Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Philbert I'll do just that then. Leave it exposed until next late summer then swap it inside or cover it. And yes haha my neighbors feared I was going to be selling wood! Each load the guy showed up with would bring droves of neighbors out asking silly questions about why anyone would need so much wood. Am oddly proud of my citified stacks!

Cheers20160804_093836.jpg 20160810_132706.jpg

Wolves are awesome and actually hardly make any impact of wildlife. They keep the herds and genetic makeup of our wild animals strong and they should be protected at all costs.
Old wives tales of mad wolves are just that....tales.
If we live in their environment then we need to be responsible with our pets and keep them from running at large....I hear and see it all the time.
Our dog and past pets have always been safe and protected and we live in wolf, coyote and bear territory here. Make sure your dog is on your property in a fenced yard or in the house where it's safe and others are safe from it...easy peasy.
We're the irresponsible, lazy and the most destructive animal on this planet.
Don't believe everything negative you read about wild animals....it's usually a tall tale.
What??? o_O

Good morning folks,
So recently here in my (sadly) gentrified community liberals have driven up housing costs etc. etc. This in turn has affected Utility service prices as well. So in a moment of clarity, I decided to offset my heat pump with wood. Long story short I ordered 3 3+ cord log loads from a guy who gets them from an export yard. They come post-peeler too meaning less bugs and mess! My question is this... outback I've give or take 5 cord split and stacked ordered,cut,split and stacked in the month of August. The remainder of my pile is inside my garage as the first load I bought in April and its already ready to burn seemingly. This outside stack Y'all reckon I should cover it? Maybe even just the top and sides down about afoot or so? Or just leave it open to the elements? Am a newbie to wood-burning for heat. But electricity costs are cutting into my beer funds! Any replies enthusiastically welcomed.

Cheers.View attachment 531959

Granted, I'm on the other side of the planet. Still, I agree with Philbert. While it's drying out, sun and wind is excellent for seasoning. I don't think rain makes a great deal of difference at this stage. Once seasoned, you want to try to protect it from rain to keep it dry for burning and prevent festering moistness. Covering over the top to keep the worst of the rain off should do the job. My old man used to put corrugated iron over the top and it would provide an eve over the sides by about 6 inches which always worked well. Try to keep the bottom layer of firewood off the dirt as well. Cheerio.

I would also leave it uncovered to dry out a little first. Then cover it, but try and not let the cover touch the wood. You need wind and dry relative humidity to dry the wood.

First year doing my own wood, just finished building wood shed just over 2 cords in there right now ash, box elder and poplar hoping to have it completely filled next year. Have another 1 1/2 cord behind another shed.

Attachments

• 20161017_172405.jpg
    20161017_172405.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 20161017_172434.jpg
    20161017_172434.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • 20160719_180746.jpg
    20160719_180746.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 71
Adding some recent pics of our splitting area and wood stacks out back.
ec428c211e64bb85139e366b49dc3f83.jpg

A view from the roof.
0cc9e4ad198058f7f3478c14bd7f6315.jpg

0e1bbdc2160c9c3dc780295580374f8a.jpg

Thanks gentlemen,
I'm going to walk away from the stacks and leave them be until next late summer for sure! And no dirt here, its on pallets on a huge concrete pad. So by the time I get through the 3.5 cord I have already in the garage I ought to be ready to move at least 3 cord inside then I can order another load or 2 to upset my neighbors again with the ratatat sound of the saw! Cheers
and thanks for the help! This seems like a well knit and cordial community!

. . .then I can order another load or 2 to upset my neighbors again with the ratatat sound of the saw!
If you are really cutting it all up in you driveway, you might want to think about a good quality electric chainsaw (not the $30 box store ones) .

Lots of advantages for you and your neighbors: low noise, no smoke/smell, instant on/off, a lot less maintenance, etc.

I will post a few links to related threads.

Philbert

Philbert,
Yeah I do it all in my driveway. I've no issues taking my time measuring, do cuts and roll and finish. That keeps me from beating the snot outta my chains. And my neighbors know better than to say anything about noise! Haha considering I'm the go to guy for borrowing pressure washers, heavy tools etc. And on an odd note I went down to the garage this morning and that 455 Rancher I've been using with zero hiccups now has decided to evacuate it's bowels of bar oil! Ugh! I knew this was an issue with early builds of this saw and mine ran through the 9+ cords with no leakage whatsoever. Disappointing to say the least! I had just blown her down,lubed it up and ran a fresh can of trufuel mix through it to sorta winterize it! Go figure.

A lot of guys have ideas about electric saw, based on the $30 ones they have tried. But what would you expect from a $30 gas saw? That is why I stress the better electric saws (I have a few . . .). I live on a 50 X 150' lot in the city and am never more than 100' from an outlet. No gas to buy/store/mix/spill/dispose of. No ethanol issues. No hard starting. No flooding. No carb, spark plug, air filter, fuel filter. It's ON or it's OFF.

Really nice for use at a fixed location around a home, garage, barn, etc., especially if you want to pick it up intermittently to do work, without coming in the house smelling like 2-cycle exhaust. Plus the noise issue. Obviously, not something to take into the woods, but I have also used them for storm clean up around the neighborhood

Sample threads:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/electric-chainsaws.285663/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/electric-chainsaws.252573/

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...w-used-stihl-e20-vs-new-makita-uc4030.174360/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-oregon-corded-electric-chainsaw.268379/

Philbert

First year doing my own wood, just finished building wood shed just over 2 cords in there right now ash, box elder and poplar hoping to have it completely filled next year. Have another 1 1/2 cord behind another shed.
Great job on the shed and I'd say that you are WELL on your way to being ahead for seasoning firewood for years to come.
How much do you generally burn per season?
That's about exactly what I was thinking of , to build my own wood shed.
I already have some fence boards to use from my parent's property. and I was thinking of laying down crushed stone and putting the pallets inside just like you did there.
What did you use for roofing material?
How much did it cost you for all materials? ...
Sorry for all the questions and no obligation to answer but if you don't mind telling....lol.
Thanks

Great job on the shed and I'd say that you are WELL on your way to being ahead for seasoning firewood for years to come.
How much do you generally burn per season?
That's about exactly what I was thinking of , to build my own wood shed.
I already have some fence boards to use from my parent's property. and I was thinking of laying down crushed stone and putting the pallets inside just like you did there.
What did you use for roofing material?
How much did it cost you for all materials? ...
Sorry for all the questions and no obligation to answer but if you don't mind telling....lol.
Thanks

Thanks I tried to make it look nice lol. Last winter was my first year burning and we went through 2 1/2 cords roughly but we cant usually keep the fire going 24/7. Was also a extremely mild winter not too many days colder than -25°C. For the roof I just threw some leftover sheets of osb on the top and covered with tarp for this year until I get some tin next spring. Overall cost was 5-600 dollars which lots of that could have been avoided with a much simpler design. Just bought lumber and started screwing it together and that was what I came up with. Attached pics give better idea of design

Attachments

• 20160908_201228.jpg
    20160908_201228.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20160929_190109.jpg
    20160929_190109.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
That's not bad at all.
I have a bit of the lumber, but will need all the structural stuff.
I like your design for my place here and it's plenty big enough foe my shoulder-burning firewood needs by the looks of it.
My primary heat source is a large wood pellet stove of which I burn around 120 bags a season and I store them inside.
I was thinking of using tight spaced roof rafters and then putting PAL clear roofing on it to get suns heat on top in summer.
But that may cost way too much.
How big is it? What's the footprint of each cell and how high is the roof?

And on an odd note I went down to the garage this morning and that 455 Rancher I've been using with zero hiccups now has decided to evacuate it's bowels of bar oil!
Sometimes a thorough cleaning can cause the bar oil to leak out.........the built up sawdust tends to seal areas.

Good morning folks,
So recently here in my (sadly) gentrified community liberals have driven up housing costs etc. etc. This in turn has affected Utility service prices as well. So in a moment of clarity, I decided to offset my heat pump with wood. Long story short I ordered 3 3+ cord log loads from a guy who gets them from an export yard. They come post-peeler too meaning less bugs and mess! My question is this... outback I've give or take 5 cord split and stacked ordered,cut,split and stacked in the month of August. The remainder of my pile is inside my garage as the first load I bought in April and its already ready to burn seemingly. This outside stack Y'all reckon I should cover it? Maybe even just the top and sides down about afoot or so? Or just leave it open to the elements? Am a newbie to wood-burning for heat. But electricity costs are cutting into my beer funds! Any replies enthusiastically welcomed.

Cheers.View attachment 531959

Get yourself a guard dog. Even liberals steal firewood.

Had'nt given that much thought Ronaldo, but great point! I regularly blow this thing down after a days use anyways though...but who knows. Neighbor that works for a shop that redoes big milling bands said it might be that manufacturing debris finally broke loose inside it and to try turning the oiler down a notch (I leave it wide open). I'll look more into it tomorrow...I'm on my 2nd bottle of central Oregon pinot noir and in no shape to be playing with sharp objects haha!
Cheers

Back