Stihl MS 261 c-m

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hot air

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at buying a MS261 c-m chainsaw to replace a MS250 that if teparmental to start. (at least for me it is) Are there any issues with the 261 or is there a better choice in that price range?

Look forward to see what owner have to say. Thanks in advance!

I have about the same experience as others here, love the 261. Mine is M-tronic and hasn’t had the first problem since 2018. As stated it pulls an 18” in hardwood great, but mine currently wears a 16” bar just to lighten it up some. It will cut anything I have ran upon, it will even noodle rounds. Never has it not started but it does take 4 or 5 pulls cold, 1 when warm. If you can afford it, you won’t be disappointed.

Looking at buying a MS261 c-m chainsaw to replace a MS250 that if teparmental to start. (at least for me it is) Are there any issues with the 261 or is there a better choice in that price range?

Look forward to see what owner have to say. Thanks in advance!
Are you are happy with the MS250 from a size/weight and performance standpoint?

If so, then I would get an Echo CS4910 while they are still obtainable. It's a nice 50cc saw that is easy to start and reliable. It will perform better than the 250 assuming both are unmodified... Significantly cheaper than a 261. If you absolutely need the extra power of the 261 for the extra price that's a great saw...

That is the path I took (4910) but I also held onto the 250. Fortunately I am not plagued with the hard starting issue so may seem to have...

The 261 is probably the best 1 saw plan for 95% of people.

Even stock, they're very solid saws that will last a very long time. If you don't have a bunch of other saws running 3/8" chain, there's no real reason to make that switch. 20" bar will get you through most of what non-professionals need to get through. Pulls hard after it's broke in. I was actually unimpressed with my 261 right off the bat, however, after 10 tanks, it surprises me how much power that little saw has.

You will be happy with the difference between a 250 and a 261 in my opinion. Great upgrade.

Me too, works really well with a 3/8" and I don't have to change over my grinder wheel.
yup I had the dealer swap my saws over to 3/8 too, they questioned me on the first one I bought, the other 3 when i called and asked if they had any, I told them that i wanted it in 3/8 pitch, they said no problem.

My dealer would not do the swap. I've a brand new .325 B&C I'll never use. Can't find a buyer either. If I ever sell the saw it will be apart of the sale. Same thing I did with the ms290.

My dealer would not do the swap. I've a brand new .325 B&C I'll never used. Can't find a buyer either. If I ever sell the saw it will be apart of the sale. Same thing I did with the ms290.
The dealer asked why? and I said because I have a 460 and a 661 that are 3/8 and I don't want it .325 is why. But they also won't just sell me a power head either. so, I go to a different dealer, if I just want a powerhead, and they won't even test fire it for me or put oil in it as I told them I am sending it the saws out to be ported too.

The dealer asked why? and I said because I have a 460 and a 661 that are 3/8 and I don't want it .325 is why. But they also won't just sell me a power head either. so, I go to a different dealer, if I just want a powerhead, and they won't even test fire it for me or put oil in it as I told them I am sending it the saws out to be ported too.

I bought my 400c powerhead only. Difference was a small dealer vs. a very large dealer that sold a whole variety of things and saw sales was a minor part of their business.

Back