• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Free firewood (saw logs)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burning spruce and or pine one can get some creosote buildup in the chimney that would have to be dealt with. We have plenty of softwood here and some will use it for firewood. An unlined brick chimney is the worst, one with a clay liner is a bit better but they both would need to have the creosote removed often, if that creosote catches fire it burns really hot, hot enough to burst bricks and hot enough to start a fire if wood framing is close enough to overheat and burst into flames. I have been present when fires broke out 3-4 days after a chimney fire had been knocked down by the fire dept. but the residue that had collected at the base inside the chimney was still slow burning and flared up enough to burn again. The heat generated is terrific.

If it was feasible I would have went and cleaned him out. Have a hard time believing there isn't anyone close to him that doesn't want wood.
All the split cord wood around here isn't selling, and I see large stockpiles not moving, the weather here is trending mild !

Idk about that. Lots of complaints from the guys I work with over pellet price increases this year. (last year.) And i know propane jumped up pretty good too. My time at home is worth whatever I'm doing, whatever gas I used in the splitter and saws. Still managing to get wood for free. Even if I got a straight truck of logs I'd be heating for ~$600.00 +time and gas bucking and splitting.
Give and take I guess, whatever your preference. I don't mind dealing with the wood, so long ad it's free.

We're simply a different breed. Our ancestors burned wood, raised chickens and canned green beans as a means of existence and the bulk share of them abandoned such things as quick as they could afford to do so. Not saying one's right or wrong, but times have certainly changed.

If I was closer I’d come get every last stick. I enjoy cutting wood but free wood is just that much better. When one burns through 25 cord a year you never turn it down. I burn mostly softwoods as that’s what grows on my fence lines and I need it gone so i may as well burn it !! I’d love to get me some oak or maple but I can’t bring myself to cut such nice trees trees down just to burn them !!

There are at least 25 outdoor boilers within 2 miles of me and a lot of us will help each other out. Especially if one of us is ahead a few years and we run across a deal like the OP has we will pass it on to whomever needs it.

Sure wish we were closer !!

So if anyone is in Cental MN and needs wood gone we can come with enough trucks and trailers and equipment to load 75 cord in one shot pretty easily. We’ve done 50 in one trip before with all of us a few years back. That was really fun !! A local sawmill had a big pile of pine saw logs that “went bad” somehow and we snatched them up.

We're simply a different breed. Our ancestors burned wood, raised chickens and canned green beans as a means of existence and the bulk share of them abandoned such things as quick as they could afford to do so. Not saying one's right or wrong, but times have certainly changed.
I can tell you which one is right and wrong, so much as there is an inherent right or wrong

Idk about that. Lots of complaints from the guys I work with over pellet price increases this year. (last year.) And i know propane jumped up pretty good too. My time at home is worth whatever I'm doing, whatever gas I used in the splitter and saws. Still managing to get wood for free. Even if I got a straight truck of logs I'd be heating for ~$600.00 +time and gas bucking and splitting.
Give and take I guess, whatever your preference. I don't mind dealing with the wood, so long ad it's free.
Please send the 600 log loads here and make me wealthy.

Come up to Pa and get them. Logger down the road sells by the straight truck load when he has fire wood.
Now that is interesting.
Could fit on my long trailer.
No one will come here.
Going to talk with a very good tree service I know of in the area who gives me logs and will deliver if provided with a spot in his working area. His is like an hour away and has mostly poker straight large yellow pine. Some knotty some not. Everythin good is mostly south and east of me about 45 minutes besides yard trees and tiny clearing jobs I may also look into. At this point subing everything out and being a walk onsite climber feels good. They don't worry about me and I won't need to worry about them. May look for bonded companies only. This gives me a feel for how they operate and if they should be brought back or not. It's either this or waste time going north to qualify who knows who to deliver me logs as things with saws and mills starts to ramp up privately.

I'm interested in his better stuff that didn't quite make the mill grade. Bigger the better. Can salvage what I want and send the rest to be bucked and split at my local woodlot. That will be tiny with very limited space. Two years out is the plan for that but in the mean time getting sticks delivered still looks slim besides tree services. I have to go cut my own about an hour south. The trees are limited to a few old millable hardwoods and thin pencil yellow pines in a bad spot, gets muddy, that was logged two years ago. The wind is taking out the row of about 60 trees naer 80 feet tall. They will be timber frame members for sure. Hope to find some red cedar or white in the back swamp we haven't been to yet. I've only seen 65 of the 125 acres there.

Too many jokers around me local selling bent black walnut tree limbs and poor quality pin oak for 100 a log 🤣
Really is comical now online. Plus I stopped driving to log pile estimates for milling. It's done by eye now. No pics message, no service, real simple.

Does he sort the logs there or pull loads from the woods as they come out?
Tops or sticks?
Your not that far but it needs to be worth my half day, fuel and bridge tolls. Night rides.

All the split cord wood around here isn't selling, and I see large stockpiles not moving, the weather here is trending mild !
You should seriously consider that a bunch of sellers in your area just don't care when it gets cold. The price goes up and wood will sit another month till the locals do run out of dry wood then start burning fresher stuff cut in the fall.

I think two more weeks will start the locals in my area looking for face cords delivered. I'm not selling any bulk wood anymore. My stacks are getting moved and started fresh this spring and summer. The leftovers are going in the hoophouse woodstove. Going to stack by species and do ten cords at the house in a single row if possible. 15-16" wood about five to six foot high stack on double skinny pallets. Two Tposts every ten feet or so.

Now that is interesting.
Could fit on my long trailer.
No one will come here.
Going to talk with a very good tree service I know of in the area who gives me logs and will deliver if provided with a spot in his working area. His lile is an hour away mostly poker straight large yellow pine. Some knotty some not. Everythingood is mostly south and easy of me about 45 minutes besides yard trees and tiny clearing jobs I may also look into. At this point subing everything out and being a walk onsite climber feels good. They don't worry about me and I won't need to worry about them. May look fir bonded companies only. This gives me a feel for how they operate and if they should be brought back or not. It's either this or waste time going north to qualify who knows who to deliver me logs as things with saws and mills starts to ramp up privately.

I'm interested in his better stuff that didn't quite make the mill grade. Bigger the better. Can salvage what I want and send the rest to be bucked and split at my local woodlot. That will be tiny with very limited space. Two years out is the plan for that but in the mean time getting sticks delivered still looks slim besides tree services. I have to go cut my own about an hour south. The trees are limited to a few old milling hardwoods and thin pencil pines in bad spot that was logged two years ago. The wind is taking out the row of about 60 trees. They will be timber frame members for sure. Hope to find some red cedar or white in the back swamp we haven't been to yet. I've only seen 65 of the 125 acres there.

Too many jokers around me local selling bent black walnut tree limbs and poor quality pin oak for 100 a log 🤣
Really is comical now online. Plus I stopped driving to log pile estimates for milling. It's done by eye now. No pics message, no service, real simple.

Does he sort the logs there or pull loads from the woods as they come out?
Tops or sticks?
Your not that far but it needs to be worth my half day, fuel and bridge tolls. Night rides.
I'm not sure how he sorts his fire wood logs, usually he calls and let's me know if he has anything for me. I just hook the trailer up, run down the street and take however many loads out. If you're interested I can ask him is non-buddy price for fire logs.

I'm not sure how he sorts his fire wood logs, usually he calls and let's me know if he has anything for me. I just hook the trailer up, run down the street and take however many loads out. If you're interested I can ask him is non-buddy price for fire logs.
Buddy, 😆
They cost extra.
Can't hurt to ask.
Pics are easy to get and access things.
Thanks

Buddy, 😆
They cost extra.
Can't hurt to ask.
Pics are easy to get and access things.
Thanks
I got a call back this morning from a guy who runs dumpsters that get filled with wood. 20ft cans and triaxle dump trucks. He is two towns over and can deliver large or smaller chunks. I'm going to look at some material nextweek at their yard. Now I need to find a yard near me that can take 20ft cans to have a wood lot. Stihl be chasing my own logs to the south it appears.

Back