Snellerized Dolmar 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was finally able to test advancing the ignition on this 5100S today. Am I ever glad I did. This saw REALLY came alive! It gained everywhere across the powerband, with the most gain at max load. This bad boy really hauls the mail now! I ran it against my 346XP again......and was disappointed. It beat my beloved 346 this time, lol, even if by only a hair. The difference is in the torque this saw makes. This is a great little saw!

Stock ignition timing.

Advanced ignition timing.

My poor little 346XP :)
https://youtu.be/jNlkE0WDFOc

Is the cat removable without splitting the muffler? Is the 5100 muffler a direct swap? It's frustrating that there are no unlimited coil options for the Dolmar saws, plus their mufflers are a pain to mod.

Man I thought saw troll was a husky info king I didn't know that he knows about most all saws

at some point..not sure when. they had an air leak problem at the intake manifold/carb so they added the reinforcement ring
the base gasket as mentioned earlier
there was a crankshaft/flywheel replacement/update in there somewhere
there was another change to the flywheel...cant remember why though
and the air filter/carb foam deal was eliminated
there was also an update to the throttle cable of some sort
different/reduced weight piston

the list is pretty long of small changes/improvements to the saw and i dont remember the exact time frames of them all. there hasnt really been any updates to the 5105's in the last 2-4 years other than making fuel lines be EPA compliant(2011 or 2012) but that is something every manufacturer had to do to be in compliance with evaporative emissions limits.

i couldnt stand it....
Just took a quick peek at ipl's and service bulletins. cat muffler was introduced in 2010 and the 5105 came out in 2009. at a quick glance over the service bulletins with coil in the title i didnt find the date on the 14500 to 13800 change to know whether it was on the 5100 or 5105.

Is the cat removable without splitting the muffler? Is the 5100 muffler a direct swap? It's frustrating that there are no unlimited coil options for the Dolmar saws, plus their mufflers are a pain to mod.
one of the guys that comes in the shop says you can gut the cat without splitting the muffler but i havent tried it, i doubt your able to completely gut the muffler thru the exhaust port tho...there is just too much wedged in there for that to be possible

5100 muffler is a direct swap but i dont think they are much of an improvement over a cat muffler...they are still pretty choked up IIRC

one of the guys that comes in the shop says you can gut the cat without splitting the muffler but i havent tried it, i doubt your able to completely gut the muffler thru the exhaust port tho...there is just too much wedged in there for that to be possible

5100 muffler is a direct swap but i dont think they are much of an improvement over a cat muffler...they are still pretty choked up IIRC
Once I removed the deflector and opened up under it, there was plenty of room to open the baffle.

It wouldn't really matter, as the 346xp is a much neater and more nimble saw. ;)

Come on, you know full well that's an oversimplification: it depends on what you're doing with it, what bar you're hanging off it, and what you're comparing it to.
Sure, a 5100 isn't a 346, but a 346 isn't a 242, either.

Come on, you know full well that's an oversimplification: it depends on what you're doing with it, what bar you're hanging off it, and what you're comparing it to.
Sure, a 5100 isn't a 346, but a 346 isn't a 242, either.
ive never understood that line of thinking either.

i wouldnt really put the 346 and 5105 in the same category either even if they are both 50cc saws.
346 excels as a limbing saw but it lacks the low end grunt to be a decent felling saw. which saw is best always comes down to what you plan on doing with it which troll doesnt seem to understand.

A 510/5100S muffler will bolt right onto a 5105

The Easy Start PS-5105C has a rev limiter of 13,800. The 14,500 coil will not work with the different crank in the 5105. Maybe you could grind the flywheel key and retime the saw?

The 1st generation PS-5105SC has the updated crankcase half but still had a 14,500 RPM coil. The coil is the same as a late model PS-5100S but the lead is shorter with the different wire routing.

PS-5100S models made after March 2009 did have the Catalytic Muffler
PS-5105SC production started in June 2009
PS-5105C production started in March of 2010

The PS-5100S Grey 14,500 coil is discontinued and supersedes to the 13,500 Red coil. I've found the 5100s with the 13,500 coil runs better and cuts faster than the 14,500 coil.

Only 14,500 coil available will be the PS5105SC coil with the shorter lead.

Back