Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a damn good saw scrounge chipper!
Thanks VT.
It was all from your side of the state as well;).
East of bay city and Ypsilanti.
I was thinking of you:yes:.
I did have to pay a bit more for the 460 than I wanted, but the 359 makes up for it. It all comes out in the wash as they say.
I cut up a 1/2 cord of logs into rounds with the 460 and the 20" and it rips just like all the 460's I've had, great saws for getting the job done.
But the 441c-m is way smoother and I've been told the 576 is smoother yet:baba:.

No scrounging for a while here. Cleaned up around sprinkler heads with my new Fiskars as they were getting jammed with grass and soil:

image.jpeg

Then I declared war on the ants in my yard. Little purple buggers the size of fire ants but fortunately don't bite. But they do put up their little soil mounds everywhere so gave them some Sevin dust.

Thanks VT.
It was all from your side of the state as well;).
East of bay city and Ypsilanti.
I was thinking of you:yes:.
I did have to pay a bit more for the 460 than I wanted, but the 359 makes up for it. It all comes out in the wash as they say.
I cut up a 1/2 cord of logs into rounds with the 460 and the 20" and it rips just like all the 460's I've had, great saws for getting the job done.
But the 441c-m is way smoother and I've been told the 576 is smoother yet:baba:.
Yeah those 460s are a great saw good for even felling. Ill have to get back on the scrounge here too.. Do you just drive around looking for the construction sites and what not or is craigslist and arborist your main go to.

Yeah those 460s are a great saw good for even felling. Ill have to get back on the scrounge here too.. Do you just drive around looking for the construction sites and what not or is craigslist and arborist your main go to.
I network for the wood. But if I see something I want when driving I stop wether it's wood or anything else.
My wife needed me to get here some cookies for the school she teaches at. I didn't have any white oak and saw some at a guys house a while ago remembered and asked, bingo scored a nice pile of them. She has been wanting more and I saw some nice ones on the side of the road, tonight we stopped there and I let her ask so she could get a feel for how it's done. Well in the next couple days I will be cutting the cookies out of that wood. The great thing is there is a trailer load that will be left afterwards that will be coming home with me:).
Most of my scrounges are word of mouth or just asking people, although I have gotten wood off craigslist also. The coolest one was when it was a neighbor 3 houses down I didn't know:clap:. I try to not go far off the rd to get anything and I also have a couple tree guys I get wood from and they normally load it for me as well which I like a lot:yes:.

Nice pics, glad you got the camera fixed, what would we do without our cameras/phone in my instance:).
Looks like you need to stop by and get a new caliper at the grocery store BL:D.

The end of the scrounge, hate getting to that part, the build up, the suspense, the plot oh who cares about the plot, show me the wood:chainsaw:.
Just another 15 of those wheel barrels and you'll have a full cord.
Maybe we can have a new cord, the south texan cord, it will be 1/16th of a cord:clap:.

>Maybe we can have a new cord, the south texan cord, it will be 1/16th of a cord

yeah, now there is an idea! but... the way I see it chippster... you are making mUsIc... :guitar: but unfortuneately... your harmony is in full dis~ cord! certainly more than 1/16th's worth...

:laughing:

as I remember, the thread is about 'show us your scrounge', not your chord, or wannaB chord!

chippster? Y N ?

I network for the wood. But if I see something I want when driving I stop wether it's wood or anything else.
My wife needed me to get here some cookies for the school she teaches at. I didn't have any white oak and saw some at a guys house a while ago remembered and asked, bingo scored a nice pile of them. She has been wanting more and I saw some nice ones on the side of the road, tonight we stopped there and I let her ask so she could get a feel for how it's done. Well in the next couple days I will be cutting the cookies out of that wood. The great thing is there is a trailer load that will be left afterwards that will be coming home with me:).
Most of my scrounges are word of mouth or just asking people, although I have gotten wood off craigslist also. The coolest one was when it was a neighbor 3 houses down I didn't know:clap:. I try to not go far off the rd to get anything and I also have a couple tree guys I get wood from and they normally load it for me as well which I like a lot:yes:.
I'll have to start doing that here I'll start calling around to some arborists and be on the look out for wood around here.

That burl tree from multiple photos stitched together.
Burl, two logs, oodles of firewood.
Estimating about 80 cords of split wood from this gulley by the time the job is finally done.
If only I could afford a bigger splitter...
View attachment 504964

KB - you did a good job stiching the pix together... that is some kinda tall tree... well, err... was. omg!

KB - you did a good job stiching the pix together... that is some kinda tall tree... well, err... was. omg!
tks. There are bigger ones in this gulley that I won't get around to dropping until next Summer. Hopefully I would have saved up for a bigger saw and bar by then.
If anyone knows of any great deals going on a big saw, I'm all ears and can arrange the freight to NZ. Will keep an eye on the trading post here too.

why don't u just upload them off camera into computer, let them go to Pictures. then open pictures and find the folder for the upload... windows 8?

That is what I am trying to do. Seems there is no way to do it after all the upgrades. My daughter will be over soon to see if she can help me out. Tech support was worthless.

Was going to ask what you paid for that 460, I really like how they run when ported, they are beasts! Have 3 046/460s and 3 044/440s and in addition to the 362 C and a 024 I'm working on, and I just can't seem to let any of them go!!!

The MS440 had a fried P&C, I cleaned the cylinder, got a new piston and top handle and DP muffler, advanced the timing and deleted the base gasket. The thing is an animal. My brother (who owns a 460) says it is stronger than a 460 but a lot lighter. On the chainsaw dyno all 3 runs produced 6.7 to 6.8 hp. Not bad for an unported 440!!! And, unlike my 044s, it has compression relief! Not bad for less than $100!!! (It had a brand new plug, HD-2 Filter and gas filter, but when they tuned the carb the set the Hi screw 1/4 turn out instead of the Lo, and burned the saw up).

I paid less than $1500 for three brand new 460's. Can anybody tell me what good is chain speed. When the job need to get done at a reasonable pace my 056 super seems to be the right tool.

I have been working with the USFS for more than 30 years and it has been a very large challenge to wade through all the USDA personnel. To get my plan approved took a whole year. My last project has been ongoing for 5 years, but got hung up with details recently. However the scenery and the log piles are pretty nice. Thanks DCP03609.JPG DSCF7.jpg DSCF7.jpg

Took my daughter 2 hours to transfer the pics from my phone to the computer, and 2 calls to her husband (a computer tech). The new process is only about 10 times harder than the old one ... progress .... AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Anyway, the Chestnut Oak I took down on Sunday (luckily with two helpers clearing brush, only took about an hour to drop it and cut to length).

(Tried to post 3 pics, the other 2 are too large!!!)

Attachments

• IMG_20160522_123133125.jpg
    IMG_20160522_123133125.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 18
My visit to the cabin on Monday:

We started on the soffets, and put a railing (and new post) on the inside steps. Also took down a nice dead Ash tree with a straight 30' trunk, but none of them will post.

Attachments

• IMG_20160523_163330859_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160523_163330859_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20160523_163426084.jpg
    IMG_20160523_163426084.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
chippster ~ Looks like you need to stop by and get a new caliper at the grocery store BL:D.

???
Yours looks just like mine except the cracked cover.
A buddy gave mine to me, he bought it at Aldi food market, it's made in germany LOL.

As far as the chords, don't know what a chord is.
But I was just saying a bunch more of those and you'd have a cord, not minimizing the scrounge, it certainly fits in here as well as my tire did.
At least you know what you will do with the wood, the tire just got thrown on the pile of other wheels/tires I've found, maybe someday I will find the trailers and if I do you know I will post it here;).

Latest posts

Back