Old echo 302, belonged to grandpa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullvi22

Enthusiastic Amateur
Reaction score
I ended up with my grandads old echo, probably from the 70s I would guess. Anyone know anything about this saw? Its not running at the moment, but piston looks ok, and compression seems decent, no gauge test yet. Im looking for a carb kit to start out, see if I can get it running again. How hard is it to buy parts for this thing?
IMG_2079.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg

302 were super reliable saws.Problem ive seen the most, i believe was the fuel line rubber becoming soft and "gluey".You have to remove starter to reach the hose.Good hp for his size.Parts should still be easy to get from Echo dealers.

You can get a few parts from a dealer but most from ebay. Nice saw running 14", 3/8lp chain.

I just finished going through my grandpas JD version of that one. (30 or 35, I forgot)

It needed a new fuel line thT is NLA. The problem is that the barb on the carb is smaller than the barb on the "90*" piece for the pickup.

I first ended up getting a piece of Tygon that fit the plastic transition piece (for lack of a better term) but it was to large for the carb barb, so I clamped it.
That hose was slightly to large and the flywheel rubbed the Tygon. The clearance is tight between the line and flywheel.

I ended up finding a thinner wall piece of Tygon and slightly warmed up the end of it to slide onto the transition, but it was a great fit onto the carb.

Good to know, I'm going to try to find a carb kit for it first thing, then we'll go from there. Its a really cool saw, very simple design. Never seen anything quite like it. I hope I can get running again for nostalgia if nothing else.

Back