Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ambull01

Ambull01

Addicted to ArboristSite
No. Most of it goes somewhere else. If I burned full time I'd go through 12 cords softwood or 7 of hardwood not counting fire pits.

I think I was asking Marshy. Do you give away wood every year? I was thinking about giving firewood to the dude that's letting me borrow the splitter but now I'm not sure. This firewood business is hard work to just give away.

Fellas, we like that hawg huntin here in Ga. They run rampant, open season all year round, and we slaughter their arses. Zoggs if you were on I-75 through mid Ga, at the Warner Robins exit, you were within 6 miles or so of my house. Here's one I busted a few years ago that was worth mounting. 400+ on the hoof and meaner than four hells. If any of you guys are through mid Ga, and can stay a day or two, wknd, let's get it on...hog heaven.

930717730c0014aff30859c7498e7d2c.jpg

0d8e3167f19a033a282ea485fd675862.jpg

653411c999d8d5011061ff9896896de8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

That's a wicked looking beast. You ever see the show about the spread of wild hogs? I think it was called "Hog Bomb" or something like that. Says they are spreading like crazy. No real natural predators, destroys habitats, etc.

nomad_archer

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Fellas, we like that hawg huntin here in Ga. They run rampant, open season all year round, and we slaughter their arses. Zoggs if you were on I-75 through mid Ga, at the Warner Robins exit, you were within 6 miles or so of my house. Here's one I busted a few years ago that was worth mounting. 400+ on the hoof and meaner than four hells. If any of you guys are through mid Ga, and can stay a day or two, wknd, let's get it on...hog heaven.

I feel like I need to make a trip now. I always wanted to go hog hunting

USMC615

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
I feel like I need to make a trip now. I always wanted to go hog hunting
It's a free for all at times, when a dozen or two show up in a field or in a hardwood bottom looking for acorns. Concentrate on the 100lb'ers and smaller...usually don't have a clue as to what direction the first shot came from, they'll scatter in every direction, by that time the cross hairs are on victims number two, then three. Head shots, drop 'em where they stand. No since in ruining good meat. ;)

Edit...I guess we could term this 'scrounging porkers'...:D

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak

Whopper! I've only been in the woods down there a couple times, first time I had two shots but no goldilocks, about a 15 lber then one I guess at 600, so I didn't take either shot. Second time I got sooooo freaking stuck in the mud took me two weeks and finally a local with a serious monster truck got me out. I have heard of some hogs up here in north georgia but nothing like what ya'all got.

USMC615

USMC615

We have them in southern MO, but they haven't migrated up as far as I am yet. I hear Arkansas is crawling with them.
It won't be long Steve, they'll get there. They have overrun the SE and several places in the SW. Tx is eat up with 'em. They probably do millions of dollars in crop damage collectively. Farmers worst nightmare here and I'm sure in many other places as well...100x the damage deer do, especially in corn, peanuts, soybeans.

USMC615

USMC615

To put the hog problem in Ga in perspective as it relates to being open year round and just how many there are...each hunter in Ga can shoot 12 deer a season, 75% of the state is either-sex days from the beginning of archery season mid Sept, through muzzleloading season in mid Oct. Tomorrow cranks up rifle/shotgun season here. Season doesn't end until Jan 10, 2016. We've got a pretty overgrown deer population as well...to say the least. And the hogs outnumber the deer 50-1 it seems. To say freezers get full in Ga would be an understatement. :sweet:

crazywolf

crazywolf

ArboristSite Member
I've seen the pics of everyone's kids helping. At what age did you let them run the saw? I was thinking about it because my 4yo was helping me split kindling with my x7 and he kept asking to run the saw which of course is not happening for awhile. He does help me run the FEL and of course stacking the wood.

kingOFgEEEks

kingOFgEEEks

Out, standing in my field.
To put the hog problem in Ga in perspective as it relates to being open year round and just how many there are...each hunter in Ga can shoot 12 deer a season, 75% of the state is either-sex days from the beginning of archery season mid Sept, through muzzleloading season in mid Oct. Tomorrow cranks up rifle/shotgun season here. Season doesn't end until Jan 10, 2016. We've got a pretty overgrown deer population as well...to say the least. And the hogs outnumber the deer 50-1 it seems. To say freezers get full in Ga would be an understatement. :sweet:

There has to be an efficient way to convert all of that meat on the hoof to food for people that need it. I'm thinking a program like Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry, but on an even larger scale. Talk about solving two problems at once.

USMC615

USMC615

There has to be an efficient way to convert all of that meat on the hoof to food for people that need it. I'm thinking a program like Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry, but on an even larger scale. Talk about solving two problems at once.
There are several deer/hog donation programs here. Several deer processors and hog processors donate meat that's not picked up. Lots of folks donate the hogs especially. I've certainly donated my share of hogs, lol. My two freezers can't hold but so much, and mine get overloaded with venison quick, much less chops, tenderloins, sausage from the hogs. Quite a bit goes to the homeless shelters, volunteer kitchens that cook for the homeless, etc. I think folks nowadays are a lot more responsible, especially considering the wild hogs, to get them to a processor even if they don't want any of the meat. Years past, I've seen a many a hunter drop hogs dead in their tracks, and leave'em where they lay for the buzzards, coyotes, coons, etc. Plenty of processors that'll take 'em, ain't even gotta gut them...just get'em to them and they'll process and distribute the meat accordingly. Too many hungry folks that'll appreciate the meat and a meal.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
I've seen the pics of everyone's kids helping. At what age did you let them run the saw? I was thinking about it because my 4yo was helping me split kindling with my x7 and he kept asking to run the saw which of course is not happening for awhile. He does help me run the FEL and of course stacking the wood.

A small bowsaw and a bucking frame would work. I cut tons of wood by hand back in the day.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
There are several deer/hog donation programs here. Several deer processors and hog processors donate meat that's not picked up. Lots of folks donate the hogs especially. I've certainly donated my share of hogs, lol. My two freezers can't hold but so much, and mine get overloaded with venison quick, much less chops, tenderloins, sausage from the hogs. Quite a bit goes to the homeless shelters, volunteer kitchens that cook for the homeless, etc. I think folks nowadays are a lot more responsible, especially considering the wild hogs, to get them to a processor even if they don't want any of the meat. Years past, I've seen a many a hunter drop hogs dead in their tracks, and leave'em where they lay for the buzzards, coyotes, coons, etc. Plenty of processors that'll take 'em, ain't even gotta gut them...just get'em to them and they'll process and distribute the meat accordingly. Too many hungry folks that'll appreciate the meat and a meal.

Same here, got two chest freezers always full with beef chicken and garden produce. I'd have to buy and figure out where to stick another chest freezer if I was to go hog hunting. Not that that is a big problem ;) I need better front wheels that will balance to take the zogger bogger on 75 though...At around 40 it gets squirrely real bad..

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
OK, snuck in some more yard scrounge before I go and do some more mowing . Knocked off a huge branch nubbie, then got to carve a round out, rough, but did it from sorta almost hitting from both sides, then some sledge and wedge action standing up on top (where it is safer, ha!). Two tanks to get these pieces down. Them rings gotta be getting closer to broke in, I'll retune soon. There was no way to cut that off without removing that big nubbie first, it was between six and seven feet wide at that place. I barely got the nubbie off, cutting from three sides.

Attachments

• IMG_20151016_131155.jpg
    IMG_20151016_131155.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20151016_131325.jpg
    IMG_20151016_131325.jpg
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts