Square filing videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a picture of the round filed chain and then some of the square filed.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 459
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 430
Without timing it those looked to cut about the same. You guys should see the little hook contraption Tarzan Thomas made to hold each cutter while filing. He is filing outside in with round ground, I dunno if it is worth all that, but I like that hook thangy he's got to wrap around the tooth while free cutting it.

I saw a 25% difference between the two. Thanks for posting these. We're looking a bit thin however.

I don't have a good stop watch. I have to use my phone and it's not that consistent. That's about what I figured by the video editor.

I cannot find my video, but I saw only a 5% difference in a longer cut using u'r square vs my round. Which leads me to believe either the rakers on my round were lower than the square, and the monkey-logic 394 was strong enough to pull it off, you were sandbagging me into a money race, or my round had more agressive angles than yours

I cannot find my video, but I saw only a 5% difference in a longer cut using u'r square vs my round. Which leads me to believe either the rakers on my round were lower than the square, and the monkey-logic 394 was strong enough to pull it off, you were sandbagging me into a money race, or my round had more agressive angles than yours

It's hard to tell. I can't get these kind of gains with a grinder. I can't get the angles like this.

That hand filing square you did is much faster than I thought it would be, although the audio makes it seem rough/ragged. I know it can't be.

I have yet to put my square filed chain in wood, haven't needed to run a 3 foot bar in awhile.

It was my phone being used for audio so it doesn't pick up as good as a real video camera.

Mike I know this is a big request, but if you do break up the chain you were talking about in the other thread would you send me a cutter to study? I enjoy very much analizing the why and having one of your teeth in front of me I believe would help me.

Cus you know you have been regarded here as one of "the" chain grinders.

Mike I know this is a big request, but if you do break up the chain you were talking about in the other thread would you send me a cutter to study? I enjoy very much analizing the why and having one of your teeth in front of me I believe would help me.

Cus you know you have been regarded here as one of "the" chain grinders.

I can. I may be able to dig you one up out of my scrap chain pile from shortening chains over the years.

Latest posts

Back