STIHL 193t vs Husky 435

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think twice, just buy the new one unless you see a mint one second hand for $200.
Top handles fall into two categories second hand, homeowner saws that were used a dozen times and ex arb saws that are no longer reliable for professional use.
The 192 isn't a saw that is easy or cheap to refresh/rebuild. A new chain and bar, air and fuel filters, some hoses and you are at new price and the saw is still second hand.
You'll need a second chain, some filing gear, etc. the dealer might cut you a deal if you buy new.
Then when you decide it runs fine with no obvious issues you can look at modifying it.
The only other choice would be to pm brad Snelling about one that is already modified.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/introducing-the-stihl-ms193t.274926/#post-5252744

Thanks for verifying that! I have been following ebay and craigs and it seem the ones that go for a decent price are pretty beat up which was making me question why would anyone spend close to $300 on a 192 when you can buy the 193 for $40 more brand new and have a warranty?? it was making me think there was something much better about the older 192. I'll PM Brad and see if he has anything...otherwise I'll go to my local dealer on Monday and grab one.

OK buying a new 193t....now can't decide to just buy local with warranty and have it snellerized down the road of need be. or say screw the warranties and buy a new one already snellerized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some would argue saying opening up the muffler and proper tune would help reduce unnecessary wear and tear.

I would ask how good is your local dealer? Have you ever seen how they handle warranty issues?
My 192 ran very good in stock form.
I did do a Mm and it did give it a little more.
If you have a great dealer then I would give them your business.
On the other hand having a guru go through the saw and send it in great working order has its purks as well.

the dealer is pretty good...don't know about warranty work as I've never bought a saw from them...just dirt bikes (they generally don't come with warranties) they did quote me $319.00 for the 193 and said they would give me the 2yr warranty without having to buy the stihl oil...since they know I run good synthetic Motul in my motorcycles.

I would ask them if open ing up the muffler and adjusting the carb for such would effect your warranty. They may not care. If so buy from them and send it to brad.

Some would argue saying opening up the muffler and proper tune would help reduce unnecessary wear and tear.

I would ask how good is your local dealer? Have you ever seen how they handle warranty issues?
My 192 ran very good in stock form.
I did do a Mm and it did give it a little more.
If you have a great dealer then I would give them your business.
On the other hand having a guru go through the saw and send it in great working order has its purks as well.
Advance the timing too and its a totally different saw

I say buy one from Brad already modded, they're turds stock and in 20 years of commercial tree work i've never had a saw that needed warranty work.

I just grabbed one from the dealer (right acroos the road from my job) figured I couldn't go wrong at that price...if I'm unhappy with it stock, I'll send it out to Brad and be at the same price. They even threw in an extra chain....albeit a green chain....

I could probably do the MM myself also...didn't look too involved from the pictures I saw....don't know about adjusting the carb or advancing the ign.

I really wonder why people pay so much for these of Ebay with the DSRP is $339.00 brand new?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-MS-19...ar-Arborist-/361386152023?hash=item54244b1057

Muffler mod is easy....just take the deflector off and open the whole triangle up on the muffler

The timing is too really....i was way over thinking it before i did mine and a member here made a video for me and i did it in about 15 minutes. I'll find the video and post it here.

Trimming the carb ears is simple too....open up the air filter cover and remove the filter and the black plate under it and you'll see the tabs to trim on the H screw. I used an Exacto knife.

Thanks for the vids! looks pretty easy. and the snellerized saw sounds and cuts nicely for a 30cc saw with what looks to be a 16" bar! I'm guessing, he's not running the stock green chain?

I'll probably start with the MM, and see how it goes from there.

Thanks for the vids! looks pretty easy. and the snellerized saw sounds and cuts nicely for a 30cc saw with what looks to be a 16" bar! I'm guessing, he's not running the stock green chain?

I'll probably start with the MM, and see how it goes from there.
I believe that is PS3 which is full chisel chain. Its labeled green but its not really, the little bumpers are shorter than the raker.

the sales guy said I couldn't fit the yellow chain without going to a different bar? he mentioned filing down the bumpers a bit to get better cutting.

ok, good to know, am I better off swapping out the bar and chain right now, or just let these wear down and replace later? sorry for all the noob questions. I'm still waiting for the motorcycle mount to show up so I have time to tinker with the new saw.

If you haven't used it yet see if the dealer will swap it for the .050 set up. All you need is a bar and chain.

The .043 isn't that bad and on a stock or maybe even muffler modded saw it'll be a litttle faster than .050 because its taking a small bite. The only problem is its all safety chain and your options a very limited.

the dealer is pretty good...don't know about warranty work as I've never bought a saw from them...just dirt bikes (they generally don't come with warranties) they did quote me $319.00 for the 193 and said they would give me the 2yr warranty without having to buy the stihl oil...since they know I run good synthetic Motul in my motorcycles.

Wouldn't make a difference if you bought Ultra or not. Top handle saws are warrantied for 3 months regardless who buys it. Shouldn't have to worry about major defects, but if you get one past 3 months, it'd be interesting to see how they handle it out of their pocket.

Back