I've Been Screwed!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a little update on the 440 rebuild. I bolted the two case halves together and taped all the holes and critical surfaces up. I then sandblasted the entire case. I disassembled the case halves again and thoroughly washed and used compressed air to dry. I then heated both case halves to 300F for 20 minutes (yes, in the wifes oven:clap: ) and installed the bearings from one of Ekka's saws, along with the crank which was still in the flywheel side bearing. The bearings dropped right in on both sides, even with the steel insert on the clutch side. I'm now waiting on my gasket kit from CheapStihlParts. Shipping was a little delayed due to the severe weather they had out west. Once I have a case gasket, I'll be able to bolt the cases together and paint the case. I'll be painting it with Stihl gray paint and baking in the oven to cure.

117874425-S.jpg

117874430-S.jpg

117874434-S.jpg

117874442-S.jpg

117874457-S.jpg

117874422-S.jpg

Finally!!!

Here she is! I fired her up about 4 AM. Runs like a champ. Many thanks go out to Ekka for making this possible. The crank, bearings, cylinder, and piston he sent me were in excellent condition. I did put new rings on the piston. I also rebuilt the carb and opened up the muffler. I still don't have a resolution from PayPal, but that takes several weeks for them to investigate.

118420405-M.jpg

118420408-M.jpg

118420415-M.jpg

118420418-M.jpg

118420441-M.jpg

118420435-M.jpg

118420436-M.jpg

Absolutely fantastic :rock:

You do a very good thorough job and I hope the saw serves you well for many years.

Amazing to get all those parts including the cover from Computeruser and have that running by Christmas, a champion all round effort from many including the mail man.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

So what happens now when the resolution is to return the saw and he returns your money.... :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

twoodward15 said:
Holy crap, it looks like a new saw!
I've put enough time into it. The paint really looks nice, and should stick good since I sand-blasted it first. I had it in the over for several hours too.

I only let it idle last night long enought to get the cylinder hot, so the ring is not broke in at all. I went out this morning, put it on choke, and it popped on the first pull. I think it took two more pull and it was running. Can't beat that! I'll put it through a couple more heat cycles before it sees many RPMs. I think that's only critical on a new piston, but it can't hurt. That's how I used to break in a new Banshee engine, by gradually getting it hotter and hotter. This thing actually jumps in my hand at a slow idle. I think this things going to have a ton of torque.

This has been a great thread!:)
A problem brought to the forum, offers of help, suggestions, positive material support, hard, work put in, no whinging, whining or moaning...and at the end a super positive outcome!!
Congratulations everyone, it's why I hang around here:clap:
Merry Christmas everyone and I wish a few saws under the tree!:chainsaw:

Boy howdy!!! What I nice saw!!! This has got to be the best forum even for newbe saw owners like me. Hoping things work out for you with Ebay.

Hats Off To you Snelling!

Very Nice Job on the rebuild! I liked your positive attitude thru the whole ordeal! Great to have such support! There are still a few good Men!
Have a great holiday all!
Peace on earth to all Men and Ladies!

Here, Here!!

Nice job on that 440!:cheers: :cheers: Glad to see the fruits of your labor, man, can't believe you got 'er done before Christmas. You da man.:bowdown: You've inspired me to tear into a project saw of my own this winter. If I get stuck I know where to turn.......:D

Ekka, your generosity will not go astray.
Merry Christmas to all.
blsnelling, can I send you a saw to 'renovate'?:clap:

See you all next year I'm off to NZ

Hooroo
Marc

Great Job Brad

I just love a success story, Did you bead blast the cases or really sand blast it... Great Christmas Present,,,,, Hey you could always find a decent handle or paint that one Pearl white!!!!!! with raciing stripes,,,,, LOL Good looking saw Im starting on my 440 Big bore now that Ive seen yours It looks great:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

blsnelling said:
Is there any way to "bleach" the tank/handle back to white? I'd take it back apart if someone could tell me how to do it. Now's a fine time to ask huh:bang:

Nope.... But there are paints that will stick to the nylon (PA66-GF) if it's correctly primed... Look at the new automotive paints for bumpers etc.

Just use it.. once dirty you'll get over it;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back