Husqvarna 353 etech problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truediablo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a 353 e-tech, stock.
I've had it a couple years now, no problems until today.
I was using it the other day cutting some railroad ties (just a couple cuts), no problem, until the very end of the last cut, when I let off the throttle it just died. I didn't think much of it but did notice.
Today I went to cut another tie, started up fine, but soon as I gave it gas it died. I could restart it fine, but the idle isn't smooth and if I give it gas it won't rev up, and eventually it would backfire and die.
I checked the plug (put in a new one I had), cleaned the air filter out some, drained the fuel and put in fresh, checked the coil gap, cleaned the muffler screen- nothing better about it.
It will sit and idle, but not smoothly, and I can give it full throttle and nothing much happens and eventually it will die.

I did search and couldn't find anything definitive, someone mentioned possibly a bad coil or sheared key on the flywheel.

Does anyone have any advice on this, either recommendation on diagnostics I haven't tried, or similar problems with a solution that worked?

Hope someone's got something.
Thanks.

Tank vent try revving with gas cap lessened a bit, impulse line craked or kinked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I tried that (venting the tank), also took it all apart today, checked the impulse line, cleaned the carb, etc, no change.
I think I'll get a cheap coil and see if that does it, did a 'spark plug test' today and it looked pretty weak, this saw has also gotten pretty hot with the OE cat muffler, might have effected thw coil.
I know most people don't have much good to say about aftermarket coils, but are they all bad? Does anyone know who the OEM manufacturer is?

Thanks

Did you look at the cylinder for scoring

I did not, guess I should pop off the muffler and check before ordering a coil
I did have a saw get straight gasses before and it didn't act like this, but good to check.

Those etechs can run hot , if it did it's a great time to put a 346 top end on it with a non etech or decatted muffler

Thinking about trying this,
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AGINYPD9X8MQG

The bad reviews don't scare me, but any opinions on it otherwise? OEM is super expensive, and I don't want to wait a month on a super cheapo Chinese eBay one just to see if it works, I figure the one linked above should do at least for testing if that's the problem, and if it does work just use it until it dies then maybe get an OEM one.

Just a though , is the plug wire covering worn anywhere that would, short it at high rpm , try running with the cover off tonight and misting water of it and see if you get any blue sparks jumping off the plug wire.

Oh and did you check coil to flywheel clearance , I set it to a business card width

No, I made sure it wasn't touching anything when running, I'm feeling strongly about a coil fault.
Thanks for the help.

Yeah jus saw you checked the coil gap good luck

That would be cool, but I can't find any info to support that anywhere, plus I have no receipt or warranty registered for it.
Any idea how to potentially collect on that?

Thanks

Yeah, I tried that (venting the tank), also took it all apart today, checked the impulse line, cleaned the carb, etc, no change.
I think I'll get a cheap coil and see if that does it, did a 'spark plug test' today and it looked pretty weak, this saw has also gotten pretty hot with the OE cat muffler, might have effected thw coil.
I know most people don't have much good to say about aftermarket coils, but are they all bad? Does anyone know who the OEM manufacturer is?

Thanks

By all means, get rid of that cat muffler!

Latest posts

Back