Oak Tree roots under pavers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southwick

Reaction score
Hello Arborsite, I am hoping you can help me out! In my backyard we have a large oak tree. It is surrounded by your standard groundcover, and just beyond that is a paver patio, using your standard brick sized paver. Over the last few years roots have started lifting up the pavers fanning outward from the tree. We are looking to sell so I wanted to take a look under the pavers and see what I was dealing with. Instead of seeing large roots pushing up under the pavers what I found was (seemingly) hundreds of tiny roots creating a thick matt that was slowly lifting the pavers. The closer to the tree the denser the matting of roots, with many having sapling shoots coming off of them.

In my hast i started to remove this buildup from a small section, but upon realizing how thick it was, and not wanting to risk harm to the tree, stopped work. Most of the roots are probably less than an 1/8" thick.

Is it possible to remove these roots without damage to the tree. If not what options exist in these situations, because at this point the pavers not sitting on the previous poured concrete slab are eventually all going to be lifted.

Thank you!

Attachments

• tree_roots.jpg
    tree_roots.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 32
These are feeder roots. If it's that thick their probably an important source of water for the tree. Most oaks are sensitive to changes in their environment.
Do you want to put the pavers back in? Before cutting the roots you might just add a little more sand. Best would be to just mulch over it and extend the pavers some place else.
Pavers are often used around roots just for that effect. They allow water and nutrients to reach the roots.

If you take the square area of the tree canopy (area under the drip line), in terms of percentage, how much would you be affecting?

If your tree canopy had a 10' radius, the square area would be pi r^2 = 314 sq ft. If the area you are affecting is less than 15%, then I think the tree can handle it. I've allowed up to 30% impact on new developments, but was a different species.

Latest posts

Back