Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention before: I split a .22 round out of some of that wood this morning. I used to target practice where these trees were cut so no surprise.

image.jpg

This afternoon I started the roofing project at my hunting cabin.
image.jpg
The cap came wrapped on a nice long pallet. Perfect for stacking wood. But I needed to reinforce some roof beams so I salvaged the long pieces. The short pieces became heat.
image.jpg

Scrounged a blown over dead cottonwood tonight just across the road in ditch by neighbors CRP. been standing dead for a few years, finally blew over from 50+ MPH wind Monday. Got a FULL 7' skidloader bucket of rounds and a half pickup of mixed. It was getting a bit punky, but will burn early season just fine. Figured an hours worth of cutting was worth it, and got rid of it for neighbor.

lol. Well the wheel barrow is from my father in-law. I had to buy a new tube for it recently. I wanted to test out the tube by putting my spaz Am Staff in it but of course he freaked out, kicked the wheel barrow, and the handle broke off when it hit the ground. A wheel barrow handle is close to 1/3rd the price of a new one so I don't feel like buying a replacement. Plus I was debating whether to go with one of those two wheel barrows, another single wheel, or a Gorilla cart.

It's not easy lol. In the bumpy stuff, I grip the broken shaft and the other handle. On smooth ground I grip the handle and the lip of the metal barrow. Gripping the broken shaft moves me closer to the metal bottom frame and I have multiple abrasions/bruises on my shin from it. Stupid hurts.

Couple bolts and a 2x4 and you have a new handle LOL I wouldn't have the patience to deal with that.

Couple bolts and a 2x4 and you have a new handle LOL I wouldn't have the patience to deal with that.

Yeah I was going to bolt on a metal brace to the handle but I really don't want to spend more time and money on this rickety thing. There is plastic panels that attach the metal barrow to the metal frame. The plastic bends and sways with the barrow fully loaded. Anyway, enough about my broken wheel barrow lol. I'll have to show you guys a pic of my ghetto barrow soon. I'm off to split and stack my next cord.

Ten thousand posts in 1 1/2 years is pretty good. I had no idea there was that many fellahs into wood scrounging! Keep up the good work, you're a great bunch of guys! To all the newcomers, ask all the questions you want, I don't think anyone will bite your head off here, everyone is very civil on this thread. Sometimes we even discuss scrounging wood!!!!!:D;)

Gorilla cart all the way...got the 1,200 lb capacity cart. Spent around $120 IIRC. The 13" pneum tires are nice. Articulating dump bed is nice, has stake bed pockets too. Bought the better replacement wheel bearings on Amazon for a few bucks, pressed the originals out and installed the new ones. Use the Gorilla cart ten times more than a 6 cu ft steel handled wheelbarrow with flat free tire. We had discussed this in this thread I think one time in the past...it's in here somewhere. Good luck with whatcha get.

Gorilla cart all the way...got the 1,200 lb capacity cart. Spent around $120 IIRC. The 13" pneum tires are nice. Articulating dump bed is nice, has stake bed pockets too. Bought the better replacement wheel bearings on Amazon for a few bucks, pressed the originals out and installed the new ones. Use the Gorilla cart ten times more than a 6 cu ft steel handled wheelbarrow with flat free tire. We had discussed this in this thread I think one time in the past...it's in here somewhere. Good luck with whatcha get.

Yep we did I think. Just not sure the cart will be able to maneuver through my wood scrounging spots.

This pile of oak put me over my 23rd cord for the year. I'll have to check my notes from earlier in the year but I think that that makes about 18 cords hand split.

Also I did split back to back with Fiskars X27 versus Husky S2800 and will post my thoughts in the dedicated threat. Guys, you may want to look at getting the orange one. ;)

image.jpg

You mean face cord? 23 cord, prove it! haha j/k, where would one even store that much wood? That would be just over 3 years supply for me (if full cord lol).

Real cords Mr Smarty pants lol.

I've only got about 6 cords on hand total including what is sitting in the woods waiting for an ATV ride home.

Friends and children's camp have the rest. Lots of aspen for fire pit use this year.

Yeah I was going to bolt on a metal brace to the handle but I really don't want to spend more time and money on this rickety thing. There is plastic panels that attach the metal barrow to the metal frame. The plastic bends and sways with the barrow fully loaded. Anyway, enough about my broken wheel barrow lol. I'll have to show you guys a pic of my ghetto barrow soon. I'm off to split and stack my next cord.

Coupla Bonus pics for Ambull. Here's what mid to south georgia looks like from the main road..they grow white fluffy things, miles and miles of them.IMG_20151014_155847.jpg The other side of the white fluffy fields is swamp, pine trees, moss and hogs about half the size of an old VW beetle..next pic is your new scrounge buggy, start saving the extra from your new job!IMG_20151014_184232.jpg

Back