Stihl 009 - Need to change impulse line!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_Shaft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright, just picked up a little used 009 that "did not run".

Went straight for the carb, saw that the fuel line was black tygon and in good shape, but what appears to be the impuse line which drops down through the casing of the saw and into (I assume) the engine area is dried and cracked. This hose attaches to a barbed male hose fitting that appears to lead to the fuel tank.

I do not have a parts diagram or IPL for this saw and was wondering if any of you have a tip on how I can access the crank case of the engine easiest or at least the space where the impulse line receives its feed pressure.

Thanks!

attachment.php

That's just the tank vent. Remember to replace the grub screws in the hose. You can access the "far end" by removing the little panel behind the clutch area (item 21)

I'm confused.

The black tygon fuel line passes through the body of the saw and connects straight to the carb.

This other hose goes from a hose barb (from the tank) then in front of the carb and down through the "floor" of the carb area into the engine area.

The attached parts diagram shows 3 hoses:

#22 = Fuel Line, easy enough
#14 looks like the tank vent
#17 I really do not recognize. Maybe that filter is down in the clutch area?

I haven't dug in that far yet, I will have to get back at it tonight when the missus gets off shift.

I'm posting this here because it sounds related to the thread. I was given a filthy, abused and unloved 010 by a guy at work who did not want to see it again. While cleaning it up I found a pointy ended grub screw floating around loose inside the air filter/carby chamber. I can't see any obvious place for it on the carby. There is a hose/hole at the top of the chamber that is coming from the tank, my guess is this is the tank vent but can't see how this screw can fit into that hose and if it did wouldn't it just block the vent?

Anyone have any ideas where this goes.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice. After I removed the little panel behind the clutch drum, the remains of the vent line and the screw + a little sponge filter were found. I am still a little confused as to why there would be a screw in the end of a vent line, but I guess it's to restrict airflow to some degree. Either way I just duplicated what was already there and used a black tygon hose in the place of the old clear/yellow line.

I replaced the vent line, cleaned up the carb, removed all housings to remove all the dirt (what do people cut with the used saws I buy, turds?!?!) and repaired the kill switch and this 009 appears to be working just fine now.

AS.com proves its worth once again :rock:

I'm posting this here because it sounds related to the thread. I was given a filthy, abused and unloved 010 by a guy at work who did not want to see it again. While cleaning it up I found a pointy ended grub screw floating around loose inside the air filter/carby chamber. I can't see any obvious place for it on the carby. There is a hose/hole at the top of the chamber that is coming from the tank, my guess is this is the tank vent but can't see how this screw can fit into that hose and if it did wouldn't it just block the vent?

My 009 has a male hose barb coming out of the tank and into the carb chamber; a hose attaches to this location, is routed across the chamber and then down into an area just behind the clutch drum. This is where the screw is threaded into the hose on my saw and it appears to work well.

Thanks Jack, I Read Manual and I found where it goes. Now I have a new problem - no reed valve and some metal powder inside the crankcase ! Do I need to strip it down completely or will a half dozen good rinses of 2-stroke fuel into the crankcase suffice?

Thanks

Yikes, if your reed valve is missing I'd be quite concerned about that. Reeds don't just "blow out your exhaust" so I'd highly recommend a ccase inspection before trying to fire the thing up again.

You can try a flush, but if you are weary of heavy debris, a flush is not going to help you.

Missing reed valve

Yikes, if your reed valve is missing I'd be quite concerned about that. Reeds don't just "blow out your exhaust" so I'd highly recommend a ccase inspection before trying to fire the thing up again.

You can try a flush, but if you are weary of heavy debris, a flush is not going to help you.

yep - found more than powder ie actual bits inside the crankcase - looks like a strip down job. It may not be worth it,

Last edited:
Back