Stihl MS241C-M vs Husqvarna 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to sell my Stihl 025 and MS390 and was planning to buy the MS241C-M. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of both the MS241C-M and Husky 543XP? Specs are pretty close on both.

I'd go with neither if you plan on replacing both. I would rather get something like the 261.

Further I see nothing wrong with Zenoah / Red Max. It is true that it isn't typical Husqvarna character, but I still have never heard of any defects here or in european forums. So I truely doubt you could go truely wrong with either. And if I understand correctly from mweba the japanese saw needs quite some time to run in.

The Husky is really a rebadged Redmax. Don't expect a traditional XP saw. I'd go for the MS241C.

I don't want to pick you up on this Brad but in the interest of balance and fairness, have you first hand experience with the 543 in ownership type use?

I have. It's a fine saw to use and maintain and IMHO is deserving of its place in the XP lineup. The more I use mine the more I like it, and it's not like I don't have a choice of a 242 if I wasn't happy with it. All the criticisms or shortcomings people keep restating on AS are understandably from the perspective of saw-**** fans, not Joe Average owners and users. I'm the latter in this case. It's a good saw, well made and does exactly what it says on the tin.

That said, I'd take a 550 over a 543 any day for a 'one saw plan' if that's what the OP is going for and it was in reach of his budget.

I don't want to pick you up on this Brad but in the interest of balance and fairness, have you first hand experience with the 543 in ownership type use?

I have. It's a fine saw to use and maintain and IMHO is deserving of its place in the XP lineup. The more I use mine the more I like it, and it's not like I don't have a choice of a 242 if I wasn't happy with it. All the criticisms or shortcomings people keep restating on AS are understandably from the perspective of saw-**** fans, not Joe Average owners and users. I'm the latter in this case. It's a good saw, well made and does exactly what it says on the tin.

That said, I'd take a 550 over a 543 any day for a 'one saw plan' if that's what the OP is going for and it was in reach of his budget.

Thanks. I forgot to mention in my original post that I also have an MS362C, so the new saw would be part of the duo. When I bought the MS362, I planned to sell the MS290 and keep the 025, but I decided to sell both and upgrade my smaller saw.

I agree, it's a good saw. But it's not a Husky XP.

How often does one see a 241cm for sale used? Not often. The market knows a good product. l run many brands and try to pick the good models any brand has to offer. The 241cm has been out for quite some time with next to nill complaints for any reason. It has everything you get with a big pro saw in a small package with all latest saw tech. l think many would rate the 241cm 'best in class' for the 40cc catagory. There is other good options from dolmar, husky ect that are good value and cheaper......but not better.

I was just logging on to search for a thread about these two saws and there it was! I am thinking about getting the 241 but am open to looking at the 543 first. Didn't know it wasn't a true husky though. The 241 is on sale right now too so it probably won't be a fair comparison.

I have a 241 and I'm very happy with it. Would I buy it again - absolutely !

Also, it pairs up very well my with MS 362.

Back