I've Been Screwed!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wiped the tank/handle off with bleach. That may have helped a little. I definately won't paint it. In time it would end up looking worse and you wouldn't be able to see the fuel level.

I bought this saw with the intent of fixing it up and reselling it. I thought I'd have to clean it up, replace the starter cord and coil and move it on. After everything I've been through with it now, the thing looks and runs so good I hate to sell it. There's also the pride thing of taking something totally worn out and bringing it back from the dead. The end result is actually a part of you and your personality, an extension of yourself. I almost feel guilty selling it after all the support I've gotten from you guys. I really have no need for it though. My Dad has the 046 which I may sell and give him the 460 I just bought. His cutting days are limited and I'll probably end up with it anyway. I need my normal saw to be lighter too. That's why I've bought the 361 and am going to get it woods ported. I'd love to keep all of them, but that wouldn't be the responsible thing to do. I simply don't need them all. I'm sure there will be more. I really enjoy working on them and will probably buy more to fix up and then sell. I almost like to tinker with stuff more than actually using it. I just enjoy this kind of thing.

Lakeside53 said:
Spoken like a TRUE addict!!!! :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:
Yeah, I'm afraid so. I haven't burned firewood in over 2 years now. And here I've sold my perfect 039 and currently have everything you see in my sig. I guess the cure for this is....if you've got a parts saw you want to sell, send me a PM:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

And people can't understand why I don't use Paypal........
After following this rebuild saga, it makes me want to find a well-used MS361 and give it the same treatment. :popcorn:

Great job on the saw. I'm envious. I have been using ebay and paypal for four years and have had no problem. Takes one bad apple. As for cleaning your plastic handle. We once had some stuff at work that was called "Vandalism spray", man that stuff would clean off paint and even felt pen off of plastic. It smelled real potent and had a lot of warning signs on the label. Probably work on the saw handle, but we no longer use it. HHHMMM wonder why!!!
Bob

You have done a very nice job on that saw! I hope the feeling of pride takes over any bad feelings. If this had not happened you would likely not gotten this chance to showoff your talent.

Indiana John said:
After following this rebuild saga, it makes me want to find a well-used MS361 and give it the same treatment. :popcorn:
PayPal was not the source of trouble in this transaction. I'm virtually positive that they will rule in favor of the buyer.

I understand that the problem here isn't the fault of Paypal, and I certainly hope he gets satisfaction. My comment was in reference to Paypal's business practices, which I tend to find questionable at times. I know I'm not the only person who's had a bad experience (or in my case two) with them.

Very nice job blsnelling :bowdown:

I hope my 920 project comes out half as nice as that :laugh:

Amazing work and a guy couldn't ask for better support than here. It has truely been a pleasure reading this thread.

Hopefully all turns out for the best on the other end of things and you can have a fantastic ending to a P*#% poor start.

Remember - all the factory warning and other labels are available free from your Stihl Dealer - if he balks, PM me... Sure does dress a saw up when you have new labels..

Well here's my current problem with paypal.... When i sold my 359, for some reason the money i got for the saw was put into my old paypal account that i don't have access to anymore. I originally thought the guy was buffalo billin me about the money until i talked to someone at paypal and they said the money was in my old account. So i finally shipped out the saw and the guy that bought the saw was very un happy with me, but it was my first time selling and honestly what would you think if you didn't see the money in your account yet the guys says he sent it to you? I went with my gut feeling. I couldn't apolligised enough to him. So here it is 30 days later and i still don't have my money and i talked to paypal 2 weeks ago. I still have yet to get a responce from paypal. They put in a request to transfer the money and i gave them all of my personal info. I am never using paypal again, for nothing at all. Im gonna call paypal again next week to see what the problem is. Its my fualt, but why would they put money into an old account that hasn't been used in a year??

ktoom said:
Well here's my current problem with paypal.... When i sold my 359, for some reason the money i got for the saw was put into my old paypal account that i don't have access to anymore. I originally thought the guy was buffalo billin me about the money until i talked to someone at paypal and they said the money was in my old account. So i finally shipped out the saw and the guy that bought the saw was very un happy with me, but it was my first time selling and honestly what would you think if you didn't see the money in your account yet the guys says he sent it to you? I went with my gut feeling. I couldn't apolligised enough to him. So here it is 30 days later and i still don't have my money and i talked to paypal 2 weeks ago. I still have yet to get a responce from paypal. They put in a request to transfer the money and i gave them all of my personal info. I am never using paypal again, for nothing at all. Im gonna call paypal again next week to see what the problem is. Its my fualt, but why would they put money into an old account that hasn't been used in a year??

Why did you have 2 accounts?

Indiana John said:

I don't use paypal because my wife's account got hacked once. We closed both our accounts and just deal in MOs now. It's not an everyday occurance anyway so it's not that much of an inconvenience.

Ian

I feel your pain! I've still got money in my old Paypal account that I can't get to. What happened with me was that they screwed up my password. And not just once but twice! The first time it happened, I was able to reset my password from their site, and I chalked it up to bad luck. The second time it happened I was not so blase' about it. Especially after I found that they wouldn't let me reset my password again without calling a phone #. Unfortunately that # was constantly busy no matter when I tried to call! And I tried several times over at least a week. And no, you didn't get the option to leave a message or wait on hold. Just: "All are operators are busy. Please try again later. Click!". I decided that if that was their idea of customer service, they didn't need me as a customer. :censored:
Nowadays I just use Postal money orders. They can easily be tracked, and if you pay and don't get your item, it's Postal fraud which is a felony.

Buckeye said:
PayPal was not the source of trouble in this transaction. I'm virtually positive that they will rule in favor of the buyer.
That is correct. The saw was misrepresented in the eBay auction. I paid via PayPal. In this case, I think PayPal will be my saviour. I've been on the wrong end of PayPals decisions before and fully expect them to find in my favor. I once sold a $300 dollar item and shipped it. The buyer said he never got it. I didn't have a tracking#, therefore no proof of shipment. They took the money away from me. A tough lesson to say the least. The other time, I sold >$300 of computer memory and shipped it to.....the Philipines. Yeah I know. The guy paid with a hacked PayPal account. Because I didn't ship to a confirmed address, the money was taken away from me again. I still use PayPal but will only ship to a confirmed US address with a signature required for delivery. You just have to play by their rules.

ktoom said:

How did the buyer get the address for your old account? Why have two accounts?

PayPal doesn't arbitrarily decide which account the money goes into, it goes to the account that the buyer specifies.

IJ - Good luck getting any help from the USPS. Unless the amount is over $1000, the postal inspectors will take your report and do little more.

Bottom line - No system is perfect (and I abhor some pf PayPal's policies), but I don't know of a better service that is widely accepted.

Saw looks like new man, good job!

As for cleaning parts in the dishwasher...

Think about what we have all been told to do after honing or boring an engine..
"Clean completely with warm water and soap, no sustitutes"

I bet I could put my small engines in our dishwasher...

I hate the scrubbing and crap with hot water and stuff after a rebuild..This would make life alot easier!

I usually rebuild 4-5 engines a year.

This year Ive rebuilt:
8hp Briggs
5hp Briggs
10hp Kohler..

But next year Ive got 1, maybe 2 Honda G200 engines, a 8hp Kohler, and lord only knows what else.

Anybody know if the heat off the burner would damage a small engine..?
Aluminum block, aluminum bore, and Steel bore.

I have 2 accounts cuz i couldn't access my old one. Every time i typed in the correct password, they said it wasn't. So i got frustrated and did feel like waiting on the phone to get it fixed. I figured i would just use my other email address (one at yahoo.com and one at road runner.) Now here's where they get you, paypal uses your email address to login into your account. Well guess what email address i was using for ebay???? the yahoo one and it just so happens to be the address of the paypal account i had trouble accessing. When i talked to paypal....FINALLY.. they said the money was in there.

Back