Ready for next equipment purchase - log removal equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atothec

Reaction score
My name is Andrew from Huntsville, AL. I started a tree service in March 2017 this year after working 5 or so years in the industry. I'm 29 and I've been a climber/ manager/ salesman for those 5 years. I decided to start small, use friends when I need labor, and use affordable gear except all of my climbing gear and saw which are all top notch. Fully licensed/ insured, etc.
I mostly do small/ medium removals up to 3 or 4ft diameter, stump grinding, pruning, debris removal.
My first large purchase other than climbing gear was a 1992 International 4000 series chip truck and 1995 Asplundh Whisper Chipper combo for about 10k. I've paid it off in about 1 month (profit after costs), and am now looking toward my next purchase.
I am selling my tricked out 4x4 tacoma and will hopefully get about 12-15k out of that. I need to have a truck to tow trailers and equipment.

My question - What would you buy if you needed a tow vehicle and something to deal with logs, and your total budget was about $20-25k

My current thought direction -
$10k full size pickup with gooseneck hitch, maybe dump bed
$3-5k Dump Trailer
$5-10k Mini Loader

I just started 2 months ago and do not have a 100% steady stream of work yet so I'm only keeping one main guy around and using laborers when we have a large amount of debris. We've been disking logs up and hand loading the chip truck, loading my offroad tacoma, etc. I think the mini loader would make the 2 man crew rock.

Thanks for any input and advice,
-Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 61
I think for a good truck in your price range I would look for a good older used Ram 3500 Cummins with a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a large capacity chipper 12-18". Lose the chuck and duck.
I hate those slow feed chippers too many moving parts = high maintenance. The chuck and ducks rock and keep rockin many many years. Anything larger than 6 inch is firewood anyway. Pick up a good Mini you will love it. I agree on older cummins

There's a small time tree guy around me, I see him all the time. He runs around in a small dumpster truck (10-15 yard) He's got a winch on the top rail opposite the dumpster door. Puts the dumpster down winches logs in picks it up then dumps it. He has had it full of chips and debris also. Thought it was pretty nifty. I think it's an older international truck.

I'm located just south of you around the lake Martin area. Been doing tree work for about 8 years. Operating my own tree and landscaping company for the past 3 1/2

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Cheapest route is good dual axle utility trailer 16' or 18' long. Might not look as professional but will definitely do the job short term

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back