Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellas, you wouldn't believe the amount of oak and hickory trees this guy wants gone in the near, near future...just gone..I'd be a fool to pass it up. Like I said, I'm gonna drag my splitters over there, split and stack his little stuff he wants, split the rest as it comes, and haul, haul...right back to my backyard. I know it's sucks, but damnitt I gotta do it, Lol.

View attachment 439447 Sunset over the woodpile. I have been cutting just for the wood. I have enough for 3 years so I put an ad up for tree cutting. Got my first paying gig tomorrow after work.
Beautiful pic my man...nice cut yard with a wood pile, field behind, panning to the far tree line in the distance, with the clouds and sunshine to finish it off. That pic there's worth printing on a good color copier with the right photo paper, or taking to a place that can print it like it needs to be. That's framin material right there. Pics like that are few and far between...everything nice left/right, up/down. Nice pic.

Fellas, you wouldn't believe the amount of oak and hickory trees this guy wants gone in the near, near future...just gone..I'd be a fool to pass it up. Like I said, I'm gonna drag my splitters over there, split and stack his little stuff he wants, split the rest as it comes, and haul, haul...right back to my backyard. I know it's sucks, but damnitt I gotta do it, Lol.

Dang, that's amazing! Now don't go selling up to north georgia, you'll collapse the market! hahahaha finally starting to get good enough for firewood.

oh ya cows, everyone and their cuzzin leroy are gonna become billionaires with the recent good beef prices, all sorts of land clearing and increasing herd sizes going on all over the nation..uh huh, seen this before, another two years prices will be back down like they were before the drought out west. Takes about three-four years to build herd sizes back up, this is year two..gonna be a lot of guys in the hole for land leases/mortgages and buying new equipment on credit. This is very similar to that house flipping craze and bogus loans before 2008. I predicteth..

anyway, I think so far this year you win the best scrounge you suck award, happy splitting!

Maybe I'm a bit dense but what is the big deal repacking a bearing. It takes all of about 15 minutes including the time to jack it up and get the weight off the bearing. Yes, I am definitely old school but I have repacked many bearings for myself in my lifetime. As Mustang Mike said, it used be routine to repack the front on any typical car. I always did mine every 50,000 miles or so.

I remember my dad drilling out hubs and putting in zerks, always mumbling about how the tardo car companies had to make things hard..he also hand built a transistorized capacitive discharge ignition system (mounted in a coffee can) for his 59 nomad wagon so it would start easy at below zeeroo temps, and it worked.

Now Zog, I got a question for you. I have never heard/seen a 59 Nomad Wagon. I thought they were just 55-57. Now I remember my Dad had a 58 Chevy 2 door station wagon (Black & White), but it was not called a Nomad. I think it was called a Yukon. Never seen another one of them either.

You have any info on this stuff?

Now Zog, I got a question for you. I have never heard/seen a 59 Nomad Wagon. I thought they were just 55-57. Now I remember my Dad had a 58 Chevy 2 door station wagon (Black & White), but it was not called a Nomad. I think it was called a Yukon. Never seen another one of them either.

You have any info on this stuff?
all i could find Mike was a pic of Zog on a family outing. That's Zog in the back rockin out on his geetar.
images
:rock2: :dancing::rock2:

all i could find Mike was a pic of Zog on a family outing. That's Zog in the back rockin out on his geetar.
images
:rock2: :dancing::rock2:

That's about what it looked like, hahahaha. Maybe I am not remembering the year of it correctly.. All I remember of it was those big fins. I think, hmm, 283 in it, not sure which auto tranny.

My wife and I are just finishing up planning for our 5 year wedding anniversary in the NY finger lakes. Should be fun we are going to check out watkins glen, try some wine, ride our bikes, and she wants to rent a boat and go fishing. That's right she wants to go fishing. Maybe I can convince her that we need a boat. Or this could go south on me and she will never want a boat. It will be her first time fishing, hopefully the fish are biting.

That sounds great Nomad, my wife and I went to the Glenn several years back, a beautiful area. Back then, many wineries charged for tasting, others did not. Seemed to depend on what side of the lake you were on.

Enjoy your trip, the bike riding, and best of luck with the fishing. FYI, the Finger Lakes are very deep, I believe some go over 600'. You may also want to check out the track, even if nothing is going on at the time. And I think there were some nice Falls to see toward Ithica.

My wife and I are just finishing up planning for our 5 year wedding anniversary in the NY finger lakes. Should be fun we are going to check out watkins glen, try some wine, ride our bikes, and she wants to rent a boat and go fishing. That's right she wants to go fishing. Maybe I can convince her that we need a boat. Or this could go south on me and she will never want a boat. It will be her first time fishing, hopefully the fish are biting.
@nomad_archer If the fish aren't biting you will have to explain to your wife that is why it is calling fishing and not catching:)

You won the firewood lottery. I'm really glad for you. I don't know your situation but that is way more than you can burn so it is decision time. If you don't have a huge shed it will rot before you can burn it so maybe sell the surplus and built a nice shed, buy those eye candy saws, or both. Life is a b!tch sometimes. LOL

about a year ago i had given my card to some guys to give to a landowner that had some dead trees on her property. she had called and left a message. my wife deleted the message by accident. finally saw the lady out trimming some flowers along the road this morning. did a u turn and talked to her.said she was getting ready to call me again...... and why yes you can have all that dead standing locust and hickory and oak. :happy: :dancing: :happybanana: :happy: have to wait till the soybeans are cut this fall so i can drop the trees in the fields.

about a year ago i had given my card to some guys to give to a landowner that had some dead trees on her property. she had called and left a message. my wife deleted the message by accident. finally saw the lady out trimming some flowers along the road this morning. did a u turn and talked to her.said she was getting ready to call me again...... and why yes you can have all that dead standing locust and hickory and oak. :happy: :dancing: :happybanana: :happy: have to wait till the soybeans are cut this fall so i can drop the trees in the fields.

Awesome. Need an extra hand?

@nomad_archer If the fish aren't biting you will have to explain to your wife that is why it is calling fishing and not catching:)

My wife has been hunting a few times and has been unsuccessful so far so she understands how hunting/fishing works. I am looking into a charter service to help maximize the opportunity since I don't know the lake, the lake is crazy deep and I don't have the proper equipment to get bait way down there.

Back