Large bar and small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You had way too much time on your hands.
Between my FIL and I an 011avt cut all are fire wood for 20 years. Still don't own anything over 60cc. In the OP case I'd just keep the chain sharp and hack away at it with the 20.

Sounds like it would be hard on a saw.

I helped an older gentleman buck up two oaks that were both just over 40" with an 028 super and a 16" bar. He used wood as primary heat so the trees had to be processed. The cuts were made so the blocks weren't over 16" apart. The blocks were then noodled out of the larger trunks. It was time consuming but each cut made a dent.

You could go old school and get a 6-7 foot one man saw if your in shape. But as mentioned above its ****in cottonwood 28 inch with a sharp full skip chisel, and some 32:1 fuel because it's going to be WFO for a while

Almost completely bucked an ash tree this past Saturday, that started at 36" diameter and moved to about 44"+, with my big bore (039/390) and MM 029 super that was wearing a 20" B&C. This was the break in for my big bore kit. I was able to cut all of the big stuff with the 20" bar, just had to get it to break in the center on the stuff that the 20" wouldn't reach. Breaking it wasn't a big deal, just rocked it til it broke. You should be able to do the cuts with the 20". Would I have preferred to have a 25" on my saw, yes. I just couldn't justify the money at this time, to get the B&C. I made it work and really didn't have any problems.

had one of these I went through a 36 inch red oak one winter long since dead and dried final fell over, then I cut it up. If you don't get into a hurry it should work with what you got just fine. there will be some creative cutting though. I finally got to where this saw was a to much work for its out put. so I had to throw it away it never did die even though it was underwater for an indetermined length of time, I could go on and on.....
Yeah, but that's a banana bar!

Back