Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood Nazi post: 5469725 said:
No kidding, that's a noodling machine!
Thank you I like it alot... here is a piece of Pine maybe 80' tall I think about 70% of it is in the photo, used the 555 and it did well, wish the dawgs had more bite into the bark but eh its good for the limbing!20150728_162844.jpg

MustangMike said:
So how does the 555 compare to the 620???
Honestly, the 555 hybrid is a good saw, but not as good, for me, as the 620. The 555 would make a better small limbing bucking saw as the 620 has way more pulling power, better handle, more aggressive dawgs, better at noodling/discharging saw dust and just stouter then the 555 if that makes sence. I did all the cutting/felling/bucking today with the 555, it is a great saw to have in the 'tool box' but the 620 is my go to.

Ran a tank through today, most of that on the ground from it, need to move more rounds before cutting more. Most of what is remaining is 70cc and up size, man, every big branch or two is like a regular tree... I figure a tank a day, as long as it isn't storming, I'll get er done without heat prostration. Bonus pic is the cheerleader squad hehehehe Hey @Philbert, which is oregons 3/8ths full semi chisel that doesn't have extra bumpers? I'm running LGX full chisel and it goes dull way too quick in this dead wood. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_20150729_191630(2).jpg
    IMG_20150729_191630(2).jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20150729_192059.jpg
    IMG_20150729_192059.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 70
Ran a tank through today, most of that on the ground from it, need to move more rounds before cutting more. Most of what is remaining is 70cc and up size, man, every big branch or two is like a regular tree... I figure a tank a day, as long as it isn't storming, I'll get er done without heat prostration. Bonus pic is the cheerleader squad hehehehe Hey @Philbert, which is oregons 3/8ths full semi chisel that doesn't have extra bumpers? I'm running LGX full chisel and it goes dull way too quick in this dead wood. TIA

Thats a man's tree right there.

Thats a man's tree right there.

The first day I cut on it, I wanted a manly man stunt double! hahahaha! I have *no* idea why the boss decided the hottest part of the year, plus my busiest with mowing, was a good time to get this tree dropped. Could be because he is around 99% air conditioned, just drives by, drops truck window honks or yells and issues dictates, then back to some other air condo experience. I'm just gonna putz at it in this heat, as long as I keep the road cleared, that's gonna be good enough for this guy. I have just plenty of other duties and projects during the spring summer and fall, winter is my slow time.

Zog,

In 0.050 looks like 72DP and 72AP (skip) - both have bumper drive links, but not not bumper tie straps.

Bailey's Woodland PRO 30 SC (Carlton) would not have any low kickback bumpers.
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...in-3-8-x-050/WoodlandPro-30SC-Chainsaw-Chain/

Philbert
Thanks, I'll order one of the oregon chains via local husky dealer. They are pretty good to me on prices and stuff, usually get a bit off shelf prices. I'll save the lgx for this winter cutting green trees.

Zog, dead Oak dulls a chain fast, no lubrication like you get from a green tree. Try some Stihl RS. May cost a bit more, but it will cut fast, and Stihl cutters are a little harder, so it will stay sharp a little longer. May find it is worth the extra $$.

I have one loop of that stihl chain for the 36 inch bar already.

Zog, dead Oak dulls a chain fast, no lubrication like you get from a green tree. Try some Stihl RS. May cost a bit more, but it will cut fast, and Stihl cutters are a little harder, so it will stay sharp a little longer. May find it is worth the extra $$.

Oh how I like stihl RS and RM chain. It seems to last forever with my usage and even with my sometimes heavy handed grinding technique after the occasional rock attacks my chain. I sharpened my first loop of oregon chain and then stihl and I could feel the difference with the file. The oregon seems a little softer and easier to push the file through versus the stihl. Just my observations but I like stihl chain especially when my dealer has the buy 2 get one free deal running every fall.

Latest posts

Back