Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the 36" bar, my 394 just didn't get used. For me, it just wrecked the versatility of the saw when it had the 32". If I was bucking 4' diameter tress all day, then I see the point and deal with it. But I use the 394 in situations from a 50cc limbing saw to bucking trees to burying the bar in 10 logs at once in the firewood pile.

I slapped a 28" I had lying around on one of the 7900's and used the heck outta that. In place of the 32" 394.

I went down to KY in May to visit my folks and my dad told me to bring a saw. I threw the 32" back on the 394 and raised hell in the holler. Even had one neighbor come over wondering what the noise was that was disrupting his television show.

He sat back on a stump and just shook his head. He said "Ben, I expected no less from you when your dad told me you were bringing a saw down."

Haha, that's what I'm talking about. The wow factor of a big saw is half the fun. I see your point exactly though, If I had to run just one saw, it would have to be a shorter bar setup for sure, but given a choice the 310 is usally close at hand with a 16" bar for limbing and whatnot. I was pleasantly surprised with the 24" bar on the 660 for limbing too though, dont have to bend over near as far with a longer bar, provided you can keep from cutting your leg off in the process. I'll be happy to never out just how well those chainsaw chaps work.

IMG_2016.jpg

Didn't scrounge any wood today, but I did pick up a couple wood related items. Bought a toolbox to haul the saws and whatall in at the local tractor supply. The guy that helped me carry it out said, "I see you got a chunk of wood here, you want some pallets?" I said I'd be happy to take a look at what he had, I wasn't too interested in all the cut up pallet wood, but I did score these two nice long pallets for stacking. May go back for some kindling wood though, if the occasion calls for it sooner or later.

IMG_2017.jpg
Gratuitous new toolbox pic :rock:

Took the wife and dogs for a hike up South Mt Beacon this morning. It is the highest Mtn between the Catskills and the ocean. It was my first time there since they restored and opened the Fire Tower.

The pictures do not do the views justice, I could see the NYC skyline, but not in the pics, sorry!

Attachments

• SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 002.jpg
    SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 002.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 003.jpg
    SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 003.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 006.jpg
    SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 006.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 009.jpg
    SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 009.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 012.jpg
    SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 012.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 017.jpg
    SoMtBeaconHike7-23-15 017.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
Haha, that's what I'm talking about. The wow factor of a big saw is half the fun. I see your point exactly though, If I had to run just one saw, it would have to be a shorter bar setup for sure, but given a choice the 310 is usally close at hand with a 16" bar for limbing and whatnot. I was pleasantly surprised with the 24" bar on the 660 for limbing too though, dont have to bend over near as far with a longer bar, provided you can keep from cutting your leg off in the process. I'll be happy to never out just how well those chainsaw chaps work.

In my experience....just mine....small saws scare the crap outta me.

My 510 with an 18" bar has tried to eat my a*s more than the others with the bigger bars.

Less mass on the end.

The big bars hit something and it is like "Fine.....I'll come up a bit."

Small bars.....Sh&t......"I am going to eat your ass. "

No way I could ever run a top handle. None. To me, the physics are waaaay all wrong and too conducive for a self maiming.

Took the wife and dogs for a hike up South Mt Beacon this morning. It is the highest Mtn between the Catskills and the ocean. It was my first time there since they restored and opened the Fire Tower.

The pictures do not do the views justice, I could see the NYC skyline, but not in the pics, sorry!

Awesome!!!!

You live in pretty New York.

Reminds me of the first time I went to a rodeo near Lake George and the air was sweet from the Pines.

It reminded me of Norther MN.

Looks like my kind of day mike, my wife and I just rode Cass Scenic Railroad on the 4th and you could see the Seneca fire tower in the distance. The next day when we got home it was on the front page of the paper, they just opened it up for renting overnight, sounds like fun to me!

In my experience....just mine....small saws scare the crap outta me.

My 510 with an 18" bar has tried to eat my a*s more than the others with the bigger bars.

Less mass on the end.

The big bars hit something and it is like "Fine.....I'll come up a bit."

Small bars.....Sh&t......"I am going to eat your ass. "

No way I could ever run a top handle. None. To me, the physics are waaaay all wrong and too conducive for a self maiming.

I always kind of assumed that a bigger saw would be more dangerous, but after running one awhile I definitely see your point. To me I think going back to the little saw I tend not to be quite as scared of it after running the big one. I'd lay money that 142 would be the most likely to get me hurt for that very reason.

Leave the 24" on your 660.

I would go bigger but if you like it....PFFT

That thing has to be like a laser through wood.

A 24"on my 7900's is ridiculous through wood.

I always kind of assumed that a bigger saw would be more dangerous, but after running one awhile I definitely see your point. To me I think going back to the little saw I tend not to be quite as scared of it after running the big one. I'd lay money that 142 would be the most likely to get me hurt for that very reason.

Upon further Booker's induced pontification.......

If I could have one saw out of my "fleet" of 4....lol....It would be @mweba 's 394.

There is nothing it can't do well.

The line for that thing is as long as the line for my Springfield TRP if I kick out unexpected.

My dad took some video of when I was bucking his trees up when I was there. If he sends it I'll post it up here.

Upon further Booker's induced pontification.......

If I could have one saw out of my "fleet" of 4....lol....It would be @mweba 's 394.

There is nothing it can't do well.

The line for that thing is as long as the line for my Springfield TRP if I kick out unexpected.

My dad took some video of when I was bucking his trees up when I was there. If he sends it I'll post it up here.

Cool, I'd be interested to see it. Yea the it pulls the 24 really well as you would imagine, it feels about right to me. I bought the 36 half out if novelty back in the spring, never had a use for it until this week. Glad I got it though!

Cool, I'd be interested to see it. Yea the it pulls the 24 really well as you would imagine, it feels about right to me. I bought the 36 half out if novelty back in the spring, never had a use for it until this week. Glad I got it though!

There will always be some point where a big bar comes in handy. Good on you for speculating.

Well, Dad sent the video. Not as impressive as it felt.....lol.

It was hot and I was shot. This woodtick does not like 90 degree temps and humidity.

ETA - looks like I'm having a little trouble getting that to work. I'll work on it.

Well lets try this.

A little Fiskars love too. Breaking in my Dad's new X27.

Man it was hot.

The boss's friend, the bucket truck guy,(notice I didn't say arborist..) is supposed to come over and fell that whopper oak in the front yard this weekened. He has no big saw! I think his largest is a 290..five foot diameter tree, he is going to get a homerenter stihl 390/391 and put a big bar on it. I did *not* volunteer nuthin on this job, but I'll have something big ready to rock just in case. I would have done it for free, but no one asked me. So, the dude making hundreds, whatever he is charging, can go get his own saw. I told him for stihl he should look at at least the 461 with at least a 32 inch bar..oh no, that's too expensive...OK fine..We'll see how he and his crew do on this. I sure will have plenty to cut up though once they are done, man, this tree has some serious mass to it. Ya, I'll take some pics.

Well, Dad sent the video. Not as impressive as it felt.....lol.

It was hot and I was shot. This woodtick does not like 90 degree temps and humidity.

ETA - looks like I'm having a little trouble getting that to work. I'll work on it.

Well lets try this.

A little Fiskars love too. Breaking in my Dad's new X27.

Man it was hot.

Nice! That 394 cut through that stuff like a hot knife through butter, that's what I'm talking bout!

I don't mind a little hand splitting now and then, but it's definitely a task better suited to cold weather, I'll use the handy speeco in the hot weather!

Bullvi22:
With four Pugs in the house, they must be a handfull.
Or more like a cross between a circus act and a chinese fire drill.
I'm down to one mini poodle and he's 16 yrs old. Hearing is gone and eye sight not much better.
I take him out every couple hours to relieve himself and do a couple laps around the yard.
Hits the water and food bowls and back for a nap. He's trim, not over weight, might get a couple more years.

Bullvi22:
With four Pugs in the house, they must be a handfull.
Or more like a cross between a circus act and a chinese fire drill.
I'm down to one mini poodle and he's 16 yrs old. Hearing is gone and eye sight not much better.
I take him out every couple hours to relieve himself and do a couple laps around the yard.
Hits the water and food bowls and back for a nap. He's trim, not over weight, might get a couple more years.

Haha, you have no idea. Sometimes I think it's their house, my wife and I just sleep there. As soon as I hit the couch, I have 2, 3 or all four on top of me licking and stomping and fighting. It's nonstop entertainment, that's for sure ☺️

Back