Poulan 4200 parts saw prices and why do people value old saws that are not antiques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
View attachment 399099
When you see those old Poulans with all the paint worn off the handles and the magnesium polished smooth from use and still run, it makes you wonder how many rears service is left in one that has pristine original paint and has seen little use. I agree that a low compression parts saw wouldn't be worth that much to me, but then again I don't need any of those parts either. If I did I might feel otherwise.

Agree.

3800-1.jpg Poulan 4000.jpg

I just bid on a running 4200 at 310.00 and was outbid 10 mins later at 340.00! I was just curious to the true value. I'm sure the bow is worth something by its self since you can't just buy one anywhere. Sorry if I angered anyone for digging up a old post. Lol

Old saws are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. I guess yesterday the value of a 4200 bow saw was $340. Tomorrow it might be $40 and $540 the next day.

Don't let these folks give you grief for digging up a old thread. They don't have to read it.

If the top end cooked then you know it was a runner when it died. Pull the ignition from it and part out the rest and recover your money and get an expensive part on the cheap.

If you want a bow I know where you could buy one.

So far this is all I've found locally that has followed me home. I found a 3400 that needs some little stuff I working on now. Boy I like running the 4900 its a man that's for sure.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422554220135.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422554220135.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 12
Not doubting that a bit, I have alot of the "older" saws.

My point is, you can't buy these older saws that need pistons, rings etc. If you can find parts, there too much money.

I mean how can you pay $100 for a old saw and spend over $200 fixing it and it's still only a $200 saw when done?
I've done it!!!!!

I just noticed, that auction is still going. I just assumed it was over and that was the final price.

If that one is worth what its up to (and I think it should be) then what is this one worth?

It hardly had the paint scuffed on the bow when I got it, still has the original un sharpened Poulan chain on it. Its not for sale by the way...

100_0601 (Custom).JPG

This is very true these old poulans fit nicely with my 57 chevy 4x4 and cj2a. Simple reliable and proficient and 100% American

Back