New MS462 C-M...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use them at work with a 25" on very hard gums, so far they are better than the 660, as reliable with more power and less vibes

The 660 is a legend here

If they are as reliable there's something different about them between Oz and here or your not running them hard enough lol 25" is about the longest I'd run on them with stihls sad excuse for spring AV.

I'm willing to bet good money the wood they are cutting in OZ is a lot harder than what you are cutting in the PNW.
Wood density goes without saying...thats obvious.

the guys i know in montana hate 661s too...same reasons..trash filtration and garbage springs with long bars.

461s not so much.

If they are as reliable there's something different about them between Oz and here or your not running them hard enough lol 25" is about the longest I'd run on them with stihls sad excuse for spring AV.

Ive heard the same from users of your caliber.

You need to remember how important saw brands are to some guys shane..

good suggestion, only thing is these saws usually end up on a hill somewhere only accessible by helicopter expected to just start and run everyday. kinda what the 660 was good at lol. i heard the maxflow is a cookie cutting filter for the commited cookie cutters. a bit added power but need a sink, soap, and oil just to clean it. they don't clean well on the hill.
Redbull661 has been doing some testing with max flow ,i think he has around 30 tanks on the same foam filter without cleaning it and it is still working good .Yes they are a pain in the arse to clean .I would recommend a couple extra filters for the guys way out there .i am pretty sure a guy could clean them by dunking in gas and letting air dry on a stump .I have heard of some guys around here oiling them with bar oil ,but i would use filter oil .more crap to pack into the woods though ,i understand .

Redbull661 has been doing some testing with max flow ,i think he has around 30 tanks on the same foam filter without cleaning it and it is still working good .Yes they are a pain in the arse to clean .I would recommend a couple extra filters for the guys way out there .i am pretty sure a guy could clean them by dunking in gas and letting air dry on a stump .I have heard of some guys around here oiling them with bar oil ,but i would use filter oil .more crap to pack into the woods though ,i understand .

30 tanks is pretty good though. Hard to imagine one lasting that long without a cleaning. Should see an HD2 after a day lol all it takes is a day of stihl filtration to see just how good husky's is. I don't mind the old stihls with the screw knob though. As long as a guy is careful removing the air filter for cleaning they work pretty decent. Remove the air filter a certain way can result in a plume of saw dustdown the intake lol. 660's could take it.

Big difference.

When I was on an arborist crew, the 660's got more hours then the logging crew I was on. We did tree length and even at the landing, everybody favored the 70 cc saws (372 and 440s). On the arborist crew we were basically blocking to firewood length wood all day if the big saws were out. The logging crew was mostly softwoods vs mostly oaks so I can see why they were happy with a 70cc saw and a 24in bar on it.

I know every crew is different, but that is just my experience. I liked the 660 I ran and saw no issues with the filtration, but I think they had the big foam ones on it. I spend more time running the chipper or fixing hilariously broken things though.

When I was on an arborist crew, the 660's got more hours then the logging crew I was on. We did tree length and even at the landing, everybody favored the 70 cc saws (372 and 440s). On the arborist crew we were basically blocking to firewood length wood all day if the big saws were out. The logging crew was mostly softwoods vs mostly oaks so I can see why they were happy with a 70cc saw and a 24in bar on it.

I know every crew is different, but that is just my experience. I liked the 660 I ran and saw no issues with the filtration, but I think they had the big foam ones on it. I spend more time running the chipper or fixing hilariously broken things though.

what area of logging? on a landing here there is absolutely no way an arborist would even come close to the hours in a day. fallers don't come close to landing buckers because they work half the time a landing bucker does. only thing is a landing bucker has the comfort of flat ground to work on. i know if an arborist is piecing a tree down it can mean some saw time but it takes them a day or 2 on some tree's lol a faller will fall, limb, and buck 30 in a morning using the same saw for everything. 6 hours on steep ground is more work then 12 on flat. to me anyways. i like the 6 cause it's done and still got a day afterwards.

I know there's not much love for the 441, but I rarely ever have much in the filter. I am just a firewood hack though!
When the wingnut doesn't vibrate loose the filter works well[emoji4] and stays clean a long time. You just have to check the wingnut regularly.

Is their not a stiff spring option for the 661? I liked the 361 I had, but the springs had way too much play.

what area of logging? on a landing here there is absolutely no way an arborist would even come close to the hours in a day. fallers don't come close to landing buckers because they work half the time a landing bucker does. only thing is a landing bucker has the comfort of flat ground to work on. i know if an arborist is piecing a tree down it can mean some saw time but it takes them a day or 2 on some tree's lol a faller will fall, limb, and buck 30 in a morning using the same saw for everything. 6 hours on steep ground is more work then 12 on flat. to me anyways. i like the 6 cause it's done and still got a day afterwards.

Remember the type of tree can make a big difference. Removing the redial growing limbs on a fur tree, is a bit easier than a nasty Silver Maple or Red Oak.

Well it was a hand crew on the east coast. I always was told we were doing 'tree length' work (limbed and topped at the stump, then skidded to the landing) or 'whole tree' (felled and skidded back to the landing) if a stroke de-limber showed up. Some days cutting softwood and hardwood pulp and other days softwood saw logs. Don't really know what Im supposed to call it. I was a meathead and did whatever I was asked. Spent as much time fixing stuff as running saws. I did not fall, I lived on the landing. Used a cable skidder to move all the trees wood to the landing, but I was never the one running it. Fixed some of its issues, but never got to use it.

Also depends on the arborist. I did more falling in the summer I worked there and ran a saw nearly as many hours as I did on a landing, if anything more hours. We did 3-4 day jobs a lot removing 5 or 15 trees on larger properties. Did a couple 1/4 acre or 1/2 acre clear cuts. Those jobs we cut to 8' 6" or 9' logs if they were worth anything as saw logs, rest was firewood. Got a lot of standing dead wood that way. Learned a lot about directional falling and the like, but still need to get better. Whenever possible the whole tree got taken down in one go vs chunking it.

Remember the type of tree can make a big difference. Removing the redial growing limbs on a fur tree, is a bit easier than a nasty Silver Maple or Red Oak.

what about 30 fir tree's? in the morning, another 20 after lunch, all 3-8'er's on a 70% grade lol. i do look at some of those eastern tree's and think they must be ****** to limb. a real shaggy cedar is ****** too. i agree that everything to do with forestry or any tree work is hard work but if anyone thinks anything within the industry is harder work or harder on gear then coast falling or rigging they need to lay off the sauce lol

Urban or old fence lines are hands down the nastiest trees to deal with. My firewood prices are built around assuming I destroy a chain on a nail or iron bar ever 25 hrs of work. I have 25 chains from the last year that are destroyed to the point of uselessness from hitting things in wood.

Urban or old fence lines are hands down the nastiest trees to deal with. My firewood prices are built around assuming I destroy a chain on a nail or iron bar ever 25 hrs of work. I have 25 chains from the last year that are destroyed to the point of uselessness from hitting things in wood.

are you seriously comparing firewood and logging now? lol

661's that actually get used have saw dust make it's way past the filter. happens on everyone i have seen too. i forget what my buddy does to make it better but it's some kind of a piece off an MS180 he uses to put more pressure on the filter to seal against the base. of course, that saw with a few days on it has more run time then alot of guys put on a saw in a year or 2. lol
This must be a reoccuring thing because I noticed this with the MS193T I just bought - Noticed wood dust inside/under the air filter. The little nickel sponge simply isn't thick enough to properly seal against the hole in the center of the filter, when the airfilter cover knob is pressing against it. Had to cut a piece of gasket paper to stuff under the sponge and grease the rim of the filter. Now it seems to seal nice and tight, but time will only tell......

This must be a reoccuring thing because I noticed this with the MS193T I just bought - Noticed wood dust inside/under the air filter. The little nickel sponge simply isn't thick enough to properly seal against the hole in the center of the filter, when the airfilter cover knob is pressing against it. Had to cut a piece of gasket paper to stuff under the sponge and grease the rim of the filter. Now it seems to seal nice and tight, but time will only tell......

if the 193 is anything like a 660 you should be able to just remove the air filter and run it. :numberone:

are you seriously comparing firewood and logging now? lol
You said hard on equipment. That working environment is pretty hard on equipment. I clear a lot of old fence lines for firewood. Not 'logging' but its sure as hell running a saw. Most of the logging I have seen in CT are clearing old fence lines or old farms for subdivisions.

With the way the wood is I figure if I am going all day I need to bring 6 chains from damage, had days where I go through 5. This happened to me the other day, brand new chain. At least not one of my nicer ones. I sharpened it up and figure it will be good for flush cutting a stump.

Attachments

• trashed chain.jpg
    trashed chain.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Back