Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a moisture meter update- checked some interior wood yesterday. Mantel directly above fireplace and stove in my 30 year old house read around 6-8%. Door trim in the same room was 8-10% as was trim elsewhere in the house. So even if the meter is reading slightly off, I think it is reading 1-2% high, which would put my oak well into the safe sub-15% range.

And as stated above- its not like I'm not going to burn wood that's greater than 15%; but it is nice to know that the wood is the reason the fire isn't burning great rather than some other problem with the stove or the chimney/flue.
My inside firewood usually runs around 6-8%
Outside is always around %15 after seasoning/drying

I've got a Poulan Pro 42cc saw that served me ok for a few years, but when I got wanting to cut more and larger wood for my woodstove, I found it wasn't up to the task and would keep bogging out under heavier load so I saved up for a pro saw.
New saw was about twice as much cash as a new Poulan, but has a 55cc engine and an 18" bar/chain and plenty of power to cut most of what I need cut. It is a StihlMS291, but my next will be a Stihl MS441 ($1120 CAD) or Ms461 ($1240 CAD) to cut larger sized trees. (New Poulan 42cc goes for around $325 CAD and the Stihl MS291 50cc was about $525 CAD)
I still use the Poulan for now, but will probably sell it when time comes to buy the bigger saw.

The MS291 is a fine saw but it is a farm/ranch saw not a pro saw. The Stihl pro saw for the 50cc class is the MS261. There isnt a thing wrong with the MS 291, I have the other 50cc farm ranch saw the MS 271 and it is a great saw but it is in no way shape or form a pro saw. Keep the 18" bar on that saw and it will serve you well for a long long time. The next saws you have on your radar are excellent. I would like to have either or both of them.

Congrats on the new saw. I hope it gives you years and years of service. Wait, its a stihl, Im sure it will.

Happy Birthday 5068.

Don't forget to consider the saws on this trading site. You can trust the quality a lot more, and some have been rebuilt.

IMO, a lot of deals out there that have not sold, both ported and unported.

If you do not know how to assess a saw like checking the piston, checking compression, etc at the time of purchase then buying from the trading post here is a pretty safe bet. You can get some good deals and will pay a fair price here. The price + shipping cost have always talked me out of buying here as I figured I could do better locally. If I was shopping for a ported saw, this is the only place I would pick one up from one of the reputable builders here.

To bad you arent my neighbor, would have surely invited you out to play with your saw haha. Actually, a friend of mine passed up on helping cut the big rounds entirely, i offered him some of the rounds too, but guess he didnt wanna deal with anything above 20.

I do really want to get another saw. Ive been looking at a Poulan 20inch 50cc with AV (not sure how good of av) cause the price is sooooo right (around 200) And i dont mind tuning it up if need be. The Poulan i have is only 38cc and surely not meant for big trees. Its just all i have at the moment And that tree needed taken care of. I had an old school Poulan Countervibe 3400 that was my dads, but it finally quit on me entirely. I miss it although it was pretty heavy.

I just put in on a raffle at a family members benift for an ms271 over the weekend actually, although didnt win it lol. Good cause though.

Im looking to maybe pick another saw up early next year though. Id look sooner but most of what i have left to cut is relatively small. Any recommendations for the 200 to 300 dollar range? Im ok with the used market...or should i be saving up more?

The 50-20 Poulans have a cult following here. I have used one heavily for the past 7-8 months and love it. I can't afford a German saw just yet and I have owned lots of smaller Poulans. I've made some light modifications to it and cannot be happier with the $180 spent.

I've got to echo Mike's thoughts about getting more saw for your buck from the trading post. Guys like @mesupra always seem to have something of quality for sale.

No offense to the Poulan crowd but you can get a 450 Husky for around $200 used or new for $260 from time to time on the trading post that is twice the saw of a 5020.

Taking the rest of the week off to spend in the woods. I changed jobs in August and have been running nonstop. Need to get deer stands ready, cut wood, and work on the hunting cabin.

This afternoon I'll be shredding some aspen with my new square file chain on the 2186 and watching my nephew's playoff fb game tonight. More wood tomorrow, install metal roof on the cabin Thursday, deer stand building Friday, and more wood Saturday.

Hey Guys:
Stihl isn't the only quality German saw, There's Dolmar/Makita, which I happen to like more than Stihl.
You don't know what your talking about? I have a half dozen Stihls but never use them. I prefer my Dolkitas.
I'll use the Huskys before I grab a Stihl. They are hard for me to start and the controls are backward.
I'm not saw poor, got six in the 30-40cc range, five in the 50cc, three in the 55-65cc and Big Joe, Dolmar 79cc.
My go to saws are the 32cc Tanaka, the Husky 455, two Makita 6400 and Big Joe if needed.
I just tingle all over when I run the Mac 10-10' s, so I very seldom do, getting too old to run those heavy beasts.
If I was to get another saw, I think I would contact Nate and get a Makita 6400 with the heated handles, not likely.
Or maybe a big 15 amp electric, no pull cord, no gas to mix and I have a portable gennie.
The Home Cheapo Mikita 6421 turned out to be a great saw after I got rid of the cat and got the potting out of the carb adjust screws. The cat was melting the plastic.
A big double ATTA BOY to Clint for starting this thread, 10,000 and I've read every one and met a lot of great people.
Just happy to find out I'm not the only screwball on the planet. There's lots of us and they're everywere.

Hey Guys:
Stihl isn't the only quality German saw, There's Dolmar/Makita, which I happen to like more than Stihl.
You don't know what your talking about? I have a half dozen Stihls but never use them. I prefer my Dolkitas.
I'll use the Huskys before I grab a Stihl. They are hard for me to start and the controls are backward.
I'm not saw poor, got six in the 30-40cc range, five in the 50cc, three in the 55-65cc and Big Joe, Dolmar 79cc.
My go to saws are the 32cc Tanaka, the Husky 455, two Makita 6400 and Big Joe if needed.
I just tingle all over when I run the Mac 10-10' s, so I very seldom do, getting too old to run those heavy beasts.
If I was to get another saw, I think I would contact Nate and get a Makita 6400 with the heated handles, not likely.
Or maybe a big 15 amp electric, no pull cord, no gas to mix and I have a portable gennie.
The Home Cheapo Mikita 6421 turned out to be a great saw after I got rid of the cat and got the potting out of the carb adjust screws. The cat was melting the plastic.
A big double ATTA BOY to Clint for starting this thread, 10,000 and I've read every one and met a lot of great people.
Just happy to find out I'm not the only screwball on the planet. There's lots of us and they're everywere.

It's funny how different everyone's experiences are. I have a buddy who is a logger and hates husqvarna and asked if I had the box for my 562xp that I should take it back. He is diehard Stihl. I guess it's like the Dodge,Chevy, Ford arguments. As long as a saw cuts and starts decent for me I'm not too picky at this point.

To bad you arent my neighbor, would have surely invited you out to play with your saw haha. Actually, a friend of mine passed up on helping cut the big rounds entirely, i offered him some of the rounds too, but guess he didnt wanna deal with anything above 20.

I do really want to get another saw. Ive been looking at a Poulan 20inch 50cc with AV (not sure how good of av) cause the price is sooooo right (around 200) And i dont mind tuning it up if need be. The Poulan i have is only 38cc and surely not meant for big trees. Its just all i have at the moment And that tree needed taken care of. I had an old school Poulan Countervibe 3400 that was my dads, but it finally quit on me entirely. I miss it although it was pretty heavy.

I just put in on a raffle at a family members benift for an ms271 over the weekend actually, although didnt win it lol. Good cause though.

Im looking to maybe pick another saw up early next year though. Id look sooner but most of what i have left to cut is relatively small. Any recommendations for the 200 to 300 dollar range? Im ok with the used market...or should i be saving up more?

I've heard a lot of good things about the Poulan 50cc saw. VM innovations has refurbished 5020AVs refurbished for $128 from time to time. If you have a Home Depot rental department near you call them and ask if they're selling their Makita 6421 saws. They usually sell for about $265 near me. I have no complaints so far with mine although I would like to upgrade the filter thingy. They sell a big bore kit for about $128 for the Makitas that will make it a 84cc saw I believe.

Hey Guys:

Yes, Makita FTW! What do you like about the Tanaka? I want something small and light for limbing/smaller branches.

It's funny how different everyone's experiences are. I have a buddy who is a logger and hates husqvarna and asked if I had the box for my 562xp that I should take it back. He is diehard Stihl. I guess it's like the Dodge,Chevy, Ford arguments. As long as a saw cuts and starts decent for me I'm not too picky at this point.
If someone has an open mind (many don't) it's a toss up and will vary by cc class.

For me here's what I would choose. Others can disagree and that's fine.

Small saw: Stihl 211
50 cc: 550 or 346. Nothing else is even close
60 cc: 562 over 362 (full disclosure I haven't run a dolmar)
70 cc: 044 over 372

Hey Reid
Sorry too late on the Tanaka. Bailey's was selling them. got them on close out, the factory was moved to china and Bailey's got the last jap made ones. when the price droped to 150 post paid, I had to pull the trigger, so happy I did.
A well made saw, 3/8 lp, 52dl on a 14" Oregon bar, total weight is 10# , only 32cc but cuts like a bigger saw.
Well almost, can't beat cc's, only in the big wood do you wish you had a bigger saw.

If someone has an open mind (many don't) it's a toss up and will vary by cc class.

For me here's what I would choose. Others can disagree and that's fine.

Small saw: Stihl 211
50 cc: 550 or 346. Nothing else is even close
60 cc: 562 over 362 (full disclosure I haven't run a dolmar)
70 cc: 044 over 372

The 372 cult following will not like that.

Made some rounds this afternoon. The square file really cuts nice. And the 2186 is such a smooth running saw. Most of these trees were taken down by bucket truck (did I mention I dislike cutting short, odd length logs) but a few were full length. I touched two rocks ever so slightly but no damage to the chain luckily.

New 20" bar ($22 on clearance from Baileys)
image.jpg

Before
image.jpg

After
image.jpg

Before
image.jpg

After
image.jpg

Hey Reid
Sorry too late on the Tanaka. Bailey's was selling them. got them on close out, the factory was moved to china and Bailey's got the last jap made ones. when the price droped to 150 post paid, I had to pull the trigger, so happy I did.
A well made saw, 3/8 lp, 52dl on a 14" Oregon bar, total weight is 10# , only 32cc but cuts like a bigger saw.
Well almost, can't beat cc's, only in the big wood do you wish you had a bigger saw.

Can't believe I'm saying this (I'm half Japanese), how can you tell the difference between the Jap made and Chinese made? There's a Tanaka for sale near me on CL.

Got another load today.

Attachments

• IMG.jpeg
    IMG.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Hello all! I've been lurking for awhile and read this entire thread. It's been a great help in making some choices. We just put in a wood stove at the end of winter this year after having huge power bills for an old home.

stove.jpg

That looks like a Pacific Energy stove - is it a Super 27?
Awesome setup with the tractor to load your wood onto porch!
Sold my old fire breathing dragon and got my PE Summit some years back - it's been on at night for couple weeks now this Fall. LOVE IT!

Happy B'day 5068 !!!
Nice vanload Reid !!

So as with wood I've scrounged a saw or two over the years , I've bought a clean 2171wh for $67.45 because it wouldn't oil the bar , a running 266 and 2100 that was a package deal for 125$ not a penny more , 3 026's at 50$ each , 2 dead 026's for free , a MS 017 for free , a MS230 for 25$ and a 394 with a bad p/c for 60$ because it had a new 33" chain on the next to new bar , an 066 with 4 bars and an 036 pro for 450$ and an 034super that still had the machine marks on the p/c for 125$ because it was too heavy LOL , a next to new ms361 for 125$ because they liked their Huskey better , a couple of poulans for free that I gave away , a J'red 630 that was free , I have more saws LOL
There are deals out there , just wait and be patient , just like letting people know you're looking for wood , let the right ones know you're looking for saws .
I like my cordless Makita circ saw , I bought 2 cordless drill and impact driver combos and the circ saw for 70% off at a store close out , Circ saw is perfect for pallet wood scrounging , I bought a HD rental Makita electric chainsaw at 100$ which is perfect for at home in the driveway , no noise to bother the neighbours .
If I'm out in the woods I'll bring my smaller saws , my MS241 or the warmed over 026's because they're well suited for the area and what I'm scrounging , when I'm blocking firewood that I have in a pile before me with the odd stick of wood up to 18" I'll run 60cc but if I want to have fun and not worried about running a saw all day the 70cc to 100cc for smiles and giggles :)
There's the odd big tree up here but most are long gone I can run 50cc all day , take down 32" if I have to and come back the next day for more :)
Best thread on as and has the best company so thanks to Clint for starting it !!
Thanks to all the contributors for bringing the insight, great pics , accepting that everybody can have a different take on things and nobody is righter than the next guy :)
Stihl is a better saw and mini vans rule
p0804.gif

Latest posts

Back