STIHL 193t vs Husky 435

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth - a husky 445 or stihl 251 isn't really lighter than an 026.
A 435 is a bit, a 192/193 is a fair bit lighter.

Good luck.

I don't have a MS211, but I do have an old 021.
I also have the Husky 435 rear handle.
Doing trail cutting you might be happier with the Stihl.
They are easier to restart when warm.
I know the proper starting procedure for the Husky, but if I'm going to do something where I need to stop and restart a saw multiple times,
I will grab the Stihl.
Just my opinion.

i found a local guy who rebuilds saws, he has and 024, 026, and 028, he recommended the 024 @ $225...thoughts?

If it is rebuilt with good parts that's cheaper than you can get a clean 025 on eBay.

He's actually an old friend that I did not know was rebuilding saws on the side. I trust he did it right! I was close to pulling the trigger on a Dolmar 421 when a friend mentioned he was rebuilding STIHL's.

I'm still holding off on the 024, the guy that makes the mounts for them says no go on the old 024....

so I'm back to the drawing board, might just get a dolmar/makita ps 421 and use a generic rack, or a dakine builders back pack.

doesn't have to be a stihl, I was originally looking at the 193t because trail tech made that slick mount, another company makes a mount that is just as slick for back handle stihls, but it cost more than the saw. and honestly for the amount of time I'll be riding with it, I could go with the cheaper $100 mount and just about any relatively light saw I wanted.

i have to differ with sawtroll's characterization of top handled saws being unsuitable on the ground, especially while astride a scooter. once you become accustomed to using a top handle and learn to do it safely, you'll grab it any time you want a small saw. remember, you're more likely to be injured by wood than your saw. the smallest rear handle saw i use is in the 70cc range next step down is a 36cc echo top handle or 020t stihl. yes, i use them for climbing too. i find 40cc, 50cc and 60cc saws to be pretty useless the weight and ergonomics aren't much different from a decent saw but they cut slower. the ability to operate a saw with one hand, freeing the other to deal with wood or your own stability is an asset. any power tool is dangerous so pay attention, always use two hands when you can, wear a helmet, and keep your ass behind you.

I have no intentions of cutting when on the bike like the guys shows in the demo. I'll be off the bike and holding the saw with both hands regardless of top handle or rear handle. I do like the idea of the light weight of the 192/193 I guess the a 170 would be just as light as well. I would say that a lot of the stuff I would need to cut is 12-18" with some smaller stuff mixed in.

I have no intentions of cutting when on the bike like the guys shows in the demo. I'll be off the bike and holding the saw with both hands regardless of top handle or rear handle. I do like the idea of the light weight of the 192/193 I guess the a 170 would be just as light as well. I would say that a lot of the stuff I would need to cut is 12-18" with some smaller stuff mixed in.

a top handle saw will fit better on your bike or in a back pack. most of the saws that have been recommended to you are stihl home owner types. really the 193t falls into that category too, but i've heard that it is a usable saw. stihl is more of a religion than a saw. i prefer the echo top handles but i'm in a minority there. the small husky rear handles mentioned earlier aren't any better than the stihls. if you want a small, plastic, rear handle go for a poulan. you'll be paying for a saw instead of advertising. some of the hombres on this site get their panties in a knot any time you mention a top handle but once you use one 'til you're proficient it will be your favorite saw for tree work. (like clearing and maintaining trails)

just checked out the echo cs303t top handle, and it is only slightly cheaper than the STIHL 193T. if the 193t is a decent saw and fits the slick trailtech mount then it's probably a good fit...albeit expensive $350 for the saw and $200 for the bike mount.....it's a shame they don't make that bike mount for more saws because it is the sh!t!! as far as carrying the saw on the front of the bike. but they probably picked the 192t for it's light weight.

it's hard to find info on the 193t since its fairly new, but the 192 got great reviews for a saw of it's size....

but for a $350 saw, I could get a dolmar ps 421 or makita equivilent. which I've read to be a very good quality back handle saw. but then I need a way to carry a slightly heavier back handle saw on the bike.

unrelated to stihl or dolmar i did see this little hitachi for $200 that comes with a 7 year waranty which I think is Tanaka? http://www.lowes.com/pd_360038-67702-CS33EB16___?productId=3453808&pl=1&Ntt=chainsaw+hitachi

or the top handle version for slightly more: http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-CS33E...1440504300&sr=8-1&keywords=hitachi+top+handle

might be chinese junk..??

a top handle saw will fit better on your bike or in a back pack. most of the saws that have been recommended to you are stihl home owner types. really the 193t falls into that category too, but i've heard that it is a usable saw. stihl is more of a religion than a saw. i prefer the echo top handles but i'm in a minority there. the small husky rear handles mentioned earlier aren't any better than the stihls. if you want a small, plastic, rear handle go for a poulan. you'll be paying for a saw instead of advertising. some of the hombres on this site get their panties in a knot any time you mention a top handle but once you use one 'til you're proficient it will be your favorite saw for tree work. (like clearing and maintaining trails)
just checked out the echo cs303t top handle, and it is only slightly cheaper than the STIHL 193T. if the 193t is a decent saw and fits the slick trailtech mount then it's probably a good fit...albeit expensive $350 for the saw and $200 for the bike mount.....it's a shame they don't make that bike mount for more saws because it is the sh!t!! as far as carrying the saw on the front of the bike. but they probably picked the 192t for it's light weight.

it's hard to find info on the 193t since its fairly new, but the 192 got great reviews for a saw of it's size....

but for a $350 saw, I could get a dolmar ps 421 or makita equivilent. which I've read to be a very good quality back handle saw. but then I need a way to carry a slightly heavier back handle saw on the bike.

unrelated to stihl or dolmar i did see this little hitachi for $200 that comes with a 7 year waranty which I think is Tanaka? http://www.lowes.com/pd_360038-67702-CS33EB16___?productId=3453808&pl=1&Ntt=chainsaw+hitachi

or the top handle version for slightly more: http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-CS33E...1440504300&sr=8-1&keywords=hitachi+top+handle

might be chinese junk..??

i haven't had any experience with the hitachis. hitachi is a japanese company but i'm sure they, just like stihl. outsource everything they can to china. you just can't compete with school children who will work for pennies. but here's the thing, find out which saw fits you best, forget about the msrp and just go for it. if you take care of it it will last you a life time. regarding the $200 mount, chances are that quite a few saws would fit in there with a bungee. top handle or rear? quit agonizing. get both. echo 303t? probably my first choice of all you've mentioned. i have two echo 360t's, both ten years of nearly daily use, still strong and beautiful.

ktmguy-

here's an interesting quote from another thread on top handle saws, last wednesday. notice his comment "but feels nice." maybe i'll order one.

To heck with that. I have been a Stihl guy (chainsaws, blowers, polesaws, weed whackers, etc.) all my life but...I just today bought an Echo cs355T from a local dealer for $349.99 with a 5 YEAR warranty. I haven't used it yet but feels nice. Look out Stihl, as you may price and policy more and more folks into looking at other options !

ktmguy-

here's an interesting quote from another thread on top handle saws, last wednesday. notice his comment "but feels nice." maybe i'll order one.

To heck with that. I have been a Stihl guy (chainsaws, blowers, polesaws, weed whackers, etc.) all my life but...I just today bought an Echo cs355T from a local dealer for $349.99 with a 5 YEAR warranty. I haven't used it yet but feels nice. Look out Stihl, as you may price and policy more and more folks into looking at other options !

I did notice that Home Chepo has the 355t on sale for $349 until November!

How much trail work do you really have. A while ago I was a member of a club that put on a few motorcycle enduro events a year. They had a club saw that had a strap with it. I can't be sure of all the specifics but I use a top handle, tie a rope to the attachment point at the rear and the other end (might need be thinner) goes through a hole in the bar and scabbard. If you really need go far perhaps a real strap should be used. Do you wear a chest protector?

The 0.043 gague chain is pretty close to idiot proof on a 7 tooth nose in my opinion.

yes, I wear a chest protector. I'll be working on trails close to my house which were devastated by Hurricane Sandy...lots of blow downs

I would expect a chest protector would minimize negative effects of the strap digging into the shoulder and saw bouncing off the back. I don't use one very often.

I really like top handle saws but get ones with the side handle as far forward and basically vertical as I can.

Often bike guys clear trail ie cut out a two foot piece of the trunk as the quad/atv guys generally are not your friends when it comes to land owner permissions. Modifying the trail around was popular as well. Logging creates similar to blow down situations.

I did notice that Home Chepo has the 355t on sale for $349 until November!

That should be a very good saw for tree trimming (not firewood cutting) and the price isn't bad. I keep three echo 360t's for my tree work. One goes up in the tree with me. One stays by the chipper to trim things that won't fit and the third is a backup/limber. I also have an Stihl 020t (the kind that is the same as a 200t) but it spends most of it's time on a shelf under my bench. I like the way the echos balance and their dependability.

Here's a thread that shows two of my echos and the 020:

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...oving-air-intake-time-cuts-comparison.280254/

Which ever saw you choose, you should look at a 12" guidebar for it. The shorter bar will give it more power, a better balance and will be easier to move around in tight quarters. Someone may try to sell you a husqvarna 338/339t. I would advise against that. they have poor balance due to the handle/throttle control being set too far back, and they're hard to work on.

Funny thing, I just bought my 5th 360t a few days ago from an hombre in Los Alamos (where they've had a lot of forest fires.) He'd been carrying it on his 220cc yamaha for trail clearing but sold it to me because he wants a 193t and The Rack for his KTM 2stroke. It's almost new and a deal at $140.

Funny thing, I just bought my 5th 360t a few days ago from an hombre in Los Alamos (where they've had a lot of forest fires.) He'd been carrying it on his 220cc yamaha for trail clearing but sold it to me because he wants a 193t and The Rack for his KTM 2stroke. It's almost new and a deal at $140.

I guess that is the thing that keeps drawing me back to the 192/3....that Trail Tech mount is hard to beat for easy on/off of the bike........

If the debris is light as in a branch here and there why not a a quality handsaw like a silky zubat ??? You might be surprised at how wicked fast they cut. I don't even bother with my top handle when I'm in the tree unless it's bigger than 2 inches. 100$ or less on amazon comes with a sheath strap it to your leg and go. Just keep the pine pitch off it and it will cut like a samurai sword through hot dogs

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Back