Stihl MS 291 burnt out after 1 hr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just fix it now as cheap as possible.

I plan on it, but I've got a bunch of other projects that need to get started when the weather clears. Tree work is only a small portion of our business. Saw will have to sit on the bench for a few weeks.

i see nips...... YOUR BOONED! S S will be here soon young man!
Yeah, I'm here, Much as like the girly pics, and I do like the girly pics. The threatening post need to stop. That won't be tolerated. Now back to the topic and girlie pics, clean ones of course.

All I've seen from all the pictures in this thread were heartache and TROUBLE...

Yeah, I don't know how you the clutch drum could spin with the brake on to make the groove. I have a strong ms311 in my garage and it won't move the drum with the brake on and if the drum is spinning it stops instantly at WOT...and the brake is pretty hair trigger so I don't see how it could be a partially engaged brake unless the spring was weak or something.

Could oil or water on the outer surface of the drum allow it to spin with brake on?

Yeah, I don't know how you the clutch drum could spin with the brake on to make the groove. I have a strong ms311 in my garage and it won't move the drum with the brake on and if the drum is spinning it stops instantly at WOT...and the brake is pretty hair trigger so I don't see how it could be a partially engaged brake unless the spring was weak or something.

Could oil or water on the outer surface of the drum allow it to spin with brake on?

I appreciate when posters like you try to think outside the box and come up with different scenarios. The guy from Stihl absolutely would not back down from his stance about the chain brake being on. But as I said before, he has seen a lot more of them than I have, and some of the more experienced on here seem convinced of the chain brake/operator error scenario as well.

43f9c1016161f8acae57cf17020a72a9.jpg
3aa0b96ed44d95f36c92760f13b14070.jpg
7ad2155eae2a011efb0afda03c84dc7b.jpg
e634c0d55f2140d98ce3e7d63cf42552.jpg
1ace073392fd6527080a49ff579add26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you get anything done??? Except uh.....well...... You know.:laughing:

Latest posts

Back