More power from a chainsaw....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Black

Mildly Eccentric
Reaction score
Is every saw able to be upgraded...? They should be...

Air, gas, compression, bore, jets, carbs, S-plug, and chain sprocket... Other than those things, am I missing anything?

Upgrading a vehicles efficiency starts with an Air filter, Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, then writing a custom tune for the computer (or psi/O2 tune for carb)...

So, how about a chainsaw... Where would you start?

most common mods on saws start with a limiter cap removal, muffler mod. then base gasket delete, if the saw allows for it. timing advance? Porting? two piece head? tuned pipe? Nitro???

Is every saw able to be upgraded...? They should be...

Air, gas, compression, bore, jets, carbs, S-plug, and chain sprocket... Other than those things, am I missing anything?

Upgrading a vehicles efficiency starts with an Air filter, Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, then writing a custom tune for the computer (or psi/O2 tune for carb)...

So, how about a chainsaw... Where would you start?

I'd start with a sharp chain.

I would start with a muffler mod and tune the carb after the mod. Get some high octane gas, non ethanol if possible and some fully synthetic oil. Keep the air filter clean and sharpen the chain often and if its a safety chain swap it out for a pro chain.

Just, throwing this out there....

Anybody NOT doing routine maintenance i.e. Sharpening chains and cleaning Air filters... Should NOT be doing mods...

But, I do agree... Getting a more agressive chain should be first...

Yeah proper maintenance is the first step. I have found a few nice saws on the side of the road by trash cans and they were so dull and caked in saw dust. I even found one with the chain on backwards. :dizzy:

If you are looking to upgrade your saws I would say muffler mod/limiter delete for the 400 and upgrade the 460 to an XP model.

I'm not in any way making money from wood... I will be milling board and batten siding to build a rustic barn... But at my own pace, my saws are great, but I knew they had hidden power...

My 455 took a beating and kept up. I do recommend selling the 460 and getting a 555 or 562xp. They are better in every way.

I paid $385 for my 455 Rancher. Sold it for $300 and put that towards a 555.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You can mill with the 460 but it might not last for a barn worth of lumber. My buddy milled with his ms391 but only to build a table and bench. It seemed to handle it just fine. It wouldnt be a bad idea to sell the 460 and get a pro saw but that would cost money. Maybe just mill with the 460 and prove everyone wrong or learn a lesson and have an excuse for a new saw. :yes:

When you start the barn project try to keep track of how many board feet you get. Take pics or vids too. I think it will be interesting to document and see how the 460 handles a torture test.

Latest posts

Back