Stihl Square File Loops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys consider square chain sharp from the factory?
Not really . It's close to ,or maybe a bit better than RS . After messing with the ATOP ,and deciding that I like most everything about square chisel , I've ordered a Simington . I figure that it'll let me work out what grinds work best for various cutting conditions . Ain't CAD and it's related afflictions grand ?

When hand filing square do you just do it by eye, or does someone make a guide?
You can get one of the old Nygran File-n-Joints on ebay. You want one that has slots cut into the end pieces for a double bevel file. I have one and it works well. Also, Granberg made a model (g-107) that is made for square filing only. I got one of those over the weekend, so I haven't played with it yet, but it has a full adjustment capability for all of the filing angles. There are a couple of Nygrans with the slots on ebay right now. As a caution, a lot of those units are pretty worn out, so you might have to buy one for the end pieces and then put them onto a newer or new File-n-Joint main assembly. I think the one I am using has parts from about three units on it, but that's what it took to get it the way I wanted it.

Anyone know how square file chain would perform for milling? I understand the angles would need to be adjusted for that application... just wondering if anyone has heard anything. Maybe I should go ask in the milling section..?

Anyone know how square file chain would perform for milling? I understand the angles would need to be adjusted for that application... just wondering if anyone has heard anything. Maybe I should go ask in the milling section..?

In my experience it cuts better then round does milling ,is smoother ,but..........with any chisel chain milling it will leave scratches in the finish because of the pointed corner , vs a ripping chain with round outer corner ,so square is faster ,but at a sacrifice of finish ,if you are going to plane the wood ,it may not matter which chain you use .

Depends on the wood. I got a great finish from semi skip in poplar. In oak and cherry it was a little rougher.

Do you guys consider square chain sharp from the factory?
Not really
RSL is about equal to RS, both off the roll
Clean the gullets; in RSL you will feel the improvement, RS not so much

None of them compare to a good square filed work chain.

I'm using the PFERD "Three Square" file, (like a triangle with flat sides)

Maybe that's why you like the factory RSL so much,
that file youre using wont allow your cutters to get any sharper than factory makes them :)

Mike if you want, send me a loop of RS or RSL and I will throw an edge on it, make sure you have a few of the same size loops so you can run your square and factory RSL against it.:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

I'm using the PFERD "Three Square" file, (like a triangle with flat sides) which likely takes up less space than what you are using, but I still hit the strap on the opposite side.

I just make sure I keep the saw lower than normal so I can see & line up the corners.
Double bevel is flat, takes up less room than a 3 corner.

I have a hard time hand filing a new chain, file hits previous raker. It's much easier after I run it through the razur sharp and change the angles

Thanks for the offer Mopar. I have never claimed to make the sharpest chain, just want to be able to make good working chain, and be able to do it in the field.

I do find it ironic that I have both been criticized for not being a good chain sharpener, then told that my saws only do well at GTG because my chain is sharper!

Sometimes, you just can't win!

Thanks for the offer Mopar. I have never claimed to make the sharpest chain, just want to be able to make good working chain, and be able to do it in the field.

I do find it ironic that I have both been criticized for not being a good chain sharpener, then told that my saws only do well at GTG because my chain is sharper!

Sometimes, you just can't win!
If you are making a good chain with the 3 triangles, then I bet you that you would make an even better chain with a double bevel

Latest posts

Back