Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you doing Bob? Good to see your posts.

Yea, that is what it looked like all last winter! The good part is there seem to be a lot fewer deer ticks this year, and they are the ones with Lyme. Still see some of the larger dog ticks, but not many of them either, but I will take winter like that if it reduces deer tick #s.

I did some volunteer chainsaw work at my Fish & Game club yesterday. Our property borders a bike trail and a lot of blow downs on the fence. Also lowered a couple of stumps and took down a small dead Elm over hanging the parking lot.

You have to be extremely careful cutting logs off a fence, it can result in extreme kickback, and the wood and/or the fence often kick back at you. Also sometimes had to stand on a rock or log and reach over, got to be real careful when doing that.

Fortunately, all went well. I know you guys like pics, so here you go (not all of them, but enough).

Attachments

• PCFGA7-31-15 001.jpg
    PCFGA7-31-15 001.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
  • PCFGA7-31-15 003.jpg
    PCFGA7-31-15 003.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
  • PCFGA7-31-15 004.jpg
    PCFGA7-31-15 004.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 44
  • PCFGA7-31-15 006.jpg
    PCFGA7-31-15 006.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 38
  • PCFGA7-31-15 010.jpg
    PCFGA7-31-15 010.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 40
  • PCFGA7-31-15 011.jpg
    PCFGA7-31-15 011.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 40
  • PCFGA7-31-15 012.jpg
    PCFGA7-31-15 012.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 30
I did some volunteer chainsaw work at my Fish & Game club yesterday. Our property borders a bike trail and a lot of blow downs on the fence. Also lowered a couple of stumps and took down a small dead Elm over hanging the parking lot.

You have to be extremely careful cutting logs off a fence, it can result in extreme kickback, and the wood and/or the fence often kick back at you. Also sometimes had to stand on a rock or log and reach over, got to be real careful when doing that.

Fortunately, all went well. I know you guys like pics, so here you go (not all of them, but enough).
Your saws be like "I thought you said we were going to cut WOOD today??!!" I'm assuming the 362 saw most action?

Yes, I just brought the 2 saws with the 20" bars, because I can strap them down inside the ATV rack. All the wood removal along the fence was done with the 362 (because it is lighter), and the stock 044 was used to remove the two stumps and drop the Elm tree. The Red Maple stump was only about 18", so no problem, but the Ash stump was about 26", so I wished I had on of my 24" bars for that, but I got it done.

OK, I'll follow Dan's lead and post a pic of what's coming. Hey, it's August 1st; only 2 months or less and we'll be burning. Maybe a little longer down Zogger's way, but for most of us our next fire is closer than the last one was.

This is my woodshed from the back deck. Just a short walk.

POqicUz.jpg

I'm looking forward to it. Got beaucoups and plentys of BTUs stashed up. Don't know what happened, but this year the heat is kikin my buttinski hard. Normally if I just slow down and be sensible I can hack it, but this summer is just different. Still getting stuff done, but geez. The mowing is still nutso insane here, even with recent lack of rain. My own personal yard is still twice a week, and lost control of weeds in the garden. Oh well, been on a hoss tradin kik, might have some news by next week, see if my hardware scrounge abilities are still good.

Possible upcoming scrounge. Have a few details to workout still. It's in the middle of a school so it has to be brought out through the school. 100 ft Beech tree 32 dbh at 8ft. Has a twist to it though, may show up in pic.

Attachments

• 20150728_142520.jpg
    20150728_142520.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
  • 20150728_142740.jpg
    20150728_142740.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 20150728_142801.jpg
    20150728_142801.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 39
OK, for a whole week now I been looking at those upper limbs on the tree...it was getting to me, worse than riding the rodeo donkey..Was sharpening chains on the porch and becoming obsessed..kept glancing over...I HADZ TO DO IT! Climbed up that sucker as far as I could..note to guys thinking of become arborists, rubber farmer boots are NOT COOL to climb in..HAHAHAHAHA should have gone and dug my boat shoes out.

Attachments

• IMG_20150801_193706.jpg
    IMG_20150801_193706.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20150801_193728.jpg
    IMG_20150801_193728.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 56
OK, for a whole week now I been looking at those upper limbs on the tree...it was getting to me, worse than riding the rodeo donkey..Was sharpening chains on the porch and becoming obsessed..kept glancing over...I HADZ TO DO IT! Climbed up that sucker as far as I could..note to guys thinking of become arborists, rubber farmer boots are NOT COOL to climb in..HAHAHAHAHA should have gone and dug my boat shoes out.
Love the selfie!

I had a different type of scrounge tonight. A new tool store opened by me with factory reconditioned and factory blemished tools. Picked up a rigid roofing nailer, a ryobi router table and a random orbital sander for $165 out the door. I like tools. Almost picked up a ryobi backpack blower at $120 but I think I will go with vminnovations and get a husky.
thought of you when i saw this NA. it's over in you neck of the woods.
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/5151855898.html

since you all LOVE pics.................... the camp ground where i sell produce had their annual tractor show yesterday and when i closed up i had to go find out what the hideous whining was.

2015-08-0112.20.19.jpg 2015-08-0112.20.45.jpg 2015-08-0112.21.26.jpg the table was on a track and you slide the log into the blade. the guy gave me a dirty look when i told him he was cheating using half rotten sycamore.:rolleyes:

thought of you when i saw this NA. it's over in you neck of the woods.
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/5151855898.html
Nice find. Are the 036 saws 60cc?

On a side note the factory reconditioned outlet is going to cost me some $$ over time. Went back today to look to see what I missed. Well I ended up with the back pack blower for $119 it is more than I need and is a "certified preowned" which means it was a customer return from a big box. Anyway I don't have a ton of leaves but enough to use a blower. Picked up a router for the router table as well. The wife got some things as well. Overall a good day and a handy store since I like a good deal. Bonus is the get Milwaukee stuff around the holidays and I need some more cordless stuff.

[QUOTE="nomad_archer, post: 5476526, member: 115985"]Nice find. Are the 036 saws 60cc?

On a side note the factory reconditioned outlet is going to cost me some $$ over time. Went back today to look to see what I missed. Well I ended up with the back pack blower for $119 it is more than I need and is a "certified preowned" which means it was a customer return from a big box. Anyway I don't have a ton of leaves but enough to use a blower. Picked up a router for the router table as well. The wife got some things as well. Overall a good day and a handy store since I like a good deal. Bonus is the get Milwaukee stuff around the holidays and I need some more cordless stuff.[/QUOTE]
http://caseywise.com/?p=3790 here's specs on stihl saws. the 036 is rated at 61.5 cc.

Back