I've Been Screwed!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the best cylinder from Ekka.
117230725-M.jpg

117230727-M.jpg

Here's the other. It's in good shape, but not as nice as the other.
117230714-M.jpg

117230718-M.jpg

117230721-M.jpg

Here's what the dishwasher's good for. This is a MS 260 I'm working on. I did very little other than run it through the washer twice. Of course, as soon as it's done washing, I rinsed it very thoroughly and then blew it dry and oiled the bearings. The seals were removed before the washing so that they would not catch debris. This saw was FILTHY. I washed the tanks and everything. Everything is blow dried and will set open for at least a couple days. Water will not be a concern.
117230387-S.jpg

Yes, that's my kitchen counter:ices_rofl:
117230389-S.jpg

This is how it started and you can't see the worst of it in this pic.
117203664-M.jpg

There you go, pretty good.

Computerusers stuff shouldn't be too far behind either.

Hmmm, I think I might have something else to sacrifice to the saw builders bench in the garage ... I'll have a look.

You guys obviously like this stuff but out here parts are a killer and the market small ... like getting rid of second hand bits is near impossible.

I almost took a picture of the washer afterwards. There was no grease when I got done. There was a little dirt right below the bottom of the door. It simply wiped off with a set rag and left no grease. You cannot tell I used it at all. What you saw was not the only load I did. I had parts from three saws in there. I did not pre clean them other than some compressed air. They were very greasy and dirty when they went in the washer. That washer detergent, along with lots of heat, is a powerful cleaner. It sure makes my job a lot easier. Cleaning a nasty old saw can be a lot of work. Not any more:clap:

I've used the dishwasher to clean up old gun stocks, but I never thought of using it for chainsaws/greasy parts. Good idea. :cheers:

Buckeye said:
I've used the dishwasher to clean up old gun stocks, but I never thought of using it for chainsaws/greasy parts. Good idea. :cheers:

Well, I wouldn't put wooden gun stocks in the dishwasher :cry: (the Witch told me, but actually, I already new), but saw parts is perfectly OK, unless it is an unplugged motor.......

Ekka said:
There you go, pretty good.

Computerusers stuff shouldn't be too far behind either.

Hmmm, I think I might have something else to sacrifice to the saw builders bench in the garage ... I'll have a look.

You guys obviously like this stuff but out here parts are a killer and the market small ... like getting rid of second hand bits is near impossible.

Hey Ekka, I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but,,,, have you ever thought about stripping your saws down when they are brand new,,, and spraying the cases with acrylicpolymer before they ever see a palm??????

Hey dont that make your dishes smell and taste likr premix???????

BTW I have a 440 project too!!!!!!! LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
I've done several dozen Garand stocks, and I haven't hurt one yet. They come out stripped clean and most of the dents are raised. All they need is a few days drying (I don't use the DW dryer), then a light wipedown with 000 steel wool and they are ready for finish.

RiverRat,

I was thinking somewhat on the same path. I was thinking they could be sprayed down with teflon paint or maybe a combination of Chromium primer and Teflon. The big problem is getting a scratch. Every time they are used they should be inspected for scratches and the spot treated. Lots of labor there.

OK all you pyromaniacs. Here's what Magnesium looks like burning. This is one of the case halves from Ekka's corroded 440s.

117632910-S.jpg

117632914-S.jpg

117632916-S.jpg

117632921-S.jpg

117632924-S.jpg

After it burns a short while, a clump of burnt mag is formed and begins smothering the fire.
117632927-S.jpg

Here the fire has gone out and the mag begins to cool.
117632932-S.jpg

I've knocked the clump off in this pic.
117632937-S.jpg

disandat said:
RiverRat,

I was thinking somewhat on the same path. I was thinking they could be sprayed down with teflon paint or maybe a combination of Chromium primer and Teflon. The big problem is getting a scratch. Every time they are used they should be inspected for scratches and the spot treated. Lots of labor there.
Actually if the paint was like and Ameron industrial grade epoxy, the baked and sealed with polymer and he got a couple of extra years out of a saw it would seem like it would be worth it,,,,

But on the flip side, iEkka may look @ is as being an accepted cost for doing business,,,,and besides look at all the nice parts we get for shipping :givebeer:

RiverRat2 said:
But on the flip side, iEkka may look @ is as being an accepted cost for doing business,,,,and besides look at all the nice parts we get for shipping :givebeer:

Touche'

Who doesn't like buying and having new saws?

I didn't think there'd be enough magnesium to actually burn like that .... chuck one in the camp fire next camping trip.:D

Ekka said:
I didn't think there'd be enough magnesium to actually burn like that .... chuck one in the camp fire next camping trip.:D

Isn't the case made of magnesium alloy? I always thought it would take more than a torch to get magnesium burning, and that it would burn until it was gone.

Latest posts

Back