Ms880 modified to fit 42" 3/8 x .063 3003 bar mount

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoodiegadoo

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yes it was a pain. Now that it's finished I'm not sure I'd do it again but...I got into a bind with timing. I couldn't get the 404 bar and chains that I needed in time to mill this large walnut I'm working on and the 461 just couldn't make it happen. So I started researching if I could make this bar work in the meantime since I already had it and a few milling chains. Turns out you can make it work and hindsight being 20/20 it's not as bad as you might be thinking halfway through praying that it works.

4 things are needed to make this happen.

3/8 rim sprocket. I went with the same 7pin

The bottom of the bar studs have to be ground flat completely removing the shoulder of the stud. Next time I would remove the chain tensioning screw first to save it from being ground as collateral damage.

The chain needs to be lengthened, in my case by 2 drive links.

Once the studs are ground, the chain is lengthened and on, it allows you to see where you need to grind the bar.

The slot in the bar has to be opened up to allow room for adjusting the chain tension screw.

Haven't tested it out in any substantial wood yet but will tomorrow. Everything appears to be functioning as it should.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

If there's an easier way jump in at anytime. Meanwhile I have new bar studs, bar, and chain on its way. Just in case.

Problem with the 880 is if you plan to use the saws oiler at all, the smaller bar has to be raised (not centered) for the oil hole to line up.

Are you making the choice to add chain length instead of making the bar slot longer and creating a new adjuster hole and perhaps oil hole?

Sorry I missed this question. Yes is the answer. Hope you weren’t holding your breath

Howdy,
Turn the studs 90 degrees before you cut the bottoms off. The 12mm bar slot won't let them loosen any more than that. Just tighten them to their original position for use with the standard 14mm bar slot. We used to do this same thing to get a Husqvarna mount bar to fit the 12mm stud. You just rotate the studs 90 degrees and cut the top & bottom shoulders off the stud. Then you can just turn them to fit the bar you want to use. Same deal, when they're in the Husqvarna position the bar slot will keep them from loosening.
Regards
Gregg

Back