Kindling box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Built a kindling box out of scrap dimensional and sheet goods I had kicking around.

Nothing fancy. 2'x4'x30" and will hold enough to make it through the winter. I fill it with scraps from the splitter.

20150829_185210-1.jpg 20150829_185033-1.jpg

Anyone have something similar?

I use a huge pile wherever there is a "corner" in the log yard haha. We end up having a bonfire or two over the year to get rid of it all. Last year's fire burned for 4 days.

The sawdust I actually sell for $50 a bag. We use those big "super sacks". I make 1-2 a week.

Looks good Josh, you split really small.

I have a convoluted method to my madness. The first stack you see is early season wood...when you need a small fire to take the nip out of the air. The subsequent stacks get larger pieces (6"-8" or so) and higher quality (Doug Fir) wood. The ends of the stacks get special attention...similar sized pieces so they hold tight. Any limb wood over 6" gets split just to help with drying. No chimney fires for me!

I use a huge pile wherever there is a "corner" in the log yard haha. We end up having a bonfire or two over the year to get rid of it all. Last year's fire burned for 4 days.

You should chip it and make mulch. Pays better than a bonfire.

You should chip it and make mulch. Pays better than a bonfire.

Have looked into, problem is a tub grinder to handle wood chucks, branches, etc used is in the 40k area and the mulch would be a tough sell, it wouldn't be that pretty colored stuff like at the hardware store.

0423oduct_382.jpg

I have several , different sizes and colours ,some even cracked and repaired LOL
I drill a few holes in the bottoms so they don't hold water .
I fill them with chunks and kindling , usually gain one or two after a wind storm and I have been known to stop on the side of the highway to pick them up .

Animal bedding mostly. Also a refinery uses it to mix in with sulfur to absorb the remaining diesel.

Built a kindling box out of scrap dimensional and sheet goods I had kicking around.

Nothing fancy. 2'x4'x30" and will hold enough to make it through the winter. I fill it with scraps from the splitter.

View attachment 444022 View attachment 444024

Anyone have something similar?
I wish I had stacks similar!! Is it wrong that I have Creeped the post 3 times just to look at the photo of the stacks?

Back