New Oregon 620-120 Hydraulic sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RentalDude44

Reaction score
Been sharpening for 25 years using a vintage Efco and I use a 511A for rakers. Just picked up one of the first 620-120 Hydraulic unit from Oregon. It is taking some time to get used to it, EVERYTHING is different than what I had before, but I like it a lot. I am sharpening faster, but I don't like that heavy spring. I sharpen about 25 chains a week. Gonna retire the Efco to my home shop.

Attachments

• Sharpening.jpg
    Sharpening.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 83
I would like to hear more and how you are getting along with it. I just ordered one for the shop

Been sharpening for 25 years using a vintage Efco and I use a 511A for rakers. Just picked up one of the first 620-120 Hydraulic unit from Oregon. It is taking some time to get used to it, EVERYTHING is different than what I had before, but I like it a lot. I am sharpening faster, but I don't like that heavy spring. I sharpen about 25 chains a week. Gonna retire the Efco to my home shop.
Hey that's a great grinder....Isounds like you have been doing this a long time, so you will find your sweet spot with her really fast!!!!

I have a Oregon 520 and yes the return spring is very stout....

Anyway glad to see you got it, let us know how you like her....oh and if you want throw up some upclose pics of the cutters, I have a chain sharpening obsession LOL, hey atleast I can admit it!!!

I still say the best modification you can do to a chainsaw is always have a properly ground/filed chain on them!!!!

Never looked at one. Is it a hydraulic motor? Or what is hydraulic on it?
The chain lock is activated by a little hydro piston that is activated when you start pulling the sharpening head down.

I got my 620 delivered today. No real time to test it out but will add to this once I get some time on one.

@Philbert do you know how to do the 10 degree side plate angle. The 620 looks like it slides the whole vice forward and aft instead of rotating it in the centered position. Any expert input?

The hydraulic vise does not tilt. But if you slide the vise forward or backward, you can hit the cutter with a curved part (arc) of the wheel, instead of dead center (tangent) which provides a similar effect.
Screen shot 2017-03-24 at 11.29.30 PM.png
This may feel a bit counter intuitive, since we try to center the wheel on the 511A model grinders, and slide the vice slightly on the 511AX to compensate for wheel wear. I believe that something similar is done with the STIHL grinders (can anyone comment?)

This is from the manual for an Oregon 109179 (earlier version) hydraulic clamp grinder (note that you are not limited to just 0° or 10°):
Screen shot 2017-03-24 at 11.13.46 PM.png

Philbert

The hydraulic vise does not tilt. But if you slide the vise forward or backward, you can hit the cutter with a curved part (arc) of the wheel, instead of dead center (tangent) which provides a similar effect.
View attachment 567710
This may feel a bit counter intuitive, since we try to center the wheel on the 511A model grinders, and slide the vice slightly on the 511AX to compensate for wheel wear. I believe that something similar is done with the STIHL grinders (can anyone comment?)

This is from the manual for an Oregon 109179 (earlier version) hydraulic clamp grinder (note that you are not limited to just 0° or 10°):
View attachment 567704

Philbert
You’re top dog on grinders. We never heard back from OP on this. I’m getting 620 tomorrow. My first order is to figure how to reverse the wheel without the drill technique. Old post I know, but you’re still around.

Back