we 1984 carcass 25$ sold with a complete brake assy yeah...IMG_20150601_151036099.jpg

The clutch cover is still metal but the brake flag handle is some sort of plastic/ nylon material, it can withstand a pretty hard knock. That old Husky has never been shined up by me but there is smears of bar oil on it as some of the saws sitting on shelves above it have leaked oil like most of the saws I own all do. I may have swiped a cloth over it before taking pict but its never had a bath or been waxed/shined since I owned it.

It was Perry Pioneer's 266 I was talking about the finish of, not yours.

Of course I know of the different brake handles, what I was commenting on in the last part of my post was the clutch covers themselves - not the brake handles.

I would take the plastic brake handles over the metal ones any day - for anything else than a pure collectors piece (but I am not a collector).

Latest posts

Back