Shop Re-Sharpened Chains vs. Factory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lyngdal

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I took 7 chains into the old time local shop that I really like, but it took them over two weeks to get all the chains sharpened. The only charged me $44 for all of them, which is overall a pretty good price. Now the downside. I put on of one the freshly sharpened chains on the 038MagII that has a 25" bar and did some test cuts on some 16" oak. Really cut slow. Next I grabbed my 036 with a 20" bar with a brand new 3/8" 33 RS3 72 and cut the same log and it blazed through it. Both saws are well tuned, so it's got to be the chain. Going to hand file the shop sharpened chain and try it again, then put on a fresh Stihl chain and make another cut.
Is this experience an outlier, or do new factory sharpened chains generally out cut shop sharpened chains?
In any event it looks like I need to start shopping for a Grandberg 106B.

I took 7 chains into the old time local shop that I really like, but it took them over two weeks to get all the chains sharpened. The only charged me $44 for all of them, which is overall a pretty good price. Now the downside. I put on of one the freshly sharpened chains on the 038MagII that has a 25" bar and did some test cuts on some 16" oak. Really cut slow. Next I grabbed my 036 with a 20" bar with a brand new 3/8" 33 RS3 72 and cut the same log and it blazed through it. Both saws are well tuned, so it's got to be the chain. Going to hand file the shop sharpened chain and try it again, then put on a fresh Stihl chain and make another cut.
Is this experience an outlier, or do new factory sharpened chains generally out cut shop sharpened chains?

What do the chips look like?

Check to see if the rakers got set to 0.025".

Local Family Center sharpens cutters w/grinder $3 off saw , all even. Attorneys tell them to leave rakers alone? Bobl and search sharping chain together will show anyone ( worked 4 me) good relationship of angles of file and raker height so as to make chips rather than dust. I check new chain to see if it needs touch up. If I can learn to sharp chain most anyone can ,even better than new.

Wonder why it took so long? If I happen to be in the shop I do it while they wait. We charge $10 a loop.
At worst it might take me till the next day if I'm not around.

I do the depth guages if needed. Not sure why that would be an issue, it's only doing half the job if not done.

It's a raker height issue. Not so much as a bright spot on any of them and it looks like I gave them a unmarked chain of dubious heritage. Put a new Stihl RS chain on the saw and breezed through the log. Put that Brand X chain aside for some dirty work to save the good chains from wear.

It's a raker height issue. Not so much as a bright spot on any of them and it looks like I gave them a unmarked chain of dubious heritage. Put a new Stihl RS chain on the saw and breezed through the log. Put that Brand X chain aside for some dirty work to save the good chains from wear.
Pics!!!!!

Buy bench style grinder and sharpen them yourself . I buy new chain and sharpen them before I put them on saw . Bench sharpenings can be way better then factory. There always uneven.
Woodblocker55

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back