Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrgghhh! All they did was get it on the ground, then they drove away. I thought we would all work to clear the road at least, nope, all on me, surprise surprise. No one tells me ^&^&^&* around here, it's always a surprise. I'm whipped already, not even close to having the road cleared. Gonna go get the tractor see if I can drag some branches out. And they had the big ass winch already set up. I got some pics, post tonight.

Arrgghhh! All they did was get it on the ground, then they drove away. I thought we would all work to clear the road at least, nope, all on me, surprise surprise. No one tells me ^&^&^&* around here, it's always a surprise. I'm whipped already, not even close to having the road cleared. Gonna go get the tractor see if I can drag some branches out. And they had the big ass winch already set up. I got some pics, post tonight.

Damn Zog,

You need to have a talk with the boss. That's messed up.

Hey ZOG
Wecome to my world, The Mushroom, kept in the dark and feed BS.
I usually get to the wood after the Jonnie HO saws crap out.
Time for "Big Joe", Dolmar 7900, 32"bar.
The fun ends when its on the ground, now the work begins.

We have a big black cat that look like yours, Solid black, not a white hair on her.
Miss Kitty is very gentle and vocal. Will not use the litter box, has to go outside and she lets you know when.

My Pine scrounge is down to two 36"x20' logs. told the HO I will roll them over to the the property line and get to them later. I have to get some hardwood ready for winter. All Pine just won't cut it.

I also have to build a 8x12 firewood shed to hold another three cord, Firewood goes fast durring a Polar Vortex.

If I don't do it, It don't get done.

Met SVK and his beautiful family up in the Albany area yesterday, did a full day of cutting at a kids camp before being interrupted by a T Storm.

We dropped a lot of trees and made a lot of chips! Did not count, but I think we dropped over 30 trees, and several of them exceeded the width of the 24" bar. Long ride though, 2 hrs each way, and I brought the ATV with me to help out.

Steve, enjoy the rest of your trip/vacation, and hope you enjoyed the encounter with square file chain! We gave all 4 of my saws a good workout.

Tomorrow I'll be up at my cabin with my friend Harold, he got an unexpected day off from a side job because materials are back ordered.

All right! worked to dull chains and absolutely staggering tired. I mean slap dripping dizzy. ha! Dang around...200 degrees with the heat humility index, felt like it anyway. About out of mix, too. Used the 346xp and 371xp today, got the road cleared, just cut and cut and cut and chunk the rounds to either side. Once I get to the main trunk I'll use the poulan 505 and my 3 foot bar, got three loops for that one..lotta cutters, 115.... Just went and bush hogged a space to dump rounds, near where they will go in to the all oak stacks area.Here are some pics, showing tree with a guy doing the face cut then you can see the wire rope going way back to the big truck and big winch. They were fast, got to give them credit. Zero PPE, but they got it down fast, that winch helped. One of garden goddess before I started cutting big branches, you can see the scale, this thing is huge...when the same guys first trimmed the branches, I got five cord..that big. Then an after action shot with the road cleared and yours truly about to keel over at the end,,hahahah!

Attachments

• IMG_20150725_081532.jpg
    IMG_20150725_081532.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20150725_081559.jpg
    IMG_20150725_081559.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20150725_081859.jpg
    IMG_20150725_081859.jpg
    838.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20150725_084832.jpg
    IMG_20150725_084832.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20150725_133713.jpg
    IMG_20150725_133713.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 99
All right! worked to dull chains and absolutely staggering tired. I mean slap dripping dizzy. ha! Dang around...200 degrees with the heat humility index, felt like it anyway. About out of mix, too. Used the 346xp and 371xp today, got the road cleared, just cut and cut and cut and chunk the rounds to either side. Once I get to the main trunk I'll use the poulan 505 and my 3 foot bar, got three loops for that one..lotta cutters, 115.... Just went and bush hogged a space to dump rounds, near where they will go in to the all oak stacks area.Here are some pics, showing tree with a guy doing the face cut then you can see the wire rope going way back to the big truck and big winch. They were fast, got to give them credit. Zero PPE, but they got it down fast, that winch helped. One of garden goddess before I started cutting big branches, you can see the scale, this thing is huge...when the same guys first trimmed the branches, I got five cord..that big. Then an after action shot with the road cleared and yours truly about to keel over at the end,,hahahah!
Jeez, what a tree!! Nice work Zoggs. Lots and lots of wood there.

Did a little "scrounging" today, not this years firewood, but the church was wanting this chinese chestnut and cedar taken down. My cousin was kind enough to lend a hand today, he worked his hiney off for the fun of it. Couldn't have done it without him. Me being the green firewood hack that I am, not the arborist/feller/stihlmaster I aspire to be, a 12k lb winch line was used with the Ford pulling, just in case ;). Contrary to that bottom picture, I did have and use my chaps, just in case there be any safety nuts among us :eek:.

Very happy with the days work, Now just to figure out how to get that cedar log milled up, it was 18" in diameter around chest high, I would like to make some projects out of the cedar. We'll see! Time for a steak! :barbecue:
112.jpg

113.jpg

111.jpg

115.jpg

Thats awesome! I love everything about those pics :picture:

Holy COW Zog!!!!!

That tree is massive!!!

That should keep you in wood for a while that's for sure....and busy.

Fricken bummer that they just dumped it and beat feet. That stinks.

Anyways....good score.

Did a little "scrounging" today, not this years firewood, but the church was wanting this chinese chestnut and cedar taken down. My cousin was kind enough to lend a hand today, he worked his hiney off for the fun of it. Couldn't have done it without him. Me being the green firewood hack that I am, not the arborist/feller/stihlmaster I aspire to be, a 12k lb winch line was used with the Ford pulling, just in case ;). Contrary to that bottom picture, I did have and use my chaps, just in case there be any safety nuts among us :eek:.

Very happy with the days work, Now just to figure out how to get that cedar log milled up, it was 18" in diameter around chest high, I would like to make some projects out of the cedar. We'll see! Time for a steak! :barbecue:
112.jpg

113.jpg

111.jpg

115.jpg

Awesome!!!!!

112.jpg

113.jpg

111.jpg

115.jpg

Pretty trees! The little cedar branches with the leaves maybe scatter around a doghouse area, helps with keeping fleas and ticks away..supposedly. Once dried completely bust them up for kindling, cedar is amazing stuff, one of my fav trees.

Big tree.

Philbert
Long time ago when it was intact, I laid something, forget now, up against the trunk, a known measure, then worked out with a distance shot how big. It started out at 95 foot tall, 110 foot spread, trunk is five foot or so DBH. Maybe I will count the rings and see if it has been around from the civil war or not.

Wow! Looks like everyone has had some good scrounging. I have been working on a chicken coop I scrounged. Not firewood but a free scrounge nonetheless. Got my husqvarna 570 back from the shop today and was uber excited. Noodled some rounds I had here for about 5 minutes and it was great.... Then rattle rattle clank. Quit.
I shake my head.

Zog, if you already stated and I missed it, my apologies, but is that a White Oak?

No, it was a red oak. After the tornado took a branch off another big oak here some big years back and smashed the house, the boss hasn't liked any big trees around structures. He hired those guys to trim it, but they took so much off it croaked.

Wow! Looks like everyone has had some good scrounging. I have been working on a chicken coop I scrounged. Not firewood but a free scrounge nonetheless. Got my husqvarna 570 back from the shop today and was uber excited. Noodled some rounds I had here for about 5 minutes and it was great.... Then rattle rattle clank. Quit.
I shake my head.

Oh man, sucks on the saw..cool beans on the coop!

Met SVK and his beautiful family up in the Albany area yesterday, did a full day of cutting at a kids camp before being interrupted by a T Storm.

We dropped a lot of trees and made a lot of chips! Did not count, but I think we dropped over 30 trees, and several of them exceeded the width of the 24" bar. Long ride though, 2 hrs each way, and I brought the ATV with me to help out.

Steve, enjoy the rest of your trip/vacation, and hope you enjoyed the encounter with square file chain! We gave all 4 of my saws a good workout.

Tomorrow I'll be up at my cabin with my friend Harold, he got an unexpected day off from a side job because materials are back ordered.
Until yesterday I had no need for a modded 70cc saw. Now I do. ;)

Again, many thanks for all of the help!

Latest posts

Back