Stihl MS 261 and 362 get an Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl reps seem to be the last to know (or admit) anything. We know that the saws are already in production in Virginia and in Germany from saws that some dealers have already gotten (and reported) by SN. They also spilled the goods on these saws on the web site in Germany. What happens is that distributor and factory inventory has to be cleared out before they release or ship the newer models. Previous releases of new saws in the states generally happened by region, and by dealer stock. When inventory runs low, they order more saws, and the distributor/factory ships them. Then when the old model runs out at the distributor warehouses they order and ship newer model saws to dealers. When they are sold out at the dealer, they put the new ones on the shelves for sale. Seemingly they have a lot of older model 261s out there now and that is why the big sale in Canada and Europe. It also seems that they wanted to keep these releases quiet by not increasing the model numbers on them, even though they are obviously significantly new designs. These saws also do not appear on the 'new products' list on the US web sites. Another (and bad) idea that they lifted from Husky. Husky has released two different design 346 model saws, three different design 372 saws, and several different design 365 saws.

When I asked if they would be clear I g out the old models they said no but the 261 ( that never goes on sale) is on sale:). Eitherway I like the price and considering the price went up $60 on the 362 i can assume at least a $40 increase on the 261.

Stihl knows how to keep a secret well, husky not so much. What you need to look for are the clues, like price reductions on models due to be replaced etc. With the wieght differences of these new updated pro grade saws, the old models will be a hard sell when sitting next to the new ones.

hi there, so I just ordered my stilh 261 cm vw two weeks ago and came in. I am on a rotational shift and I am picking it up on Tuesday, the price was 824.00 plus tax with 18 inch bar. Should I tell the dealer to get me the type 2?. I am in Canada by the way. I like that the clutch cover on the type 1 is metal, is it on the type 2? Can I get a cheaper price if I stick with the type 1? for almost a grand I only want to do this once. thanks any help would be appreciated.

hi there, so I just ordered my stilh 261 cm vw two weeks ago and came in. I am on a rotational shift and I am picking it up on Tuesday, the price was 824.00 plus tax with 18 inch bar. Should I tell the dealer to get me the type 2?. I am in Canada by the way. I like that the clutch cover on the type 1 is metal, is it on the type 2? Can I get a cheaper price if I stick with the type 1? for almost a grand I only want to do this once. thanks any help would be appreciated.

That may very well be the new one. BUT that is a quite high. The " Old " one is 599. so I can not see the newish one being that much more. He is quoiting you full pop and no one sell the saw for that price. 599 is what it is sold for right now 724 is what the list is. My suggestion is hold off. At the very least ask what the winter pricing will be

It is on the website of each dealers in my area.
Including my area.

I am a dealer yes, and I would have to say have a chat with your dealer as they will certainly sell it to you for that price. Dealer cost pricing is pretty much set. So in his case that is a pretty nice profit. Again if that is the " old " model. He has stock yeah? Any other dealers in your area?

Hey rock yeah I called them and they were not aware of promotion, they called Stihl and got me a price on the " old" saw for 703.00 with a 18 inch bar and arctic model. Plus they are giving me the woodsman pro kit. I am thinking its a good deal. They are not aware of the new models and neither is Stihl canada so I don't know about new version . On the new version is the clutch cover plastic or metal? Thanks in advance your info saved me almost 130 bucks

These new top secret saws are pictured in the latest stihl full line catalog. I just picked one up at the PA farm show. The booth was closed so I have no idea if either of the saws were there but their mug shots are in the book. Nothing new or exciting in the description other than the 10.8lbs and 4.0hp listed for the 261. 550xp is getting nervous...

Hi,

i picked up my new 261 today.

No chain, bar or fuel. 4,9kg

img_20160208_122743yobxl.jpg

New clutch cover: 0,16 kg - seems to be very thin

img_20160208_12281762yg6.jpg

old clutch cover: 0,280kg

img_20160208_122956tobp1.jpg

img_20160208_123100q2b21.jpg

img_20160208_123106clahv.jpg

img_20160208_1231150saw8.jpg

img_20160208_123123uvyvi.jpg