I've Been Screwed!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a read!
It's like Dear Abbey for chainsaw users! It is really nice to know that the AS support network kicks in when there is a real need, hope you end up with a rockin' saw at the end of it all especially with those Aussie attitude parts!

When its all done, take some pics of it cutting, sell it for a bomb and send the jerk a picture of how much $$$ You made off of HIM!:heart:

DDM said:
I wunder what its going to cost to send the saw up from down under?

I'm sure it will pale in comparison to buying a new crank and bearings!

Ekka's the man! This rounds on me.............. :cheers:

Bermie said:
What a read!
It's like Dear Abbey for chainsaw users! It is really nice to know that the AS support network kicks in when there is a real need, hope you end up with a rockin' saw at the end of it all especially with those Aussie attitude parts!

When its all done, take some pics of it cutting, sell it for a bomb and send the jerk a picture of how much $$$ You made off of HIM!:heart:
Like it or not, the result of this will have to be videod. That's the least I can do pay back you guys. Too bad I don't have a video of it clanking and banging as I tried to start it before I took it apart. It actually fired a couple times but never started. Good thing it didn't. I might have had case piecs in my skull!:ices_rofl:

Timbercutter said:
I buy and sell alot on ebay and first and foremost ck their feedback!!!! If their not at least in the high 99% I want bid..I have a 100% feedback and its not hard to keep it that way.Its just that simple..If they have low feedback there is always a reason..This guy new the saw was trashed and should own up to it and make it right but he want and will get away with it hurting the few honest sellers there are..
It is easy to keep 100% positive feedback if you never give bad feedback. I have sold alot of saws and saw parts on ebay and what negative feedback I have gotten was from non paying bidders who never followed through and send payment for the item. When I left neg feedback for a non paying bidder, I usualy get it in retaliation. The only time I truly deserved neg feedback was when I sold something I knew nothing about. I gave him a full refund, but still got a neg feedback from him. I learned my lesson. Most people will try and make things right including me, but this guy that sold the 044 must be a true hole!
I did get a neg once for selling a guy an 041 that I listed as having a 20" bar , but it had an 18" bar. I would have been more than happy to send him a 20" bar and let him keep the 18" bar if he would have gave me the opportunity to do so, but he didn't, so I didn't.

Last edited:
not to siderail this thread at all, but what is it, chemically, that causes palm sawdust to be so corrosive?? In my area I've certainly never seen one cut, as I'm in just about in the mountains...It looks like what would happen if you ran your saw on a log soaked in seawater!!!!

Gee, that saw looks like it had been run beyond the bearing nose. Lot of burnt residue there. Not sure if that's normal for a two-stroke.

Ps.

I was commenting on BL's saw from Ebay. Ekka has some real nice stuff. To bad the Stihl cases aren't treated with aircraft primer.

Last edited:
Ekka,,,, One awesome dude

Really upstanding, I must say. It is a privilege to be associated with a bunch of fine People. Hey Ekka do some varieties of those palms have teeth along the edge where they attach to the trunk is that what makes them so destructive on the saw Parts????

Ekka said:
Here we go, this ones a little ripper, just clean as a whistle.

Very good thing you did. I will chime in with the rest of the posters, I am tickled to be a part of this crowd. Everyone make sure that you give EKKA his due reputation points.:bowdown:

OK, so ya'll wanna know why the stupid palms corrode the living **** out of saws.

Wait till ole mate sees it first hand, he'll freak!

Palms hold a lot of water, unlike trees the entire thickness is working wood, no deadwood or heartwood, all vascular bundles. (So I suppose you cant ringbark a palm)

When you cut palms the saw dust is like wet lawn clippings. Sticks like mud to a wall. Unlike proper sawdust it behaves like playdough, moulding itself to every nook and cranny, hole, divet and gap. It forces it's way into the brake band recess, the chain brake covers are no guard either and it gets in there too.

Then a transition occurs, a very quick one. The wet sticky crap changes it's PH and starts going acidic.

You can buy palm sugar, and palm vinegar. Whilst I'm not a oenologist and understand the entire process I do know that the sap becomes acidic. In fact some research has found that the PH goes from 6.5 down as low as 3.2 over 48 hours.

Now the acidity seems to react with the saw casing. My hunch is it reacts more so to the magnesium than the aluminium.

The reason I think that is because a lower quality cheaper saw (Echo 350T) actually stood up to the corrosion much better than Stihl or Husky. I think the Echo has less magnesium, there's a distinct difference. On the 350T the oil pump was fully exposed to palm juice for 18months and was hardly pitted. Meanwhile with the Stihl 44's the oil pump is somewhat hidden but would heavily corrode. In fact changing oil pumps is a regular thing. I have always a brand newy in the toolbox.

On the 200T the oil pump is hidden a bit but the ass end of it gets corroded away, I used to change them but found they actually keep working ... sort of like looking at the terminator with that wierdo eye you see the guts of it! But it still works pumping oil ... eventually it leaks and you get sick of puddles.

Steel parts just get rusty, clutch springs get rusty and break often.

Palms suck! You may think some are better than others but when it comes to corrosion there's no difference. They'll root ya chipper blades in no time too and you better clean out and oil ya chipper after a decent session.

Many varieties are just evil little chits on sticks that need culling, LA has smelled the roses and is gonna start mass culling.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=39999

And to settle the tree huggers down replacement planting with better things is the go. Over here palms were simply overplanted and in the worst spots ... my record was 76 queen palms cut down and stump ground in 1 house and took us a week. You just wouldn't plant 76 full blown trees would you? There are many varieties and some are nice and some stay small but so many bad ones are sold it's not funny, the queen palm is banned here now.

Hope that helps. And I allocate special saws to palm duties and the 46 and 66 never ever cut palms! And I've had them for years.

Dont know how???

:monkey:
AJLOGGER said:
Very good thing you did. I will chime in with the rest of the posters, I am tickled to be a part of this crowd. Everyone make sure that you give EKKA his due reputation points.:bowdown:

How do you apply rep points never done it before but I will if someone can guide me through it.

RiverRat2 said:
:monkey:

How do you apply rep points never done it before but I will if someone can guide me through it.

Just click on the white scales below the membe'rs name. That will take you to another screen where you show your approval and cool comment.

blsnelling said:

I'm going to refuse the $100. That would leave me still eating $130. The cost to replace the crank, cylinder, piston, and gaskets off eBay would be $230. There's no way I'm going to accept $100. He knows he's done wrong and don't have a leg to stand on, or he would even be making me an offer.

Good for you,
You are already out the money. Let it ride and see what happens.
I'm checking out his web site.

Ekka said:
OK, so ya'll wanna know why the stupid palms corrode the living **** out of saws.

Wait till ole mate sees it first hand, he'll freak!

Palms hold a lot of water, unlike trees the entire thickness is working wood, no deadwood or heartwood, all vascular bundles. (So I suppose you cant ringbark a palm)

When you cut palms the saw dust is like wet lawn clippings. Sticks like mud to a wall. Unlike proper sawdust it behaves like playdough, moulding itself to every nook and cranny, hole, divet and gap. It forces it's way into the brake band recess, the chain brake covers are no guard either and it gets in there too.

Then a transition occurs, a very quick one. The wet sticky crap changes it's PH and starts going acidic.

You can buy palm sugar, and palm vinegar. Whilst I'm not a oenologist and understand the entire process I do know that the sap becomes acidic. In fact some research has found that the PH goes from 6.5 down as low as 3.2 over 48 hours.

Now the acidity seems to react with the saw casing. My hunch is it reacts more so to the magnesium than the aluminium.

The reason I think that is because a lower quality cheaper saw (Echo 350T) actually stood up to the corrosion much better than Stihl or Husky. I think the Echo has less magnesium, there's a distinct difference. On the 350T the oil pump was fully exposed to palm juice for 18months and was hardly pitted. Meanwhile with the Stihl 44's the oil pump is somewhat hidden but would heavily corrode. In fact changing oil pumps is a regular thing. I have always a brand newy in the toolbox.

On the 200T the oil pump is hidden a bit but the ass end of it gets corroded away, I used to change them but found they actually keep working ... sort of like looking at the terminator with that wierdo eye you see the guts of it! But it still works pumping oil ... eventually it leaks and you get sick of puddles.

Steel parts just get rusty, clutch springs get rusty and break often.

Palms suck! You may think some are better than others but when it comes to corrosion there's no difference. They'll root ya chipper blades in no time too and you better clean out and oil ya chipper after a decent session.

Many varieties are just evil little chits on sticks that need culling, LA has smelled the roses and is gonna start mass culling.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=39999

And to settle the tree huggers down replacement planting with better things is the go. Over here palms were simply overplanted and in the worst spots ... my record was 76 queen palms cut down and stump ground in 1 house and took us a week. You just wouldn't plant 76 full blown trees would you? There are many varieties and some are nice and some stay small but so many bad ones are sold it's not funny, the queen palm is banned here now.

Hope that helps. And I allocate special saws to palm duties and the 46 and 66 never ever cut palms! And I've had them for years.

Incredibel story. Nasty stuff those palms you have.
Now this may sound a tad simplistic but wouldn't it be possible to steam clean or pressure clean the saw at the end of the day?

Back