Shop Re-Sharpened Chains vs. Factory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else noticed a difference using them on STIHL vs Oregon chains? Mine are the Diamond Brand CBN wheels, which I believe to be the same ones that Bailey's sells.

The STIHL chains seem to overheat faster with the CBN wheels - I am assuming due to different alloy or hardness (not implying that they are 'better' chains because of that).

Philbert

Has anyone else noticed a difference using them on STIHL vs Oregon chains? Mine are the Diamond Brand CBN wheels, which I believe to be the same ones that Bailey's sells.

The STIHL chains seem to overheat faster with the CBN wheels - I am assuming due to different alloy or hardness (not implying that they are 'better' chains because of that).

Philbert

CBN of diamond wheel I don’t think is sold through Baileys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBN of diamond wheel I don’t think is sold through Baileys

I do notice that the CBN wheels cut slower than the Stihl wheels
But a smoother finish on the edge
Grey Stihl wheels are the best I have used but reshaping is a must all the time

I do notice that the CBN wheels cut slower than the Stihl wheels
But a smoother finish on the edge
Grey Stihl wheels are the best I have used but reshaping is a must all the time

b547e381e0bf327b44cb1c2b36e3b9c4.jpg

CBN

I too find Stihl and Carlton chain to heat up faster than Oregon. I use pink (vitrified) wheels. You can sharpen Oregon chain faster as it'll allow you to remove more stock before cooking the cutter. I thought with all these pretty near unused brand new fancy grinder pics with wheels costing more than my grinding setup including 10+ pink wheels from Zhengzhou province. Here...try reading the degrees on this vice!1544766645896-2111778405.jpg 1544766790562217770252.jpg

I've been reading this thread and wondered why some guys are experiencing burned cutters using CBN. I have to really crank down on mine to cause that issue. But I can see from some of the pics in the recent thread posts that the CBN wheels are from solid steel blanks. Mine is made from steel blank as well but has multiple cutouts near the edges with gaps machined through the edge of the wheel from each cutout hole, which breaks contact between the abrasive CBN finish and the cutter as the wheel turns. It also whips up quite a breeze due to the cutouts, which contributes more cooling. It is similar to a dinasaw cyclone in concept. This might explain the difference.

My wheel came from US Diamond. I think it is 80 grit with the 1FF1 profile. I never have needed to dress it which is a good thing because it did not come with a dressing stick.

I've used the CBN and hand filing as well for several years on 3/8 pitch and don't see a real difference between them in the field. You need a little experience with either one to get consistently good results. The difference in my experience is that a grinder with a CBN wheel will shape up a rocked chain in a hurry. I use a pink wheel for my .325 stuff, and dress it before each use to get the wheel profile correct. It's fine but slower and tends to burn the cutters if I'm too aggressive with it. I've never upgraded this one to CBN because I do not use .325 that much.

For touch up work I now mostly file a chain on a filing vise. But if the chain needs more than that, it sees a grinder first, then it's filed if I think it needs a finishing touch or to check and adjust depth gauges, which I always do with a file.

I've been reading this thread and wondered why some guys are experiencing burned cutters using CBN. I have to really crank down on mine to cause that issue. But I can see from some of the pics in the recent thread posts that the CBN wheels are from solid steel blanks. Mine is made from steel blank as well but has multiple cutouts near the edges with gaps machined through the edge of the wheel from each cutout hole, which breaks contact between the abrasive CBN finish and the cutter as the wheel turns. It also whips up quite a breeze due to the cutouts, which contributes more cooling. It is similar to a dinasaw cyclone in concept. This might explain the difference.

My wheel came from US Diamond. I think it is 80 grit with the 1FF1 profile. I never have needed to dress it which is a good thing because it did not come with a dressing stick.

I've used the CBN and hand filing as well for several years on 3/8 pitch and don't see a real difference between them in the field. You need a little experience with either one to get consistently good results. The difference in my experience is that a grinder with a CBN wheel will shape up a rocked chain in a hurry. I use a pink wheel for my .325 stuff, and dress it before each use to get the wheel profile correct. It's fine but slower and tends to burn the cutters if I'm too aggressive with it. I've never upgraded this one to CBN because I do not use .325 that much.

For touch up work I now mostly file a chain on a filing vise. But if the chain needs more than that, it sees a grinder first, then it's filed if I think it needs a finishing touch or to check and adjust depth gauges, which I always do with a file.
Been grinding for 40 years.
ID,OD, form, and the only heat that surprised me is from not dressing the wheel. It should be dull. Shines is heat building steel

PM me your address and I’ll send you a dressing stick.

I like being able to shape the profile of a pink wheel to get the chain cutter side profile the way I want it. Pro's/con's with any wheel type I suppose but its one thing I don't like about CBN style wheels....oh & the price.

Back