Stihl Square File Loops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lf l had a Silvey grinder l would buy stihl square but hand filing l prefer somthing softer. I ran my handfile oregon cl .404 yesterday and it was more of a treat than the norm as l don't like the hard work at the end of the day handfiling. Usually 10-20 mins gets ALL my semi chisel chains sharp that l swapped out during the day. l actually now laugh when l remeber hand filing all my work chains at night after work....some days it would take ages with a couple of rocked ones in the mix. Then l was given a china copy oregon 511ax and life is good! Good to see ya found a good square chain source Mike, also Randy at weedeaterman is good for square chain.

I don't have a grinder, but I can hand sharpen the Stihl square file (unless it has been rocked) about as fast as I used to hand file round. I just make sure I keep the saw lower than I do with round so I can get the corners right.

I could get them at a local dealer, and I don't have to leave home!
4ce7.jpg

When hand filing square do you just do it by eye, or does someone make a guide?
ATOP makes a guide . You can get it from Baileys . It's not cheap . And , you are pretty much stuck with one filing angle , which ismore of a race chain angle than a work chain angle . And the files are pretty pricey as well .
Having said that , I have one ,and it's helped me wrap my head around hand filing square chain .

I'm using the PFERD "Three Square" file, (like a triangle with flat sides) which likely takes up less space than what you are using, but I still hit the strap on the opposite side.

I just make sure I keep the saw lower than normal so I can see & line up the corners.

Do you guys consider square chain sharp from the factory?

I've been happy with the way the Stihl RSL & RSLK has come to me. It out cuts RS, and I just try to maintain factory sharpness. Also holds and edge in hardwood just as good as RS, so to me there is no downside (other than the cost of the files and learning how to sharpen it).

I am so glad it is now available in loops, costing less than I was paying by the roll!

Also, out here in the East, you are kinda on your own. I don't have a grinder, and NO ONE AROUND HERE SHARPENS SQUARE. If you rock a chain, you will spend some time fixing it.

Back