New 1 ton options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Its time for a new 1 ton. And by new I mean off the showroom new. Looking back, nothing costs me more in down time than when my dump is down so I am going brand new. Questions...

11' stake body
9'3" standard steel dump

I will put a box on either myself. Right now I have an 8' standard steel bed. I was thinking the 11' stake body would allow me to haul longer logs too and that extra 3 feet of chip box would be incredible. What do you guys think? Is the stake body platform going to be heavy duty enough?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am definitely getting a 3500 gasser truck.

I got a quote for $36,000 plus tax and title for a 2wd. Thats for either truck configuration. A dodge with a 6.4 hemi and a ford with a 6.2. I am going to upgrade to a 4wd. I have an older ford with a 351w that is a little slow but honestly, does what I need it to.

I have been using my gas 3500 chevy since 2011. With the 6' tall chip box and barn doors, (9' bed) it holds more chip than you would think. There are some days it would be nice to fit more chips before dumping, but I like being able to fit into everyone's yard and not be heavy enough to worry about having to plywood in.

Try to get the cab and chassis only, no bed on the new truck if you're going to change it out anyway. Cheaper to buy. 4WD is the way to go too. I have a V10 ford and it's great. You can only get the V10 in a 550 now. Look into the additional costs of a heavier rear if you're ito hauling logs and heavy weight. My 350 is rated for 14K GVWR. Sometimes overloaded.

I wasnt going to change it out. I was going to order a flatbed dump.

4wd f550 gasser with aluminum body. Wait until the end of the season with a leftover sitting on the lot. You'll get it for the lowest price. No diesel, no problems, put the savings into an aluminum body that will last for ever and increase payload.

Try to get the cab and chassis only, no bed on the new truck if you're going to change it out anyway. Cheaper to buy. 4WD is the way to go too. I have a V10 ford and it's great. You can only get the V10 in a 550 now. Look into the additional costs of a heavier rear if you're ito hauling logs and heavy weight. My 350 is rated for 14K GVWR. Sometimes overloaded.

What year is your f550 and how is the gasser? Thats probably my next truck. How does it do loaded with the chipper?

I have the V10 in a 2005 F350. It has 61K on the truck and runs like a champ. No problem dragging a BC1000XL around. I've had it loaded with pine logs 9-10ft long and hauls no problem. I don't like all the weight on the springs and axles but the motor keeps up perfectly.

There it is! Its a 2016 left over ram 3500 6.4. Its getting the bed built right now. Got it for $37,500.

4badb8f78f7543f2563e7744d6ee4ead.jpg
5e19459fd29d7de66066ebcdf5551810.jpg

My chips truck is a Ram 3500 diesel. It has a steel chip box, which holds close to 15 yards. I threw airbags on it and it hauls a full load and pulls a BC1000 easily.

It doesn't get much more tried-and-true than GM's 6.0. I've had several they aren't the most powerful gas on the market but most definitely the most reliable

I installed a backup camera too. Its pretty handy. I have it wired to the 12v plug in the cab so I can have it on all the time if I want. I'm also not running a box on top. I have a lid that tilts up, like a spoiler. I just remove 2 pins and the lid comes off. This way I can get the boards out and side load it.

Latest posts

Back