Stihl MS 291 burnt out after 1 hr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't think the brake was on. If u'r used to a more rugged saw and robust clutch, u'r cutting style may have caused clutch slippage.

Yeah, I'm at a loss. The people in the "brake was on" camp seem to be thoroughly convinced of this fact. It was a frustrating conversation with the Stihl rep, but I wasn't a ***** about it either. He said, paraphrasing, "sorry, but you can't say anything that is going to change the decision. all evidence points to the chain brake being left on during operation. wish i could give you better news". AKA the decision has been made.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where the Stihl guys are coming from. I'm sure idiots do dumb s--- and lie to them all the time. Just not in this instance. It's frustrating because it feels like most people in this thread think I am a Kete.

Hey, he got all three on the ground! Almost died, but they're on the ground.

I think that might be a record actually...1:1 barber chair to cut ratio and still alive.

Yeah, I'm at a loss. The people in the "brake was on" camp seem to be thoroughly convinced of this fact. It was a frustrating conversation with the Stihl rep, but I wasn't a ***** about it either. He said, paraphrasing, "sorry, but you can't say anything that is going to change the decision. all evidence points to the chain brake being left on during operation. wish i could give you better news". AKA the decision has been made.

It doesn't matter if the brake caused the clutch to slip, or you bogging the saw down and making the clutch slip. The end result is the same.

Now quit posting my tree felling videos!!

Stihl should give you another saw and be happy the crappy chain brake that doesn't work properly did this instead of cutting your thoat from a kick back! I would take that thing to a Husqvarna dealer and see if he'll give you $50 off a nice 555 metal case saw with outboard clutch. It would be a great sales tool for him! :chainsaw:

It doesn't matter if the brake caused the clutch to slip, or you bogging the saw down and making the clutch slip. The end result is the same.

Now quit posting my tree felling videos!!

Well the end result may be the same but it would be more likely to be a covered repair if they would believe that it was not the chain brake. Because when you eliminate the chain brake it opens up all sorts of different scenarios, some of which were operator error and some of which were not. I find it insulting that you are hell bent on being determined this is operator error. I can't wait until this happens to you and you try to explain your way out of it while 20 people on a forum who don't know you say you're an idiot. See how fun it is.

Well the end result may be the same but it would be more likely to be a covered repair if they would believe that it was not the chain brake. Because when you eliminate the chain brake it opens up all sorts of different scenarios, some of which were operator error and some of which were not. I find it insulting that you are hell bent on being determined this is operator error. I can't wait until this happens to you and you try to explain your way out of it while 20 people on a forum who don't know you say you're an idiot. See how fun it is.
He happens to know quite a bit about saws there so it ain't going to happen so easily.

I know the saw only had an hour or so on it. Maybe the guy before you fired it up on high idle with the brake engaged and it didn't do noticeable damage. No accusations. Just pondering the "what if's"

Hey just got back to this thread and read all the different opinions. There is something odd about the set up with a composite body if it melts it with a new saw . If you have the chain break on with an newer 290 or 291 it will not slip it does not have the power it will load up and die out . I'm thinking that you may need a lighter spring on the clutch assembly to keep the clutch engage in a lower RPM that would stop the clutch from making to much slip and heating up the clutch drum. My personal opinion I think the composite bodies are a bad design .nothing should be so easily melted next to a clutch assembly.

And it does make for a harder repair because there is an oiler nipple on your upper right on the housing body that once it gets hot it melts or becomes very
Brittle and brakes off . Also I think is a design flaw.

Latest posts

Back