Spiders Nests in Pecan Trees - HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slee

Reaction score
I have these huge spiders webs or nests in my pecan trees in my yard. I'm not sure whether its just my pecan trees, or not, but the pecans seem to have the most. These nests will completely cover the tip of a branch and kill all of the leaves that it surrounds. Is this a problem that anyone else has dealt with?

Sounds like the dreaded gypsy moth tent catepillars to me. They eat all the leaves and kill the tree. I don't know if you have such a thing in Miss. but I remember when I was younger the Northeast was overrun with them. You could here them munching in the trees! I'm not sure what kind of treatments there are. A common one is to remove the branch at first sight of tenting and burn it. I'm sure JPS will probably have the solution and/or the identity of your visitors.

Not gypsy moth

slee,
I believe you have an infestation of Fall Webworms. Pecans are one of their favorites. Natural enemies tend to keep webworms under control, however occasional heavy outbreaks do occur. Find a tree service or pest control company that has the equipment necessary to spray tall trees(assuming they're tall). Timing is important, it may already be too late to get good control.

Thank you for your suggestions. Now that I have an idea of what might be causing the problems, I can take some action!

How can it be fall webworm, it's not even summer yet.:D

I think Newfie got it half right and it is tent cat. A soap or oil spray will take care of them and not pose any harm to anything else (Not directly sprayed that is.) Most companies are useing sevin or one of the newer pyreithroids, that is just so they dont have to come out and respray.

spiders nest

Slee,

Pull one of thoses nests down and take a look at what is inside it. Then go to www.ext.vt.edu and put pecan tree in the search box. If you read a few articles you will find pecan tree pests with pictures. Volia! pest identified and cure explained.

I can't do the reading for you and can't identify the bugs sight unseen. Try the web site.

From what I've been reading on the internet, even though it's only June, I think I have fall webworms. The webs encase the tips of the trees, not the crotch of branches. Also, I live along the coast of Mississippi, and we've had warm weather since February. I was reading one description of fall webworms in Alabama, which stated that webworm activity can start as early as April. I started noticing our webs in May. Also, we have seen caterpillers that more closely resemble the orange species webworm than the tent caterpiller (I think). Finally, it seems in the south that webworms favor pecan trees, which are the trees in my yard that are most affected. Most of what I've read states that though ugly, these are not usually a threat to the tree, but my peacan trees are filled with these webs, and our neighbors also have lots of webs. I'm afraid that even if I attempt to control them, they will just come back from the infestations in our neighbors trees.

does sound like webworms and usually they are just unsightly , but since you have so many you have alot of things you can use to kill them. Conserve , Tempo, Mavrik, Astro or Pyronyl will all control them . Conserve and Pyronyl are both organic. JPM

Sounds like fall webworms

They are called fall webworms because the second generation in the fall can kill a tree. This happens because a large outbreak (in the fall generation) can defoliate the tree, causing the tree to have excessive regrowth of foliage too late in the fall to allow adaquate time for the tree to prepare for winter cold. An early freeze or severe winter can kill or severly damage the tree.

I don't usually see extensive damage from the spring generation in my pecan groves, but it sure looks bad. The fall generation has never been too bad at my place either. If you have only a few trees in your yard, and they are important to you, I would not take a chance and let them get to bad. May be too late for spring, but keep an early watch out later this year.

Back